Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25984966 -

bodhisatta said:
I wipe my cast iron out with a damn rag using a wooden spoon while its still somewhat hot. Then paper towel it out and put it away. You don't "wash" cast iron

Most of all I use is cast iron. Or stainless. I rarely use cheater pans but for reducing some sauces like balsamic reduction or cheese stuff and cheese sauces. Sometimes to reheat pizza ill use the nonstick too.



That’s what everyone always says but that’s gross. I wash cast iron with soap every time. I’m not eating food cooked on a dirty unwashed pan.

Also it doesn’t cause rust if you don’t leave it wet. Reseason as needed and you don’t scrub too hard to remove all seasoning.

I have a small cast iron pan I used to take camping which got really well seasoned from the high heat cooking over campfires. I swear its almost like a nonstick surface in that one and it’s become a part of the pan. I can scrub it with a soapy sponge and it doesn’t hurt that seasoning at all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: mendocino_beano]
    #25985001 -

I agree. Soap is fine, but it shouldn't take much if your pan is well seasoned. The step people often forget is to "season" the pan directly after washing/drying.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #25985257 -

I have a 12in cast iron chicken fryer that I use for pretty much everything. Best all purpose pan ive ever used. It’s like a Dutch oven with a handle.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: blewmeanie] * 1
    #25985409 -

Using soap on cast iron is moronic. Soap is an emulsifier specifically designed to remove oil and grease. Dish soap is even stronger. Don't use cast iron if you can't handle not using soap. Pick a different pan.

Notice how only stupid websites say that using soap is ok and it's a myth and every top chef out there says you're an idiot for using soap.


--------------------
:whyyy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25985463 -

bodhisatta said:
Using soap on cast iron is moronic. Soap is an emulsifier specifically designed to remove oil and grease. Dish soap is even stronger. Don't use cast iron if you can't handle not using soap. Pick a different pan.

Notice how only stupid websites say that using soap is ok and it's a myth and every top chef out there says you're an idiot for using soap.



You need to chill
If I want to clean my own pan with soap I will!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: flugelizor]
    #25985465 -

You're removing and damaging the polymer coating and bringing it closer to the metal which is way more prone to holding bacteria. Since the soap damages and removes this seasoned on layer it's taking something that was molecularly smooth and making it full of ridges and that porosity is bad.

Washing a cast iron pan with soap is like scrubbing a Teflon pan with steel wool


--------------------
:whyyy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25985468 -

No, I don't have the ability to re-apply teflon.
I DO have the ability to re-season.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: flugelizor]
    #25985472 -

Be my guest if you want to re-season a pan every time you use it. Then it never gets to that good worn in state :shrug:

The polymer layer gets more durable with use. Making your pan more resilient and better for cooking.


--------------------
:whyyy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25985589 -

I clean my cast iron with steel wool am I fucking it up?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: ichugwindex]
    #25985606 -

I definitely wouldn't use anything harsher than a green scrub pad for the hardest to clean stuff. But usually steaming with a wet rag/paper towel and then wipe it dry works really well

The way people treat their cast iron or worry about it being clean i cant imagine them ever using a grill lol.


--------------------
:whyyy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25985618 -

bodhisatta said:
Using soap on cast iron is moronic. Soap is an emulsifier specifically designed to remove oil and grease. Dish soap is even stronger. Don't use cast iron if you can't handle not using soap. Pick a different pan.

Notice how only stupid websites say that using soap is ok and it's a myth and every top chef out there says you're an idiot for using soap.



Chill out. Lol.

I use soap literally every time I clean my cast iron. You’re not gonna tell me it’s more sanitary not to wash it with soap, THATS moronic.

Also it doesn’t need to be reseasoned every time you wash with soap. Maybe once every 5-10 times if you wash gently.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: mendocino_beano]
    #25985624 -

You're clueless about your pan and my chill level :shrug:


--------------------
:whyyy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #25985679 -

A properly heated pan will have a surface temperature high enough to kill anything without the use of detergents


--------------------
           

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Phegnomeanon] * 3
    #25985709 -

Washing with soap is disgusting

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: DustyBottoms]
    #25985793 -

Fucking love my cast iron skillet, its my most used cooking thing for sure.

And yeah, not having to clean it often is one of the best parts, steak cooked in bacon grease is the tits... Pretty much everything cooked in bacon grease is the tits really.


--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Edited by LuSiD9 (05/11/19 10:49 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: LuSiD9]
    #25985806 -

My rule of thumb is peanut oil for meats and butter for veggies


--------------------
           

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Phegnomeanon]
    #25985835 -

Butter and or light to extra light olive oil for any pan frying of meat or veggies. sesame oil and or peanut for stir fry. Peanut only thing i use to deep fry but i did use vegetable oil and corn oil a couple times for fish fries in the past


--------------------
:whyyy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25985840 -

Doesn’t your food come out with a bunch of burnt bits of old food when you don’t properly wash your cast iron??

If I don’t wash with soap whatever I cook winds up coated with little black flakes of burnt food.

You guys are trippin about the soap thing. Everything you cook and eat with should be washed with soap, that’s disgusting

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: mendocino_beano]
    #25985844 -

Also you guys should check out avocado oil. Very stable and high smoke point and mild slightly buttery flavor. It’s the best for frying

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Phegnomeanon]
    #25985854 -

Phegnomeanon said:
My rule of thumb is peanut oil for meats and butter for veggies



It all depends if I'm cooking for myself or other people.

My rule of thumb is if it's for me, bacon grease for pretty much everything... If i'm cooking for other people I might change it up.

Vegans are required to bring their own food though lol


--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Stainless steel rust? Almond Flour 891 8 03/29/09 04:21 PM
by makaveli8x8
* WAFFLES VS PANCAKES ! ! ! !
( 1 2 3 4 all )
dshow 4,632 66 01/20/11 07:29 PM
by ModularMind
* Teflon will kill you, and its everywhere
( 1 2 3 all )
SourceLimit 3,811 41 10/06/22 10:07 PM
by 336
* About to make my first steak the right way! Rocker232 1,156 18 07/07/09 03:56 PM
by GabbaDj
* z
( 1 2 3 all )
Almond Flour 2,979 53 02/10/09 07:25 PM
by Phish_Dude
* I'm gonna go make a fucking steak
( 1 2 all )
jewunit 2,690 23 03/17/08 02:23 PM
by tiny_rabid_birds
* sweet dee MERRY XMAS BONERS /sweet dee
( 1 2 3 4 all )
yogabunnyM 4,412 67 12/25/09 09:36 PM
by yogabunny
* kind of a weird post.. Bi0TeK 599 8 02/09/05 09:48 AM
by iloveraving

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,680 topic views. 5 members, 33 guests and 122 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.