Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
I am considering a two year hiatus from college...
    #1453732 - 04/12/03 09:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hello, I am currently a freshman a the University of Kansas. I went to directly from high school to college to study computer science and I am starting to think it was a mistake.,

I did very well my first semester, but this semester has gone to shit. I just started thinking about everything, and I really couldn't figure out any reason why
I should continue on in the school of engineering.

So my question is, does a two year hiatus where I work long enough to save $5000.00 and then spend 6 to 8 months hiking the appalachian trails, from georgia to maine sound like a good idea?

I am interested in what you think about the overall value of education and whether or not is a good idea to postpone college since many people who do that end up not going back.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: SpecialEd]
    #1453977 - 04/13/03 12:02 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

It depends on you, and you alone. A lot of people, especially guys, aren't ready for college after they graduate highschool. I wasn't, and my grades showed. Looking back though I certainly got and "education". I took some time off, decided what I really wanted to do with my life and how I was going to go about achieving it and went back to school. Of course I'm not graduating "on time", but it doesn't matter, two or three years in the grand scheme of things is pretty nominal. If you aren't ready for college, and you know that you're not, don't waste your time and money. Just be sure you go back.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: I_Fart_Blue] * 1
    #1454216 - 04/13/03 03:36 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

one word: banjo

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: djfrog]
    #1454466 - 04/13/03 09:25 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Invisibleadrug

Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: matts]
    #1455243 - 04/13/03 06:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I was also in your situation, but I stayed and ended up getting kicked out at the end of my second semester. I took a few years off to work a full time job and am finally finishing college 5 years later, not to mention with much better grades, a better work ethic, and a more mature outlook. If you think you should take some time off, do it. School will be there next year.

Edited by adrug (04/13/03 06:12 PM)

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: adrug]
    #5416965 - 03/18/06 07:40 PM (18 years, 5 days ago)

My dad says that if you take a break from college that it looks really bad on ur applications to get back in/transfer to another college...is that bull shit?

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: daytripper23]
    #5417408 - 03/18/06 10:07 PM (18 years, 4 days ago)

I'd say it doesn't look that bad, as long as your returned to school and completed your degree.

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
    #5417590 - 03/18/06 11:28 PM (18 years, 4 days ago)

Do the hike.

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

OfflineImperialCactus
Stranger

#5417672 - 03/18/06 11:48 PM (18 years, 4 days ago)

I'm kinda in the same situation, going for computer science as well although i'm starting to wonder if that is such a good career choice. Well, one thing I hear a lot is that if you stop going to college for a bit, your not going to want to go back. I know a lot of people that did this and really wish they hadn't, but then again it all depends on you and if you think you would actually go back or not.

I mean, personally if I got a halfway decent full time job now I know I wouldn't want to go back, and would be too tempted to just enjoy life now and screw it all later. But it's also a good point that a lot of people aren't ready for college right after high school. More of any kind of school was the last thing I wanted, just trying to do what is best. So I guess it really comes down to doing what you think will work best for you, if you lack the motivation to really do well in college and know it would be a waste then it may be best to come back later when you are more ready, but only you can know if you would actually do that.

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: ImperialCactus]
    #5427328 - 03/21/06 08:32 PM (18 years, 2 days ago)

Do whatcha gotta do. I went to school for all the wrong reasons at the beginning of this year, and did shitty my first term. But I have come to realize a lot about what I want to do and such, and at some point I want to get a degree. I'm doin much better this term.

I do think that getting a good job, or being able to move up where ever you work is a lot easier if you have a degree, and that is definatly a door I want to have open. SO many people wish they'd just buckeled down and finsihed school. I'm not really out to make a grip of cash, and the career I want to get into certainly isn't very high paying, but I want a degree.

But yeah I've thought a lot about saving up for some nice backpackin gear and doin that for awhile. You only get to live once, not much sense spending that once in a lifetime chance doing a bunch of bookwork you see no purpose in.

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

OfflineReal_Poopypants Happy Birthday!
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Surrey, B.C.
    #5431184 - 03/22/06 06:06 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

I took 4 years off before going back to college. It was the best thing for me. I still don't know what I want to do with my life, but working for 4 years made me realize that I don't want to work a shitty job for the rest of my life. I went back to college in September with renewed confidence and my marks are much better than my first attempt at college.

--------------------
Salvia Experiences:

First Time With Salvia

A Visit With The Queen

Mushroom Experiences:

My first mushroom trip changed my life.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: Real_Poopypants]
    #5432998 - 03/23/06 03:56 AM (18 years, 17 hours ago)

shit.. i'm doing my AS and BS all in one stretch. ill be finished in december

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #5434691 - 03/23/06 02:21 PM (18 years, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

Real_Poopypants said:
I took 4 years off before going back to college. It was the best thing for me.

That's almost as good as taking three years off before responding to this thread.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineReal_Poopypants Happy Birthday!
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #5434903 - 03/23/06 03:11 PM (18 years, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

CyberChump said:
Quote:

Real_Poopypants said:

That's almost as good as taking three years off before responding to this thread.

Shit. There should be some sort of prompt when someone tries to reply to to a thread that is over a year old - "This thread is dead. Do you really want to revive it??"

--------------------
Salvia Experiences:

First Time With Salvia

A Visit With The Queen

Mushroom Experiences:

My first mushroom trip changed my life.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5435017 - 03/23/06 04:03 PM (18 years, 5 hours ago)

most other forums will lock a thread if no replies were made for 6+ months

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineBloodNOil
Captain Zeep
 User Gallery
Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #5459460 - 03/30/06 12:49 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

CyberChump said:
Quote:

Real_Poopypants said:

I wonder how it turned out for him.

--------------------
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

OfflineRambel
Stranger

Re: I am considering a two year hiatus from college... [Re: BloodNOil]
    #5460014 - 03/30/06 02:32 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Dr. Phil always says "There has never been a man on his death bed saying he wished he spent more time at work". I think that this can apply to you. When you are old and grey and waiting to move on from this life, I highly doubt you are going to wish you stayed in college longer. Live your life for the moments not the minutes. I am not saying that you should never go to school. I do think it is important, but if it is not what you consider to be a valuable use of your time then do something you believe will be. Life is too short. And later on when you do feel school WILL be a valuable use of your time, then you will probably achieve more success then you could have imagined!
Good luck with whatever path you take!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom