Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Cast Iron Skillets * 3
    #25983229 -

Any home chefs out there?  I recently bought a cast iron skillet.  Hands down the best purchase I’ve made in awhile. 

Literally everything I have cooked in it tastes better compared to normal cookware, plus it’s healthier because you work iron into your diet every time you use it. 

And I can’t believe I’m saying this, but a steak tastes better on it than it would coming off a normal grill.  Breakfast tastes better and I’m able to do things with it that a normal skillet can’t.  Last night I made chicken fajitas and it was as good if not better than a solid Mexican restaurant.

And for bonus points, you don’t really need to clean it (often) compared to a regular skillet.  You leave it “seasoned” for future meals. 

Treat yoself!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: DustyBottoms]
    #25983239 -

I believe the iron seeps into the food i believe?

But yes, faijitas and cast iron pans is the best combo. So perfect. They are perfecr for Mexican Dishes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: DustyBottoms]
    #25983241 -

I use cast iron a lot.  And probably own 30 pieces.  The two I use most often are an 8 inch skillet and a lidded dutch oven thing.  The Dutch oven stays on my stove full of peanut oil.  I use it for deep frying


--------------------
           

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Phegnomeanon]
    #25983310 -

I don't use mine as often as I should.
I clean it without soap to preserve the nonstick - "season"
But sometimes I feel it doesn't really get clean.
Oil and black stuff gets everywhere all in my cabinet. Then if I do clean the oil I have to spend all that extra time seasoning it again.

Plus, it's heavy as hell!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: flugelizor]
    #25983312 -

I turn to stainless more often than cast iron.
Also, when stainless is clean you can see it is clean by the color.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: flugelizor]
    #25983367 -

Cast irons the shit

I wash it with soap like anything else. When it needs reseasoning I just put some oil in there and leave it on til it smokes for a while.

They heat very evenly because they are so thick and dense. Stainless steel will get hot spots that burn

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: mendocino_beano]
    #25983387 -

They sell stainless chain mail scrubbers for cast iron on eBay.  It gets them clean without soap.  I haven’t tried yet though.  Scouring pad and hot water works fine for me.  Just make sure to dry completely.

I just bought my first copper pan!!  The house we are building will have a glass top range.  Cast iron will mess them up.

Edited by Phegnomeanon (05/11/19 06:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Phegnomeanon]
    #25983599 -

Yep, stainless and ceramic here. No cast iron stuff. My mom and grandma had them. I get much better cleanup and better cooking with stainless and ceramic. I was a kitchen and restaurant guy for 34 years and have seen a lot of different cooking utensils.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: DustyBottoms]
    #25983607 -

I am going to buy one eventually


--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

Remember to always courtesy flush

  we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Cannabischarlie] * 3
    #25984375 -



--------------------
           

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Phegnomeanon]
    #25984384 -

I wipe my cast iron out with a damn rag using a wooden spoon while its still somewhat hot. Then paper towel it out and put it away. You don't "wash" cast iron

Most of all I use is cast iron. Or stainless. I rarely use cheater pans but for reducing some sauces like balsamic reduction or cheese stuff and cheese sauces. Sometimes to reheat pizza ill use the nonstick too.


--------------------
:whyyy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Phegnomeanon] * 1
    #25984392 -

got these griswold joints

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25984455 -



Replace dick with cast iron


--------------------
Only hope can give rise to the emotion we call despair. But it is nearly impossible for a man to try to live without hope, so I guess that leaves Man no choice but to walk around with despair as his companion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: ichugwindex] * 2
    #25984467 -

I just threw this all in the skillet together.  I put the whole meal together in under 10 mins.  Took even less time to eat it :awesome:



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #25984662 -

Yeah! Pizza reheated in a non stick pan is great, you can flip it, and it's faster than the oven, never wave it!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #25984772 -

Besides a smoker, then charcoal grill, a cast iron is the best! I use mine more than anything else.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: Lophosaurus]
    #25984782 -

Keep your cast iron away from detergent for a no rust experience.


--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: DustyBottoms]
    #25984892 -

DustyBottoms said:
I just threw this all in the skillet together.  I put the whole meal together in under 10 mins.  Took even less time to eat it :awesome:






:snoopyes:

Drooled on my phone a bit.


--------------------
:hypnotoad:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: DustyBottoms] * 1
    #25984950 -

Cast Iron is great. I'm sure you know, but be sure to dry well, grease over a low heat (to set the oil to the pan). Use a small amount (or a lot) of fat prior to cooking and your pan will improve over the years.

I can easily fry an egg with very little grease and very little effort. Non-stick pans are fucking bullshit. They work well for a short time, and then erode and become horrible. (Plus the coating is likely poisonous). Our fore fathers knew how to do things much healthier and efficient than many of our modern "conveniences". Time to re-look at the old ways, while embracing what sense in the modern day.

Want a great steak - on a pan? (though I dispute your idea that it is better than a grill, it's nice to use in the winter or a rainy day). Cook at 200 - 220 F for 15-30 minutes (depending on the cut), then drop that bad boy in a hot cast iron (with butter), and pan sear over very high heat. Of course, let that piece of cow rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Cheers!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cast Iron Skillets [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #25984955 -

yah cast iron reverse sear might even be the best way to cook steak

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Stainless steel rust? Almond Flour 891 8 03/29/09 04:21 PM
by makaveli8x8
* WAFFLES VS PANCAKES ! ! ! !
( 1 2 3 4 all )
dshow 4,632 66 01/20/11 07:29 PM
by ModularMind
* Teflon will kill you, and its everywhere
( 1 2 3 all )
SourceLimit 3,811 41 10/06/22 10:07 PM
by 336
* About to make my first steak the right way! Rocker232 1,156 18 07/07/09 03:56 PM
by GabbaDj
* z
( 1 2 3 all )
Almond Flour 2,979 53 02/10/09 07:25 PM
by Phish_Dude
* I'm gonna go make a fucking steak
( 1 2 all )
jewunit 2,690 23 03/17/08 02:23 PM
by tiny_rabid_birds
* sweet dee MERRY XMAS BONERS /sweet dee
( 1 2 3 4 all )
yogabunnyM 4,412 67 12/25/09 09:36 PM
by yogabunny
* kind of a weird post.. Bi0TeK 599 8 02/09/05 09:48 AM
by iloveraving

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,680 topic views. 5 members, 33 guests and 120 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.