Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
my descent into failing out of school
    #2489440 - 04/01/04 12:56 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Shit man, I don't even know where to begin. I will start from the beginning of my college path. I will make this easier to follow by inserting time stamps.

(Fall '02)
I went out of state to a smaller 2nd tier public school, the only out of state college that accepted me. I was a business major but quickly figured out my interests in business (entrepreneurship) would not be met so I started looking elsewhere. I took a business calculus class and ruined every curve. My prof. actually excluded my score when computing the curve because it was impossible for the rest of the class to pass with my grade. I highly impressed that professor and he helped me enroll in Calculus II for next semester, a course that normally requires Calculus I. By this point, I was fairly certain that a mathematics major was a good choice for me and I had considered adding English as my second major. I was already enrolled in "Freshmen English for English majors and honors students", so I had one requirement for my english major. I finished my first semester in college with a 3.5 GPA.

(Spring 03)
That next semester I got permission from the dean to overload to 20 credits. I do not know how I was given permission, as normally it is only given to seniors so they can graduate on time. Off the cuff, I do believe that someone lost their job because of my overload approval. I took english, calc, honors and various liberal arts classes. I took my 20 hours of credits and loved it. My honors class was my favorite, it was small and intimate. We read the Odyssey, the Aeneid and several Greek plays. I spent 20hrs in class and nearly 60 hours studying a week. More on how I managed that in a bit. But eventually, it overcame me, and I had to drop the Calc II class because it was my heaviest workload. I had other classes that I could have dropped but it was the Calc that was taking up too much of my time.

I was able to study 60 hours a week because of my dedication to learning. I was eager to learn from all of the knowledgable professors I had. Last year I had 10 professors, most of whom I respected greatly. My social situation at the school was bad, I felt as though there was no one to identify with. The books were my friends, until I met my GF. That made 60 hours of studying a week much more difficult and contributed to me dropping Calculus II. But before I met my GF and her friends, I decided a long time ago that I was not staying and would find someplace else to transfer to for Fall '03.

(Late Spring 03)
My parents and I investigated UofO, but we decided it would be too much trouble to move and establish residency. I ended up transferring back home to a large metropolitan public university in my hometown. In my mind, I was a math and linguistic double major although it was not declared.

(Late Summer 03)
As soon as I accepted, I went to the honors office for admission into the honors program at my new school. I was shot down hard core. She didn't really care that I had 20 hours for half of the semester and that brought my GPA down. SHe also didn't care that i had six honors credits at my old school. And as a 2nd year student, I had to get into the program now or never get in because you wouldn't be able to finish the program in less than 3 years.

(Fall 04)
So I am a math major at my school and this time I needed Calculus I because it is a major requirement. I signed up, but soon figured out I needed a placement test or I would be kicked out of the class. I took the test, and they said I was too dumb for Calculus I. I needed to take Trig before they would allow me into Calculus I. I also sign up for several linguistic classes and a few others: The two linguistic classes I signed up for were called "Roots of Words" and "Gender and Language". I quickly figured out that there was no logic in linguistics whatsoever. I dropped "Gender and Language" at midterms, immediately before a paper concluding that males dominate english language was due. (Yes you read that right, conclusion was assumed in the assignment). In "Roots of Words" I found out that root morphology is all but random and there are no rules to describe their changes. I ended up failing "Roots of Words". I also took a mythology course. It was very unlike my honors class last year. It was taught by a TA in a giant lecture hall the size of a theatre. He would show us paintings/sculptures of mythological greek and roman figures on a projector. The only grades in the class were tests in which we were to regurgitate the information about the pictures he gave us. No papers or reading. I ended up failing that class too.

(Winter 03-04)
Took Trig, passed with A. Aced final exam (100%)

(Spring 04)
Re-enrolled in Calculus I. The TA still gave me shit about prerequisites; however, after I proved them I was allowed to stay. Now let me explain their testing called the Gateway Tests. There are four tests throughout the semester, none have any points that count toward your grade. The tests are graded objectively with no partial credit and you must have an 8/10 to pass. If you pass all four of these tests, you are guarenteed not to receive an F, no matter how bad your true grade. But if you fail to pass all of them, your grade will be relegated to a C-, regardless of your final grade. A C- is not good enough to continue in the Calculus sequence, so if you do not pass the gateways you will have to retake until you pass in order to move on. Well, I failed the first one. Before I had any fucking physical points towards my grade, I was relegated to a C-.

I am now basically a year behind where I was a year ago. I feel like I am running backwards. I have lost any and all interest in pursuing studies. I have only been in class with one tenured professor in the past year. I think that most of my T.As could not lead a blind man out of a lighted hallway. I have had better teachers in high school, than I have seen in the past year. And thats where I am right now. I don't really have any skills in demand right now, so I feel like I either go to school (probably for another 4 years) or stop existing. The latter seems about the best solution now.

Thanks for reading, I don't quite know why I typed all this up. Maybe it is the fact that everytime I turn a corner, it seems this school and it's faculty are right behind me waiting for me to bendover. And just forget about lube.

Edited by YidakiMan (04/01/04 01:11 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
Re: my descent into failing out of school [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2496870 - 04/01/04 06:25 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Lot's of people choose school as a carreer; My mother went back to school after her divorce and eventualy obtained her Doctorate and only left when she couldn't get tenure.

I took a break and returned on the GI bill, but flunked out after a year.

Perhaps Political Science is something to consider (if you can't beat the system join it :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom