Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: Captain Shadow]
    #25497326 -

I always vent, ever since a post I saw a good amount of time back by you bod. Just curious though, do you think the higher temp was reached because you gave it the extra 10 mins of heat before putting the weight on? I know the main point is more steam/less air in the pic by venting but I was thinking try at least 1 experiment where you run them the same amount of time.


--------------------
:tardpig: it's only logical:spock:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: AlexSmitt] * 2
    #25497354 -

To be safe, USDA recommends that all pressure canners must be vented 10 minutes before they are pressurized.

To vent a canner, leave the vent pipe (steam vent) uncovered (or manually open the petcock on some older models) after you fill the canner and lock the canner lid in place. Heat the canner on high until the water boils and generates steam that can be seen escaping through the open vent pipe or petcock. When a visible funnel-shape of steam is continuously escaping the canner, set a timer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes of continuous steam, you can close the petcock or place the counterweight or weighted gauge over the vent pipe to begin pressurizing the canner.
https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/using_press_canners.html
:themoreyouknow:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: AlexSmitt]
    #25497605 -

AlexSmitt said:
I always vent, ever since a post I saw a good amount of time back by you bod. Just curious though, do you think the higher temp was reached because you gave it the extra 10 mins of heat before putting the weight on? I know the main point is more steam/less air in the pic by venting but I was thinking try at least 1 experiment where you run them the same amount of time.



No the temperature depends on the pressure. Venting it's still just at 212F. The thermometer doesn't have massive lag.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25501882 -

Testing out no venting with the 25x. A 25x with the vent tube removed. Using no basket just the trivet rack. Starting with hot ~140F tap water for both runs.

Im going to bring it up to 15 psi and toggle the on off switch to keep it at 15psi for 5m. Then kill it.

For the other run ill vent 10m. Get to 15m and hold it there 5m then kill it.

Interesting enough is that with the toggle closed from the beginning (0 venting) i could stand to hold my hand on the lid with pressure registered on the gauge. Because air was getting compressed before the water was even boiling. And once it started to boil it quickly compressed air giving an abnormally high pressure for a low temperature.



Edit


Got up to 15.5-16psi kept it there 5m before shutting down. This is what I got off the thermometer. Very interesting.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25503462 -

Nice thread bodhi :popcorn:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #25503621 -

Yea im glad I finally got to do this/ see this for myself.

If anyone has any suggestions or desires for things to do with the max reg thermometer leme know

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25504165 -

Is elevation ever a factor?  I’ve always done meats and fish at  10-12 pounds having been told that you need less depending on your elevation.  I’m not real high at about 2000 feet. 
I do follow your recommended pressure of 15-18 though, just curious.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: SunnyDayze]
    #25504631 -

Altitude does matter but 2000ft big deal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25504698 -

I have never seen a pressure cooker that doesn't have an automatic air vent.

This is the one I have now, see that little thing on the lid on the edge facing you?  Once it starts steaming, that little thing let's the steam/air out for about 10 minutes and then closes.



I usually give it another minute to make sure,,,


--------------------
 

Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.  -Noam Chomsky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The Importance of Venting a Pressure Cooker or Autoclave [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25504701 -

Good thread, been wondering about this since following one of your guides where you mention this concept.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: SunnyDayze]
    #25505013 -

SunnyDayze said:
Is elevation ever a factor?  I’ve always done meats and fish at  10-12 pounds having been told that you need less depending on your elevation.  I’m not real high at about 2000 feet. 
I do follow your recommended pressure of 15-18 though, just curious.




Elevation is a factor. At 2000 ft, you're fine, but if you really want to, add 5% to your sterilization times. I'm at 5000 ft, and I add 20%, but at 16 PSI.

Miss Vickie's rule is: for every 1000ft above 2000ft, elevation, increase cooking time by 5%. Obviously, cooking isn't sterilising, but that rule does approximate.

The reason for this adjustment is that the pressure regulator and gauge compare internal vs external pressure. If your external pressure is lower than everyone else's, then your internal pressure will be lower as well. Even though the relative pressure is 15 PSI, at sea level your absolute interior pressure will be 30 PSI. At 5000 ft ASL, my interior pressure when gauge is reading 15 PSI will be 27 PSI, a full 3 PSI lower than ideal.

Technically, I should adjust my weight to operate at 18 PSI.


--------------------

Edited by teladi (10/02/18 12:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: VroomerMcZoomers]
    #25505043 -

VroomerMcZoomers said:
I have never seen a pressure cooker that doesn't have an automatic air vent.

This is the one I have now, see that little thing on the lid on the edge facing you?  Once it starts steaming, that little thing let's the steam/air out for about 10 minutes and then closes.



I usually give it another minute to make sure,,,





The weight is supposed to be not on when venting. Also if you want it to seal faster push it down for 10 seconds and then it wont fuck about anymore and start building pressure


--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: JHOVA]
    #25505075 -

JHOVA said:
VroomerMcZoomers said:
I have never seen a pressure cooker that doesn't have an automatic air vent.

This is the one I have now, see that little thing on the lid on the edge facing you?  Once it starts steaming, that little thing let's the steam/air out for about 10 minutes and then closes.



I usually give it another minute to make sure,,,





The weight is supposed to be not on when venting. Also if you want it to seal faster push it down for 10 seconds and then it wont fuck about anymore and start building pressure



Ja, that valve is a safety feature that prevents someone from opening the PC while it is at pressure. Slow heating may never seal it, even if the PC is fully vented. Fast heating may seal it before the PC is fully vented.

From the venerable Presto 0178107's manual:

Quote:


Using a relatively high heat setting, heat the pressure canner until a steady flow of steam can be seen, heard, or felt coming from the vent pipe (Fig. I). Exhaust air from the canner for 10 minutes by allowing steam to flow from the vent pipe. Reduce heat, if necessary, to maintain a steady, moderate flow of steam.

9. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe. If heat was reduced for exhausting, adjust to a relatively high setting and heat canner. As pressure develops in canner, the air vent/cover lock will lift and lock cover on canner.

The air vent/cover lock is a visual indicator of the presence of pressure. When in the up position, pressure is in the canner; when in the down position, there is no pressure in the canner (Fig. J).





https://www.gopresto.com/uploads/downloads/instructions/0178107.pdf


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: VroomerMcZoomers]
    #25505248 -

VroomerMcZoomers said:
I have never seen a pressure cooker that doesn't have an automatic air vent.

This is the one I have now, see that little thing on the lid on the edge facing you?  Once it starts steaming, that little thing let's the steam/air out for about 10 minutes and then closes.



I usually give it another minute to make sure,,,



Lol, that is not how it works. That's no automatic air vent dude. It's the safety lock. It should pop up after a few seconds after boiling if it's been cleaned and maintained.

And of course I see that thing. I used that same cooker for this test and have two of them plus a tek for how to run them quietly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: teladi]
    #25518945 -

Ive done 21 jars since this thread and so far so good!  Not a single fail. 

I now vent minimum of 20 minutes and never let the pressure get under 15.  I knew where I was going wrong but not how to fix it.  Thanks for the info Bod!

teladi said:
SunnyDayze said:
Is elevation ever a factor?  I’ve always done meats and fish at  10-12 pounds having been told that you need less depending on your elevation.  I’m not real high at about 2000 feet. 
I do follow your recommended pressure of 15-18 though, just curious.




Elevation is a factor. At 2000 ft, you're fine, but if you really want to, add 5% to your sterilization times. I'm at 5000 ft, and I add 20%, but at 16 PSI.

Miss Vickie's rule is: for every 1000ft above 2000ft, elevation, increase cooking time by 5%. Obviously, cooking isn't sterilising, but that rule does approximate.

The reason for this adjustment is that the pressure regulator and gauge compare internal vs external pressure. If your external pressure is lower than everyone else's, then your internal pressure will be lower as well. Even though the relative pressure is 15 PSI, at sea level your absolute interior pressure will be 30 PSI. At 5000 ft ASL, my interior pressure when gauge is reading 15 PSI will be 27 PSI, a full 3 PSI lower than ideal.

Technically, I should adjust my weight to operate at 18 PSI.



Super cool explanation Teladi, thanks for taking the time!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: SunnyDayze]
    #25763817 -

Right on, I hope more newbies run across this important bit of information.
Thanks for sharing Bod.. useful!


--------------------

One must be mindful to maintain their balance on the slippery earth.

Bod's Comprehensive Agar Resource
Gizmodo's Market Stall
Say No To Grow Kits

Edited by gizmodo (01/23/19 05:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: gizmodo]
    #25773702 -

Hey guys, just wondering when to start timing the venting. I normally do it when I can see a steady flow of steam but was wondering if I should wait till the vent lock is engaged. Using a presto 23quart.


--------------------
Here Lies This Individual




Edited by The Dalcassian (01/28/19 12:49 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: The Dalcassian]
    #25773806 -

RainboWarrior said:
Hey guys, just wondering when to start timing the venting. I normally do it when I can see a steady flow of steam but was wondering if I should wait till the vent lock is engaged. Using a presto 23quart.



When it's starts steaming steadily wait 10 min to make sure air pockets are out then put weight on

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: woofwoof]
    #25773809 -

Then wait till 15 psi is reached, then start your timer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: The importance of venting a pressure cooker [Re: woofwoof]
    #25774278 -

Quote:
woofwoof said: starts steaming steadily wait 10 min to make sure air pockets are out then put weight on



Sound, just checking I wasn't doing it wrong 👍🏻


--------------------
Here Lies This Individual




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Re: Pressure Cooker Alternatives? magicpurplecow 2,638 9 05/08/00 08:10 PM
by BaldCuban
* Mirro 8QT Pressure Cooker...HELP DannyBoy 1,950 3 06/14/03 09:25 AM
by Pavement
* pressure cooker
( 1 2 3 all )
newcultivator 6,139 42 09/07/04 12:50 AM
by seatrip
* Pressure Cooker Go BOOM?
( 1 2 all )
Skikid16 13,693 27 09/29/02 03:15 AM
by alienated
* looks old...looks crappy....(pressure cooker) ParticleMan 1,553 12 02/10/02 09:34 AM
by ParticleMan
* Black Friday - If you dont have a Pressure Cooker, Find One!
( 1 2 all )
BiggDaddyCane 658 21 11/27/22 07:23 PM
by PsillySeeEms
* cooling down a pressure cooker. soochi 2,307 1 08/05/03 06:29 PM
by george castanza
* Fusible Plates. I hate pressure cookers. Jared 3,188 9 03/16/04 07:26 AM
by Prisoner#1

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
11,087 topic views. 13 members, 81 guests and 137 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 16 queries.