Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
failing out of college...what to do with my life
    #2612812 - 04/28/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i just found out today that im about 90% garunteed to fail out of the college that im going to.  so now i am stuck with the decision of what to do with the rest of my life.  My parents will not help me to pay for my college anymore at this point so... should i take out loans and finish off school, or i dunno even if it would be worth it at this point to take out more loans.

im already 20,000 in debt to loans for 2 years of college with a 1.9 gpa.  i feel lost, i havnt been this sad in a long time...but at the same time i feel excited, like now i have the chance to live a life free of the expectations of our capitalist country.  but i dont know what to do with my life, and i feel scared, because i will dissapoint my family, and my friends, and i dont know...i just feel very apprehensive about just wandering around for the rest of my life.

i dunno if im really making sense, i am extremely hammered right now cause i just cant think about this. but if anyone has any good advice...thank you in advance

off to more crushing my thoughts with alcohol :frown:

~JSlice~

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
Re: failing out of college...what to do with my life [Re: angryjslice]
    #2612914 - 04/28/04 06:59 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What school do you go to? What is your major? I'm not doing fantastic so far, about a 2.6 although I worked harder this semester so it'll probably be up to a 2.8. Have you thought about community college or a technical school or culinary school? College really is difficult if you aren't motivated and make sure you get all of your stuff done.

Wish you would have come out with this earlier, there's a program called Pick-a-Prof that lets you see the grading histories of all the professors at your school for all subjects. This helped me weed out the asshole professors who like to dish out C's and D's to everyone. Good luck in whatever you do though.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #2612944 - 04/28/04 07:10 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hey,

My husband went through the same thing that you are going through with school. He simply lost interest, started hating it and doing poorly...his mother completely cut him off from any funding. He figured that it would be for the best to take a semester or two off and try to recollect himself. During that semester, he got a job, worked hard, and now is making decent money and is content. Now he isn't sure if he will ever go back to school.

And yeah, he faces alot of flack from parents, friends, from society about not finishing college, but you know what? I can almost guarentee that he is happier then these people who are bashing him about not finishing. In fact, I even wonder if the reason why they are so against him for not going, is because that they decided to and now they're miserable so they think everyone should be the same way.

There is HUGE pressure in society to do things "a certain way." And nothing pisses me off more. I didn't, and my husband didn't, and we are living our lives the way we want to, and thus are happy.

Look man...just because you aren't going to finish college now, what's stopping you from trying again in 5, 10, 15 years? I know that I would personally like to go back to college in maybe a few years or so. Just because my husband and I didn't finish college in the "socially acceptable" timeframe, doesn't mean shit. Just because you are not going to finish college in the "socially acceptable" timeframe, doesn't mean shit either. It just means you're doing it different.

Obviously, you'll have to find a job to support yourself. If you're like my husband was, you can get one that you enjoy. If not, so what? Spend your time at work to make the money you need to live life the way that you want.

Essentially, do what makes you happy. Maybe in a year or so you'll have a change of perspective and you'll want to give college another try. If that's not the case, then do the best you can with the resources you have. And don't worry about what your parents, friends, or society says. If they bug you about it, just smile and say, "I'm going to try and find what makes me happy in life," or simply, "I'm happy." Everyone secretly envies the free-spirit who deviates from the social norm to try and live life to the fullest.

Just remember that you're young, and you have time to make up your mind.

good luck

*me*

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: failing out of college...what to do with my life [Re: MOTH]
    #2613011 - 04/28/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

>>What school do you go to? What is your major?

i goto clarkson university, and im a computer engineer

my cummulative gpa is a wopping 1.8 right now, and i dont see myself getting higher than a 1.8 this semester.

>> Have you thought about community college or a technical school or culinary school?

the thing is i already have 2 years of college done, despite how many classes ive done terrible in, with 1 semester of work i could probably get an associates degree with transfered credits to my local community college, but i feel like, i spent close to $60,000 already and if i only will have a degree from a community college, its not worth it.

>>Everyone secretly envies the free-spirit who deviates from the social norm to try and live life to the fullest.

i try to be a free spirit, and i think that it doesnt mix too well with the goto school, get a job, retire, die, lifestyle. and maybe thats my problem, or maybe thats why i am lucky.

thank you all for your kind words.  it looks like its gonna be a rough road ahead, i hope i come out on top.  i'm worried though because ever since i found out that i am done with school for the moment, i have been having real bad urges to start doing dope again, something i gave up along time ago. :nonono:

~JSlice~

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #2613066 - 04/28/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Just remember that it's not the end of the world.  Keep looking forward.  :heart:

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2613298 - 04/28/04 08:54 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

take a break maybe with the Peace Corps. Who knows you may find reward and renewed enthusiasm; worth checking out maybe

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: failing out of college...what to do with my life [Re: castaway]
    #2613970 - 04/28/04 11:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Marine Corps

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: failing out of college...what to do with my life [Re: downforpot]
    #2613991 - 04/28/04 11:24 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Become like a well known shroomerite and travel the world in search of new species or strains of magic mushrooms
:wexican:

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Anonymous #1

#2615757 - 04/29/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm going to school right now for computer engineering also, so I can understand how boring and uninspiring a field of study it is. I'm currently finishing up 4 of 5 years but I'm close to failing all my classes this semester because I just don't give a shit (my GPA is around a 2.5 right now). But I figured I came this far already so I'm doing whatever I can just to survive another year and graduate. After that I don't even know what I'm gonna do. If you get a degree in computer engineering, there's hardly any jobs available right now in that type of work. School has totally killed my interest in getting a computer-related job, also. I'll probably end up with an ordinary job that I could've gotten without a degree, and I would be totally happy since I don't need a lot of money to live anyway. It's nice to daydream about having an engineering degree sitting at home covered in dust while I'm out working an ordinary-Joe job just to prove that I earned the degree but I don't need it to be happy. Some people might think that's ridiculous and they're just the people I'd like to rub it in to.

Anyway, enough about myself. If you're failing out of college, so be it. Maybe this was meant to be. Don't feel pressured into thinking you should get a degree. That is what society wants. It wants drones with degrees working behind desks. If you can make money without a degree and be happy, then what is there to worry about? I have a feeling that you're more concerned about the stigma of being a college dropout than the worry of where your money will come from. This is understandable but remember that it's only a result of social programming. Another thing is, there are many ways to make lots of money without a degree. Take the stock market for instance. I know day traders who deal with penny stocks. They make upwards of $80,000 a year just sitting at their computer trading 3-4 days a week. If you're a smart person (which you seem to be, your problem just seems to be lack of motivation), you'll have no problem finding a secure source of income. Remember Bill Gates? The billionaire who owns Microsoft? College drop-out. Anything is possible man. Just don't let people bring you down for making a choice to be happy without following society's rules.

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2615808 - 04/29/04 10:48 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I did computer engineering for a year at KU. I dropped out because I realized what you do early on. Technical school is where it's at. It's cheap, it's easy, and you can make a lot of money with your education!

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
    #2617415 - 04/29/04 04:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well, if you've spent that much already, having an associates degree is better than spending $20,000 on nothing.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2619717 - 04/30/04 01:26 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I can't stand school anymore either. I am way burned out. I tried to take 20 hours my second semester my freshmen year. It dropped my GPA and the doors just closed one after the other. Im at a school with a lot of red tape and huge classrooms, it does not help with the classroom interest.
I'm just finishing up my second year. 90% of my TAs couldn't lead a blindman on a sunny day. It seems to me like 70% of your grade is determined by kissing ass.
It's almost sad, a year ago I was convinced my path was straight through school to my doctorate. I still would love to teach mycology, but I would need a B.S. first.

I'm just about convinced I do not need these egotistical pricks and their underlings to determine my success in life.

OfflineParabolaChair
Re: failing out of college...what to do with my life [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2630697 - 05/03/04 02:18 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

School is important man, and its not even that difficult if you put your mind in the right place.

First you need to stop getting drunk and avoiding the issue at hand. Then you have to understand what it is to live in our capitalist society. Fine, you can decide, fuck capitalism, fuck wanting material goods...but theres little precedent for that assertion...sure our society is shallow and stupid on some levels...but the more educated you are, the farther you can go, both in a career and in life.

Do not let people tell you its ok to quit because its counter-culture.
Education is the most liberating and mobilizing aspect of our free society, organize your life and your principles so that you can do work and suceed in it.

Plenty of people would walk a hundred miles a day if they could to attend college - the opportunity, just to be in a location where college is a possibility, is incredible. Seize the opportunity and dont let momentary shifts in your mood get you down. You are an intelligent person who has the free will to decide whether or not to sutdy. It is a matter of choice. Choosing to be uneducated is choosing to ultimately face a harder life when you try to walk down certain paths...

Stay with it man, perservere, find truth in the teaching...Find little parts of your education that you enjoy...

Don't quit, frankly, you will regret it.
Perservere and bring your GPA...college is barely about GPA anyways. Just pass, and you will be greatful to yourself that you did.

Good luck,

Peace

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2630763 - 05/03/04 03:56 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

My GPA sucks now... it was a good 3.14 for the first semester... now this semester is going to rape me and pull me down to a 2.XX :frown:. School's no easy walk in the park, especially at Berkeley School of Engineering. Now I have finals in 2 weeks and I have straight D's (I need straight A's on my finals to pass my classes). If I can get out of this shithole, so can you.

But you say you have 90% chance of dropping out, so there's 10% left; and that's a big margin. You should be working hard to make that 10% a viable option rather than drinking! Essentially by idling around you are basically sealing your fate with that 90%, which only grows greater by the day.

School is extremely important in this capitalistic society if you want to make any money. Unless you are an extremely lucky entrepeneur, without school your chances of making money are quite slim. Remember, "for every winner there are dozens of losers, and chances are you're one of them." School increases your odds of being a "winner." Then again, I'm assuming you want to stay in school and ultimately be financially secure. School is an investment into yourself so that in the years following your education your investment would return to you tenfold.

OF COURSE if you spent all your time goofing around and partying where you should have been studying, I have no sympathy for you. Alas, hope is still an option for you. Good luck!

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineFrankieN
Stranger

#2631409 - 05/03/04 10:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I've been hearing a lot of people mention money and capitalism, and although I hate to admit it there's are things I and most people want, but there is no way I would take money over real happiness. And though an education is almost a must if you want to be rich, its not like your going to starve and die without, who news maybe you might even be happy being poor, it is possible. Stay in school, get out, do whatever you want, it's not life or death, don't stress yourself out so much, maybe school shouldn't be your biggest concern.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies