Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinephi1618
old hand

What issues do you care about?
    #2403233 - 03/04/04 03:01 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

This is just a thread to list some political issues you think are important, or don't get enough attention.

My list:

Drug law
obvious. I think we should start by decriminalizing merijuana, and move from there. I don't think we should make everything legal at once, or that drugs should be any less heavily regulated than alcohol or tobacco. Some of the money now spent on prisons and police could be diverted to treatment programs, because addiction and drug problems are not going to go away.

Patent law
Too many patents are issued. Patent lawsuits are often no more than extortion.
see:
Forbes for the practical side of patent shakedowns
http://www.forbes.com/asap/2002/0624/044.html
Eben Moglen on the threat patent law poses to Open Source Software:
http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/publications/lu-16.html

"Pork barrel" projects
Projects that exist solely to appease the constituents and contributers to powerful politicians, and don't offer benefits that justify their costs.
No single politician of any party is immune to the appeal of pork. The only way to reduce the amount of government waste is to increase our awareness of where our tax dollars go, and to complain when they are misspent (and we don't personally benefit from the project :wink:)

environment
I think environmental reform could take advantage of market factors. For example, pollution certificates could be sold and traded, depending on the area of effect of a particular waste product.
One major concern here is enforcement. Testing of the water and air effluents of a plant needs to be random and coordinated, and the fines for violating environmental regulation should be large enough to be taken seriously. Right now, inspections are often announced and only applied to water, soil, or air. Many forms of waste can be put either in the air or water, and thus hidden from inspectors.

Spectrum regulation (Open spectrum)
The spectrum is presently divided into vast swaths, most of which are "owned". This regime is 80 years out of date and significantly retards progress and innovation and leads to highly inefficient use of the airwaves.
Here are some links that can help to understand the situation:
http://werbach.com/docs/new_wireless_paradigm.htm
http://www.reed.com/dprframeweb/dprframe.asp?section=openspec
FAQ: http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/OpenSpectrumFAQ.html

Any of these issues is far more important to me than abortion, homosexual marriage/union, gun control, or many of the other issues that are likely to figure largely in the upcoming presidential election.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: phi1618]
    #2403261 - 03/04/04 03:07 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: What issues do you care about? [Re: phi1618]
    #2403264 - 03/04/04 03:08 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

Protection of the Bill of Rights and civil liberties.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: What issues do you care about? [Re: ]
    #2403270 - 03/04/04 03:09 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Fiend said:
The only issues that matter are the issues the media decides matter.

So, you only care about the issues the media does?

Or did you miss the word "you" in the subject line?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2403274 - 03/04/04 03:10 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

The only issues that matter are the issues the media decides matter.

You and I are on the internet, no longer dependent on the "media".
We can research and decide what issues matter.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2403327 - 03/04/04 03:23 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2403346 - 03/04/04 03:27 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

it doesn't matter what issues I care about, you care about, or anyone else cares about

Wrong. It matters to you, me, and "anyone else".

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2403390 - 03/04/04 03:41 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

1. Drug Policy--It's ridiculous that we're still engaged in this hopeless "War on Drugs." It's costly, ineffective, and undermines the basic concept of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

2. Civil Liberties--Legislation like the Patriot Act is inexcusable. It goes directly against the whole idea of freedom which inspired the Bill of Rights, as do legislative efforts to ban gay marriage. I believe in equal rights for all.

3. Foreign Affairs--I want a president who isn't a war-monger, and isn't going to piss off all our allies. We need to garner international support for America, and make fewer enemies. If that means making a few sacrifices such as pulling our troops out of Saudi Arabia, then so be it.

4. Environment--The university I go to is in a valley surrounded by mountains, but some days you can't even see the mountains because they're covered with smog. I have to breathe that air on a daily basis, and I don't appreciate it. And that's just a miniscule aspect of the environmental problems facing this nation. I want a president who will work towards making this planet safer to live in.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #2403648 - 03/04/04 05:01 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

1. Drug Policy
2. Campaign Finance Reform
3. Foreign non-military aid (raise it from 0.5%)
4. Global Climate Change/Alternative Energy
5. Setting up a U.S. version of BBC so that media isnt dictated as much by sponsors and has a stronger voice in the government about what they should be allowed to broadcast (such as images of war victims)
6. Cutting the oversized military budget

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
    #2404198 - 03/04/04 07:47 PM (20 years, 28 days ago)

1. Taxes, Government spending, Central Banks-Fractional Reserve Banking, USURY.(cut off the head and the body will die)

1 1/2. Foreign Policy- Realpolitik with conscience, rather than pure "take over the world"ness... #1 can fix this among others, can't get involved where you shouldn't be if you don't have the funds.

2. Media concentration, Unchecked corporate power, corporate personhood, corporate influence over gov't.

3. "Save me from myself" legislation, IE drug war, etc..

4. Military,(too big, unnecessary) 2nd ammendment- individual right, less emphasis on the dangers of guns, more emphasis on the much larger cause of what makes people murder other people.

5. Education. Needs big-time improvement in both quality and management, (hopefully with #2 fulfilled, we could see people being educated to be better people, better thinkers, rather than better consumers.)

Thats all I got for now..

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom