Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

project greenhouse
    #2341007 - 02/16/04 12:21 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I have been expermenting with different designs and this one seems to be the best so far.  I haven?t seen anyone use a ultrasonic with this design so if it works then I am calling it "zerohero?s glorous greenhouse tek that even monkeys can use":wink: :grin:

FM from nansnook used it but he had a fogger. I didn?t have a fogger but I had a ultrasonic humifier I thought this might be a good way to fix the common problem that most ultrasonics are plagued with(to much moisture).

the details:

the hepa fan is attached to a small clear tub that allows the air to flow with great effiency.  that is attached to a PVC tube that stick stickes out of the storage bin(mixing bin) by an inch at least.

the ultrasonic it attach at the bottom of the storage bin(mount it flush with the bin) and the fitting is made smaller than the PVC pipe leading to the greenhouse to create a positve pressure(this is important b/c the humidy needs to be pulled out and not have the air flow into the ultrasonic humifier.  I had problem before with this but I think this will correct it.)

the storage bin is the mixing bin for the dry and humidy air. moisture will form and it will travel back into the ultrasonic.  that why I said it has to be flush with the storage bin.  the air will then flow into the PVC piping and then travels into the greenhouse where the proper air exchange and humidy are met.

I have a similar design as this now but the storage bin is key as I have to usually change out my ultrasonic every with fresh water.. now the excess water will flow into the ultrasonic.

does anyone have any suggestion.  FM homer system worked great with the fogger unit and I figure the same with the ultrasonic.  I will post pictures when I complete the project. :gd_icon: :laugh:

peace

zeorhero

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: project greenhouse [Re: ]
    #2342615 - 02/16/04 05:54 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Why not put the humidifier inside a bin with a hepa filter on it? The humidifier sucks air in to use and trhat air is unclean...

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
    #2342770 - 02/16/04 06:26 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

No point in having the hepa, if the ultra sonic is pumping regular air...

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: project greenhouse [Re: Jared]
    #2342978 - 02/16/04 07:27 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Good observation Jared.

I would suggest placing the ultrasonic into a filtered chamber. Also make sure that everything up to the fruiting chamber is sealed, otherwise there is little benefit in using a HEPA filter over any standard filter.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Edited by Joshua (02/16/04 07:28 PM)

Invisiblekeyeghost
?

#2343033 - 02/16/04 07:38 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I think it's a good design, one that is definitely worth experimenting with. I don't know that I would count a HEPA filter out under any circumstance

--------------------
"time couldn't end me, even the great devil Satan who tried to befriend me, understand the equality, God in the bodily form, lettin my knowledge be born" RZA as Prince Rakeem

Anonymous

Re: project greenhouse [Re: dobinky]
    #2343042 - 02/16/04 07:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

if you aren't familiar with the FM tek then here is the link.  homer tek
its a great tek.

Quote:

dobinky said:
Why not put the humidifier inside a bin with a hepa filter on it? The humidifier sucks air in to use and trhat air is unclean...

good idea! I will rig it to reflect that. :laugh:  the only thing is that I have never had a contam from air from a ultrasonic.. I find that if you provide enough air exchange the risk of contams go down next to nothing where contams will be in the air or not... thats provided you would in a clean enviroment or not. but your idea is one I will use to take that needed step.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2343062 - 02/16/04 07:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

He means that the ultrasonic does circulate air, if this air is not filtered and then allowed to mix with HEPA filtered air, you have then reduced your set-up to sub-HEPA standards.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Anonymous

Re: project greenhouse [Re: Joshua]
    #2343080 - 02/16/04 07:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

sorry.. after reading my post.. I determined I was to stoned to converse!  I deleted most of it b/c I didnt' read it right the first time. :tongue: sorry. :grin:

yeah I will put a hepa filter on the ultrasonic then.... is that the only suggestion so far?  is there anyway to improve it? other than what was said. :smile:

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #2344895 - 02/17/04 08:36 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

it will also save you space...you wont need those other bins, just theone with the humidifier on it. Also why not use garden hose or plastic hose? Its easier to deal with if you have to move it or something....

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2345598 - 02/17/04 12:26 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Just want to point out that the fogger that FM uses is ultrasonic. It's just a different configuration, but works just like an ultrasonic humidifer. Rather than having it's own resevoir though, it's just the active part of an ultrasonic, and sits in a resevoir you supply (a bucket in FM's case).

So your basic items are the same as his, follow his lead.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2346001 - 02/17/04 01:51 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

This has been something I have been tossing around in my head for quite some time.

It'll take me a day to write up what I have formally. But keep your eyes peeled.

Anonymous

Re: project greenhouse [Re: mycofile]
    #2346172 - 02/17/04 02:47 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

yeah I noticed the fogger was the same as my ultrasonic.. they work the same... I should jsut that and call it quits.. I mean fogger only cost like 30 bucks at most.. but I really want to get the ultrasonic to work....

I will follow his lead.. but I need to make sure the ultrasonic is filtering clean air in there first... but it looks like it will work with ease.. now to start building. :smile:

yidakiman - I will interested when you design it.. pm a link once yoiu make it.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #2354400 - 02/19/04 10:58 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

What I meant was fogger=ultrasonic, no difference. Use what you have.

Also, now that I look at it, I think your design is fine. Unless you have some kindof US I've never seen, they don't really need to be filtered. Every US hummer I've ever seen pumps out absolutely no air, just water vapor. If the hummer is kept clean (a very little iodine in the water will do the trick), then there is no reason to filter the humidity it puts out.

Think about it, US hummers have a resevoir that is sealed, and a device that uses ultrasonic waves to atomize the water particles. That's it, no fan, no air intake, nothing. As long as the water is clean, the mist will be clean too.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2355794 - 02/19/04 04:46 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I tooled around in photoshop long enough to figure out that I can't draw this thing.

The greenhouse itself will be constructed of PVC piping and the piping will be used to route fresh humid air throughout the greenhouse. Constant airexchange and humidification via a floating fogger inside a 5 gal bucket and pushing air with a CPU fan. The dimensions of the new greenhouse will be 6feet tall, five feet long, and two feet deep. The volume fo the greenhouse would be 60 Feet^3.
Blueprints indicate that it can house eight columns 4 feet tall and 6 inches in diameter. That might be a little tight, but it's only a forecast. A fan that moved only 10 cfm of air would be satisfactory. A positive pressure environment would reduce the cfm slightly enough to give me around 5 air exchanges per hour, enough for any species. But this is primarily designed for oysters that are very sensitive to high CO2 levels.

But shelves can also be added for tray or block culture. I was planning one shelf to be permenant, at 24 inches. I don't want anything growing under 24inches above the floor. My oyster columns will rest their weight on this shelf. Using the same schematic for this bottom shelf, shelves can be added at any interval, although at this point I plan 12 inch intervals. Thats four shelves for a total of 40sq ft of cropping space. The use of shelving is also the reason that the piping will be used as routing for humidity. When the greenhouse has only columns, a descending fog environment would be fine because it would have a lot of freedom to move. But when shelves are nearly covered with blocks or trays airflow is restricted. Thus I would use the piping to route the humid air equally to each shelf.

Edited by YidakiMan (02/19/04 04:51 PM)

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: project greenhouse [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2355985 - 02/19/04 05:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

What are you using to cover the whole thing with? Jus t a clear plastic drape?
What will the shelves be made out of?

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: project greenhouse [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #2356164 - 02/19/04 06:08 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I covered my current shelf terrerium with 6 mil contruction grade drop plastic and I plan the same for the new one .

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: project greenhouse [Re: YidakiMan]
    #2356185 - 02/19/04 06:14 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

how did you cover the bottom and make it leak proof?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2356674 - 02/19/04 07:52 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Nevermind, I think I missed the point of the post. . .

Edited by Suntzu (02/19/04 07:54 PM)

Anonymous

Re: project greenhouse [Re: Suntzu]
    #2358856 - 02/20/04 10:11 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

thanks for the input mycofile!

I thought a US would work fine with the risk of contams. I still need to build this device.

to hold up the storage bin will be a little table. then the air and US get routed in there. I really hope this works.. but like mycofile said.. its basically like FM homer system but with a US.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: project greenhouse [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #2359890 - 02/20/04 02:40 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Here are some pics of my current shelf terrerium.

Excluding the front side "door", there are three pieces of plastic; top, bottom and the other three vertical sides. First I did the top and bottom because they were the smaller surfaces. As you can see the plastic is folded over the edges and doubled up. It was stuck down with spray adhesive.

Here it is closed up. Self adhesive velcro holds the door in place. The adhesive has given me a lot of trouble. It seems to stick to the door piece fine, but it comes off the shelf.

And finally here it is opened up. When in operation, the bottom is slightly open.

If you look really carefully, the floor seems to have a beige sheen to it. That is because it is covered in the very same plastic. The plastic has two functions. It prevents contams, dirt and etc in the carpet from entering the air and it prevents dirt from soiling the carpet.

I've found that only carelessness will rip or poke holes this plastic, so I guess that anything thinner would be fairly fragile. When I bought the plastic I simply bought the thickest stuff I could find. It is 6 mil, but I think 8 mil is in circulation. It is construction grade drop plastic.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck