Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | | Last >
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #25778632 -

Quote:
Interestingly, nearly ALL of your arguments were already addressed in another thread.




I read the thread you listed and the existence of white privilege was never proven in it.

According to the feminist who discovered it Peggy McIntosh it mainly has to do with being the race of majority within a population:
"According to Peggy McIntosh, whites in Western societies enjoy advantages that non-whites do not experience, as "an invisible package of unearned assets".[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_privilege

If you applied that same logic to say, China for example, would the Chinese have Chinese privilege? That is the line of reasoning the founder of white privilege used.


Quote:
I agree that anectdotal evidence isn't proof, by the way, and appreciate that you recognize that.



If you "appreciate" it so much why did you use an anecdotal video to try to prove your point?

Quote:
But that video doesn't disprove the catcalling.  It happened, and I said I wouldn't call it 'systemic misogynistic gender based oppression'.



Right, it happened and it's also propaganda.

Quote:
And that's exactly what was used as evidence in the other thread.



Discriminating in employment based on race has been outlawed since the 1964 civil rights act:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_discrimination_law_in_the_United_States

If you can prove a company is discriminating based on race you've got grounds for a lawsuit.

Quote:
Oh, I'm very familiar with statistical manipulation.  One of my bachelors degrees is in mathematics with an emphasis in statistics.



Good, then I don't need to explain to you how easy it is to manipulate any data to fit into an already pre formed conclusion. The beliefs and biases of any individual conducting a study will always come out in the result, especially if the study is already inherently political to begin with.

Quote:
Actually your second article demonstrates how easy it is to manipulate results.



Actually they both show that. It's interesting though how you would immediately accept the information that fits into your apriori conclusion. Then disregard anything that could contradict it. Confirmation bias is powerful isn't it?

Quote:
The first study shows that people with black sounding first like Jamal and Rasheed get fewer call backs, while the second study shows that people with commonly black last names like Washington and Jefferson get more call backs.  Do you see the problem with the second study?  As many white people have those last names as black people, so they don't sound as black.




They got the information regarding the race of the names they used from the US census which says "90 percent of people with the last name Washington are black and 75 percent of those named Jefferson are black"

According to the US census those are exactly what black names look like.

The end result though which you didn't mention is that

"On average, 11.4 percent of resumes received a response from an employer, and there were no statistically significant differences across race, ethnic or gender groups."

They were also able to find a few white people with those names in Florida, but that in no way negates the fact that according to the US census those are majority black names. Then of course the Hispanic names had no statistically significant difference in callback either.

Quote:
That's a very good video that explains what researchers need to watch out for to help prevent false positives.  And from 10:12 - 10:53 he explains that scientists generally are aware of this.




Right, and I'm sure you also saw that even being aware of it can't change the incentives of the individual conducting the study. Right now there are very strong incentives to find any manifestation of "white privilege" no matter how deep you have to dig.

Quote:
Some people recognize that white privilege exists, and would like things to be fairer.



How would you propose to make things "fairer"?



--------------------
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Judge Aaron Satie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: koods] * 2
    #25778711 -

If our govt would stop trying to take over every nstural asset on the planet open borders would be no problem. But u have all these damn crazies who think there religion or way of thinking is the only right one or they just want to be in a monotheistic culture which is just crazy . Borders are nothing more than imaginary lines . Do you see wildlife saying oh we cant go over there that for mexican antelope only . No you dont . People really need to think about how they came to be in this country because everything i have read says the white or any other race came here for religous asylum or tryn to escape something.  Then the people who migrated here killed everyone else off who didnt believe the exact samething as they do. Makes me sortive wish when everyone was migrating here  there ships would've sunk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: vault123]
    #25778758 -

I was originally impressed by your logic, but your argument has basically devolved into "science can't prove anything because it's possible to manipulate data".

Which any scientist knows couldn't be further from the truth.


The study on first names like Jamal and Rasheed shows a p-value based on the study's sample size of 2445 resumes to be 0.0000 (Table 1).  That means there is >99.99% confidence that the results are accurate and that people with black sounding first names get fewer call backs.  Not the meager 95% confidence that the guy in your video talked about.

And I explained why the second study on last names got different results - it's because most people don't realize that Jefferson and Washington are such popular black last names; most people associate those names with white presidents.  I was surprised to find out those were common black last names, but I know Jamal and Rasheed are common black first names.


There's a lot of faulty logic in the rest of your post too.  For example, murder is illegal just like discrimination, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  And discrimination is harder to prove.  I'll ignore the rest of your post to stay focused on the statistical part of these studies.

Can you explain why there is near certainty that Jamal and Rasheed get fewer call backs than Jefferson and Washington, if not for the explanation above that people aren't aware those are black last names?  :popcorn:


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #25778981 -

Quote:
your argument has basically devolved into "science can't prove anything because it's possible to manipulate data".



I'm willing to grant that was an unintentional mischaracterization. I wasn't denigrating the scientific method in general, just highlighting that motivations for conducting any particular study need to be accounted for. Especially with highly politically charged topics with wide scale policy decisions potentially riding on them.

Quote:
The study on first names like Jamal and Rasheed shows a p-value based on the study's sample size of 2445 resumes to be 0.0000 (Table 1).  That means there is >99.99% confidence that the results are accurate and that people with black sounding first names get fewer call backs.  Not the meager 95% confidence that the guy in your video talked about.



No single study is definitive, but lets assume it's true. What are we supposed to do about it? That's why I brought up the civil rights act, we've already got laws in place to prevent overt discrimination in hiring. What else would you propose to make employers more likely to call back black sounding names than they already are?

This isn't a study about overt discrimination its measuring unconscious biases and it appears to be a large scale phenomenon, at least in Boston and Chicago newspapers.

It still does not prove "white privilege" in general, at least not how it was defined on the wikipedia entry I posted.

Quote:
And I explained why the second study on last names got different results - it's because most people don't realize that Jefferson and Washington are such popular black last names; most people associate those names with white presidents.  I was surprised to find out those were common black last names, but I know Jamal and Rasheed are common black first names.



I'm not going to assume what most people infer hearing the names I just know it said they took the names from the US Census and it has a high percentage.

Quote:
There's a lot of faulty logic in the rest of your post too.



Such as?

Quote:
For example, murder is illegal just like discrimination, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.



That's true, but the purpose of bringing it up was to show that it is already illegal. What else would you propose to do about it?

Quote:
I'll ignore the rest of your post to stay focused on the statistical part of these studies.



I would love to narrow the topic, but I'm going to persist about this last part. How would you propose making things fairer?


--------------------
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Judge Aaron Satie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: vault123]
    #25779522 -

I wasn't proposing we do anything about white privilege, other than acknowledging its existence.  That first study showed with an incredibly high confidence that people with black sounding first names don't get called as much; that's white privilege.

And I provided a reason why it appears the second study provided different results - people don't associate Jefferson and Washington to black people like they do Jamal and Rasheed.  I certainly didn't before reading that those were predominately black last names.

If you can come up with a better reason for why there is a discrepancy, I'm all ears.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #25779641 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
I wasn't proposing we do anything about white privilege, other than acknowledging its existence.  That first study showed with an incredibly high confidence that people with black sounding first names don't get called as much; that's white privilege.

And I provided a reason why it appears the second study provided different results - people don't associate Jefferson and Washington to black people like they do Jamal and Rasheed.  I certainly didn't before reading that those were predominately black last names.

If you can come up with a better reason for why there is a discrepancy, I'm all ears.



So it was a highly biased "study".

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2016/04/27/black-or-latino-surnames-dont-actually-hurt-job-applicants-mizzou-study-finds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: qman]
    #25779676 -

qman said:
So it was a highly biased "study".

Black or Latino Surnames Don't Actually Hurt Job Applicants, Mizzou Study Finds



That confirms exactly what I just said.  Surnames don't hurt as much as first names, and I offered an explanation why.  If you have a better explanation, I'm all ears.


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #25780753 -

Like I said no single study is definitive. There needs to be a weight of evidence over time, that's reproducible, and independently verifiable. Even then motivations, and contradicting information (like the kind we discussed) still need to be taken into account. All things considered I would say this is a long way from proving the existence of white privilege.

That said, this is MUCH more convincing than a google search term or anecdotal video.


--------------------
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Judge Aaron Satie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: vault123]
    #25780937 -

vault123 said:
Like I said no single study is definitive. There needs to be a weight of evidence over time, that's reproducible, and independently verifiable.



The first study found that people with black sounding first names don't get called back as much, with a >99.99% confidence.  Not 100% (what is?), but this is much more confidence than the usual 95% threshold.

vault123 said:
Even then motivations, and contradicting information (like the kind we discussed) still need to be taken into account.



We discussed that and took that into account.  Washington and Jefferson don't sound as black as Jamal and Rasheed, which very likely explains the discrepancy.  And puts the motivation of the second study into question.

vault123 said:
All things considered I would say this is a long way from proving the existence of white privilege.



It's not that long a ways at all.  One more similar study, and you'll have much, much, greater confidence.  Or how about 2 more similar studies?

Indiscriminate discrimination: A correspondence test for ethnic homophily in the Chicago labor market

Criminal Records, and Statistical Discrimination

vault123 said:
That said, this is MUCH more convincing than a google search term or anecdotal video.



Agreed.  At least for those people that understand statistics.  :thumbup:


--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 2
    #25780958 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
qman said:
So it was a highly biased "study".

Black or Latino Surnames Don't Actually Hurt Job Applicants, Mizzou Study Finds



That confirms exactly what I just said.  Surnames don't hurt as much as first names, and I offered an explanation why.  If you have a better explanation, I'm all ears.



This is a dumb question that crosses my mind on this issue time to time
but not sure if it's been brought up before

but is it possible the hesitance to call back "black sounding" names
and the willingness to call back sur names
may have to do with fears of mispronunciation?

Remember once having a boss named Abdou
was put in the job by an employment placement agency, and when they told me who to ask for thought they said "Abdul"
so walked up to the brownest looking person on shift and asked him if he was Abdul
turns out Abdou started work an hour later than the rest of the shift and the gentleman I spoke with, Ram, helped me find something to do during the interim wait
and talked me up as timely and eager to work when Abdou did show up :cookiemonster:

but putting myself in the position of having to call a prospective employee
would be terrified of the weakness implied by not being able to correctly pronounce or identify someone's name

tho, to be fair, Abdou was an African immigrant and his last name was even more complex and difficult for me
did walk in on him on the phone with his sister back home one time and they were speaking a super cool clicking language

rambling, sorry

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #25780963 -

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
vault123 said:
Like I said no single study is definitive. There needs to be a weight of evidence over time, that's reproducible, and independently verifiable.



The first study found that people with black sounding first names don't get called back as much, with a >99.99% confidence.  Not 100% (what is?), but this is much more confidence than the usual 95% threshold.

vault123 said:
Even then motivations, and contradicting information (like the kind we discussed) still need to be taken into account.



We discussed that and took that into account.  Washington and Jefferson don't sound as black as Jamal and Rasheed, which very likely explains the discrepancy.  And puts the motivation of the second study into question.

vault123 said:
All things considered I would say this is a long way from proving the existence of white privilege.



It's not that long a ways at all.  One more similar study, and you'll have much, much, greater confidence.  Or how about 2 more similar studies?

Indiscriminate discrimination: A correspondence test for ethnic homophily in the Chicago labor market

Criminal Records, and Statistical Discrimination

vault123 said:
That said, this is MUCH more convincing than a google search term or anecdotal video.



Agreed.  At least for those people that understand statistics.  :thumbup:



What about Asian names?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: qman]
    #25781133 -

The 2004 study in the pdf only focused on black and hispanic names. Even if there was a difference in callbacks for the black names, in order to be able to attribute this to white privilege you would need to explain why it didn't happen to the hispanic names in the same exact study.

It did have a large sample size, but it was still a very nitch study only focusing on newspaper entries in Boston and Chicago. To verify this specific phenomenon regarding call back rates from job applications wasn't an aberration, the study would need to be done again by a separate group of people using the same techniques and still get the same results.

Even if it did get the same results you would still need to sample different portions of the population. Since this one focused on large cities you would also need to sample rural and suburban populations.

Even if you consistently got the same results, from different people conducting the same experiment, from different sections of the population, with representative samples, it would still only represent one very specific variable.

In order to attribute an original sin with a ubiquitous definition to an entire race like white privilege the burden of proof would need to be much higher.

If the phenomenon can be explained by other factors then you couldn't definitively conclude that it is the result of white privilege. Then what about other races? is there a difference in callback rates between whites and asians? or whites and jews?

Even if somehow you were able to definitively conclude through a multivariate analysis, that white people, and no one else, are specifically guilty of privilege due to their race what are you even supposed to do about that? It's a subconscious phenomenon.

In the study they said that even equal opportunity employers were guilty of it, they don't even know that they're doing it. Are you supposed to punish people for something they're not even aware that they're doing?


--------------------
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Judge Aaron Satie

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: vault123] * 1
    #25781422 -

Quote:
the study they said that even equal opportunity employers were guilty of it, they don't even know that they're doing it. Are you supposed to punish people for something they're not even aware that they're doing?




Who said anything about punishment. You people have very bizarre ideas.

White privilege is an unconscious behavior. Like crossing the street when black people are coming but not whites. People don’t even make a conscious decision.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: koods]
    #25781506 -

koods said:
Quote:
the study they said that even equal opportunity employers were guilty of it, they don't even know that they're doing it. Are you supposed to punish people for something they're not even aware that they're doing?




Who said anything about punishment. You people have very bizarre ideas.

White privilege is an unconscious behavior. Like crossing the street when black people are coming but not whites. People don’t even make a conscious decision.



Even when blacks do it.

https://theracecardproject.com/jesse-jackson-fears-black-youths-racism-2/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: qman] * 1
    #25781509 -

Yes even blacks do it

You’re perfecly willing to accept blacks do it but melt like a debutante on a steamy night in coastal Georgia if anyone suggests white people do it.

“Oh mah what are these tramps sayin about mah poah white race. Hold mah mint julep I’m ovah come with tha vapahs”


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Edited by koods (01/31/19 03:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: koods]
    #25781521 -

koods said:
Yes even blacks do it



What does that tell you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: qman] * 1
    #25781529 -

It’s realz


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: koods]
    #25781536 -

koods said:
It’s realz



I wouldn't suggest a natural instinct that's a survival mechanism in which EVERYBODY is using ends up being a form of "white privilege".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: qman] * 1
    #25781542 -

yup and in majority white country we can call it white privilege.

:cookiemonster:


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Closed or open borders? [Re: koods]
    #25781549 -

You seem to think humans are powerless against our base instincts.


--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | | Last >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Koreans fire across border
( 1 2 all )
pattern 2,426 25 07/18/03 01:42 PM
by atomikfunksoldier
* Porous Mexican Border as a Terrorist Entry Point
( 1 2 all )
Autonomous 4,299 36 01/05/04 01:19 PM
by Xlea321
* Case Closed Great_Satan 924 11 09/07/04 11:00 PM
by Great_Satan
* Canada wide open for terrorists. luvdemshrooms 1,551 13 07/13/02 02:05 AM
by Psilocybeing
* border crossing
( 1 2 all )
IndoorDreams 1,437 23 06/10/03 03:04 AM
by uno
* muslim indo chinese womens refuge quiver 1,534 10 07/12/06 12:53 PM
by quiver
* The U.S. Needs to Open Up to the World
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
ThorA 6,039 101 01/28/03 10:14 PM
by Phred
* An Open Letter to the Corporations of America PsiloKitten 1,799 17 10/30/03 05:53 AM
by luvdemshrooms

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
11,735 topic views. 2 members, 17 guests and 14 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.047 seconds spending 0.014 seconds on 18 queries.