Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCather
journeyman
Something from Nothing?
    #2486139 - 03/31/04 03:38 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It seems to me that most of the arguments that centre on big bang or something from nothing or where did god come from would be better served if we actually new certain things .

1. Can something come from nothing?
2. If 1 applies then what can come from nothing?
3. If 2 applies then how?
4. Can something just "be" ie not come from anywhere but still exist?

As i see it creationist vs naturalist? (lol big bang etc) depends on answers to these questions before ny meaningful discussion can take place .

If something can just "be" then my opinion is that the entire shebang has always been here and was not created at all but im ot sure if this is possible , are there any examples on a smaller scale? Maybe something to do with interaction between matter and antimatter?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: Something from Nothing? [Re: Cather]
    #2486253 - 03/31/04 04:54 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Scientists estimate the visible universe to be in the magnitude of 15-20 billion years old from observing solar condition in the furthest galaxies.

I am told that in 3.3 trillion years, black holes will gobble up all but a few stray protons.

If I die, and find out that I have to spend the rest of eternity with all the other souls who were born into this universe (and then left to sit in darkness after the trumpets finish sounding) what parts of my memory will I try to play over and over again to keep me busy?

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

OfflineCather
journeyman
Re: Something from Nothing? [Re: recalcitrant]
    #2486270 - 03/31/04 05:06 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I know that they are measuring the expanding universe to date it and things like that but i honestly belivee that our observations of the part of the universe we can see ( a very small part) is like the early theories of light only travelling in straight lines ( we know it doesnt now as its affected by gravity) , i belive it will become apparent when we have the facilities for further observation that;

1. The laws that apply to a certain area may be superceded by laws governing a larger area
2. The universe is infinite (we can only "see" a small part at present , much is educated "guesswork")
3. All the laws of physics which we know will be extraneous to a unified theory (which i believe can never exist)

I believe that we will never be able to delve into the "smallest " particle or energy and that we will never observe the "whole" of the universe , bearing in mind we are operating from a severely limited midset and organic machine .

hmmmmmm maybe we will comprehend all in the end days but i sincerely believe that we are not important enough in the grand "scheme" of things to warrant being educated to that degree if there is a god or a plan at all.

OfflineSyle
Brahma
Male User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: Something from Nothing? [Re: Cather]
    #6014757 - 08/31/06 09:50 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cather said:

hmmmmmm maybe we will comprehend all in the end days but i sincerely believe that we are not important enough in the grand "scheme" of things to warrant being educated to that degree if there is a god or a plan at all.

very humble of you.  :thumbup: more people should think like this.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology