Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineTelepylus
Babyman
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: Observing your thoughts [Re: TameMe]
    #6160590 - 10/12/06 12:10 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TameMe said:
Just knowing WHY you do something is not the point of meditation.

meditation has different points depending on different meditations.
and meditation is not a way of life-
meditation is a small part of a way of life.

for most people meditation is just to help them relax.
but that is not what meditation is for- that is what sleep is for.
we aren't trying to relax, we're trying to be more aware and fully conscious. when you are more aware and fully conscious then it's easier to prioritize WHY things need to be done, or not be done.

as i just got done saying
if you don't know to what end you think and act
you're lost to chaos and disorder

the point of meditation is to think clearly
or to just trip out over some egotistical romantic thoughts of "gee, wow i'm doing yoga" lol
it's fun

sometimes people who are meditating for the first time report some crazy stuff, like psychadelic insights.
this isn't a special episode, this is normal.
yet people go so long without being normal, when they finally arrive at normal, they trip out like it's something special.
and that is not an end at all, it's a beginning.
if that is the end, then just eat acid, it's alot easier and more powerful.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTameMe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Observing your thoughts [Re: Telepylus]
    #6160618 - 10/12/06 12:17 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

"why?" goes on forever.....

you'll never know why you are here breathing now...you just are.

OfflineAmethyst
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Observing your thoughts [Re: surf rat]
    #6160743 - 10/12/06 01:25 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

thehybridlife said:
does the world really exist, or is it all in my head?

Both....

--------------------
"That's the story moving from the NO to the YES. All of life is like, no thankyou, no thankyou, no thankyou. Then ultimatey it's YES i give in, YES I accept, YES I embrace."

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Observing your thoughts [Re: TameMe]
    #6160892 - 10/12/06 03:05 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TameMe said:
I'm reading this book about meditation and it talks about being the observer of your thoughts.

When I think....my mind is at that thought...I can only observe the thought after I've had it.

Can any of you observe your thoughts while thinking?

Come to think of it...what is observing your thoughts? Just being aware of them? Can you have awarness without thought? If so...observing would just be another thought.

It really depends on the author and the context in which they are explainging the process of thinking (some would argue thinking isn't a process at all, but rather something that just *happens*).  Trying to describe if thinking is a process or not, and trying to 'intercept' that the process would also hint at if we as humans really have free will.

If you are looking for something practical to apply to your life situation, I would look at it in this way:

Obbserving your thoughts is just that, observe. And ONLY observe I might add!  We all observe our thoughts otherwise we wouldn't know they were there.  Often times though we put other things on top of the thought such as feeling which leads to emotions. The idea here is to not put so much emphasis on the thought itself, but to let it be as it is.

Some of our thoughts will act as a single for euphoria, while others will act as a signal for pain.  When you only observe your thinking you are starting to eliminate the instant feedback of emotions upon every thought you have.  This starts the process of being the master of your own mind. You start to react less and less becoming less and less of a robot to your own mind.  You not your mind, will decide what emotions should go where and at what time.

This process isn't to say emotions are bad, but we get so wrapped up with them that we drain ourselves of energy. This keeps our tanks on low instead of high.

For myself, this is the point of meditation.  Being able to connect with that energy and not lose it.  By harnessing this you are better able to make decisions and better able to decide whether or not you will feel a certain emotion. Emotions, good or bad, put stress on our body.  By not instatntly going into emotion with nearly every thought, we think with clairity and the spinning mind along with a spinning body will become more focused.

We are such an impulsive bunch aren't we?  :sun:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Observing your thoughts [Re: kaiowas]
    #6161071 - 10/12/06 05:38 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

everything is happenning at once.
you can certainly observe your thoughts
is seems a bit odd at first.

you can observe your physical posture,
and while that you can detect your thinking
you can observe your breath and while doing that note your other mental contents and body feelings.

everything is happenning all at once and you can take a peripheral gestalt appreciative attitude and be meditating for a few moments this way.
if you can expand that for 15 minutes to an hour you will have done something quite valuable.

the separation of thoughts from thinker and of self from environment becomes less. this is the seed of enlightenment

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineMaitereya
bohemian

Re: Observing your thoughts [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6163443 - 10/12/06 07:06 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

"Better indeed is knowledge than mechanical practice. Better then knowledge is meditation. But better still is surrender of attachment to results, because there follows immeadiate peace" 12:12 Bhagavad Gita

OfflineTelepylus
Babyman
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: Observing your thoughts [Re: Maitereya]
    #6163560 - 10/12/06 07:35 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

The Book of Lapis Lazuli
Chapter 5
Verse 46

Nor by memory, nor by imagination, nor by prayer, nor by fasting, nor by scourging, nor by drugs, nor by ritual, nor by meditation; only by passive love shall he avail.

--------------------

Law of Love

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom