Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSpudz76
Got mycelium on the brain...
Male

Ramen Project
    #3133352 - 09/14/04 08:58 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So I searched and at least found one reference of using Ramen noodles as a substrate, which indicated (with no further information) that they 'work' when substituted for BRF (assuming, crushed or powdered). Other results were of the "I eat mine in some cooked Ramen" variety.

Now my examination so far reveals the contents of a Ramen brick as such (from the package, Maruchan brand if it matters):
Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Contains one or more of the following: Canola, Cottonseed, Palm), Salt, Potassium Carbonate, Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Carbonate, Turmeric, BHT

BHT is the only preservative (besides salts) and is not an antifungal type (it is an oxygen scavenger). Thus, I believe it true that mycelium would grow on it (especially being wheat based, and other additives being related to nutrients which could even help beyond the wheat). This leads me to wonder how the bricklike shape could be exploited to make perfect casings, which of course benefit hugely from an even spawn layer. I think I will obtain a container about the size of a Ramen brick, and add water about an ounce at a time, allowing for it to soak it up evenly and judging the overall consistency of the noodle wad each time. At some point I expect to discover the perfect amount of water to make it as wet as it can be without turning to mush, since we want it to keep all those beautiful air pockets in the middle (at least, long enough for colonization) and hold its shape. Then I would inoculate this saturated cake of Ramen with some mycelium culture in five points (the corners and right in the exact center) and place it in an incubator with daily observations of the result. Eventually after colonization has completed and there is a nice, even surface of solid mycelium I would fridge dunk the cake and then put a quarter inch layer of casing material on top and fruit immediately (no need to wait for anything to recover or recolonize, bonus!). Yield would be recorded for each flush, if multiples are possible. I would expect a very nice initial flush and then probably little or no flushes after that.

Now if it works in a one-brick size container then I'd move up to finding a tray which would fit say six bricks laid out like tiles and innoculate that whole thing by flooding it with the prediscovered right amount of water (times six now, of course), already mixed with mycelium (so, a liquid culture would be used to both hydrate and inoculate at the same time). I would figure the brick ought to be rather sterile coming directly out of the package, and you could probably open/place/flood in a quick operation which could be done perhaps even in open air (the salts in the Ramen brick should help keep contams at bay anyhow I hope)(I have also just read that turmeric is a strong natural antibacterial and antioxidant agent, though being second to last in the list means there is not much in it). If contams were to be an issue then I may add some peroxide to the mix. I believe any attempts to sterilize would make the Ramen go to goo.

This idea hopefully could become a very simple, no-cook, highly successful method for 'instant perfect casings'. Also it doesn't hurt that ramen bricks can be had for rather cheap (considering it's a fully prepared substrate, basically). But what will we do with all the "flavor packets"?

Any comments welcomed, before I begin testing.

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

Edited by Spudz76 (09/14/04 10:15 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShroomCat
Shroom Acolyte

Re: Ramen Project [Re: Spudz76]
    #3133721 - 09/14/04 11:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds enticing. I more or less lived off of Ramen last year while I was completing college. I wonder if could mushrooms also consume Ramen as their sole source of nutrition. If this works, it's gonna be one cheap and easy casing method.

Flavour packs? We could trade them like spore prints! Or use them to make simple soup broth, I guess.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
    #3134852 - 09/14/04 04:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Spudz, if this works and gets good yields, I'm sure you will have inspired many to go buy Ramen, including myself. Very, very interesting idea.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinevc77
grillmaster
 User Gallery

Loc: University Place, WA
    #3134913 - 09/14/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I use ramen packets in chicken soup, and other stuff.

Sounds like a good idea. Are they completely sterile straight out of the package?

OfflineSpudz76
Male

Re: Ramen Project [Re: vc77]
    #3135170 - 09/14/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

vc77 said:
Are they completely sterile straight out of the package?

I would imagine it would be very likely, being a food product and having no water content and no preservatives besides the BHT (which is only to keep the vegetable oil from oxidizing) and has no antifungal or antibacterial properties. Plus you don't have to cook them for very long or with very hot water at that, so it's not like they expect any 'antisepticism' (making up my own words is cool) from the cooking process.

Also remembered they make the Ramen-in-a-cup things, maybe those would work as mini casings similar to solo cup casings, or work as cakes if one chose to fruit them that way. The only down side is the cup is styrofoam so you wouldn't be able to watch progress/see contams/etc. Though you could pop the cup-shaped brick out and drop it in a clear Solo cup or something. But those I think already have the flavor packet mixed in so you only have to add water so that might be a deal breaker (the contents of the flavoring broth is waaay too salty).

--------------------
Anywhere in this posting where I have referred to myself or my possessions, it is a personalization of events and items experienced or possessed by someone else.  I do not personally do anything illegal, and I hope nobody else does either.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3135308 - 09/14/04 06:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineShroomCat
Shroom Acolyte

#3135472 - 09/14/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

When do you plan on beginning your testing, Spudz?  I'm super-anxious to hear how it goes.  I'd do it myself if I had anything left to inoculate with.

With any luck, it will colonize as well as rotini, and case better too.

Good luck.  :thumbup:

OfflineSpudz76
Male

#3135653 - 09/14/04 07:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, thanks Anno - I had seen already that because my original spark of thought was "hey, did anyone try pasta?" So when that was already taken I moved along and thought of Ramen bricks during discussions of how important a very flat spawn layer is in a casing.

My testing will begin perhaps in a week, however it could be sooner. I basically have to make a karo culture from one of my cakes, and I'm a lazy bastard. But shortly, I will do the culture and then wait a few days to be sure it's not contam filled, then shoot up the Ramen brick. Mostly I had just come up with the idea and figured I'd fish for some more ideas or opinions about it first.

Oh and I have Bluemeanie (cubensis), Oaxacan, or B+ to choose from for this, which should I use? I was figuring on using anything but the B+ since I had bad luck with it colonizing. Oaxacan was the most vigorous colonizer of the three, it seemed.

--------------------

Edited by Spudz76 (09/14/04 07:56 PM)

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3138988 - 09/15/04 04:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Haha, I was going to say avoid the B+, seeing as my B+ is taking sooooooo long to colonize... I'm on week 3 and only one looks like it's where it should be. I even have one that only has dime-sized colonization around the injection points after 3 weeks of good incubation. *sigh* I hope the large fruits are worth it.

Anyways, when you get this up and running, post a grow log of it. I'm excited to see your progress. :laugh:

--------------------

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineSpudz76
Male

Re: Ramen Project [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3140897 - 09/15/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I had similar "amazing" results with B+. Not real sure why it's usually considered a good beginners strain. My water content was real fouled up though also, the cakes were full grain brown rice so they colonized like ass anyhow so I'm sure it could have been better so I try not to generalize from one experience. I have decided to use the Oaxacan, since it was vigorous similar to other Mexican strains, and also it's the healthiest cake I seem to have on hand. I set up a karo jar earlier and so tomorrow I hope to see something good going on in there. If that fails I'll redo and use a very clean source from some of the new growth on my cakes I was trying to fruit (don't think they're going to - but I think I do have one 'monster knot' on one of them but not much else).

--------------------

OfflineSpudz76
Male

#3144955 - 09/16/04 08:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

OK, an update, karo jar seems to be going along rather happily, but have to wait a couple more days to be sure it's clean and for some more fresh mycelium to build so I can suck it up for innoculation.  Local store had a sale on Ramen, what great timing, so they were $0.10 each and I got a bunch.  Hopefully I can prove/disprove this before I eat them all. :smile:

--------------------

Offlinecurious4
    #3151448 - 09/18/04 05:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

use b+ i've seen dime size growth in 2 1/2 days from innoculation.

Offlinericelicker
The Dude'sImaginary Friend
 Arcade Champion: Radial Snake

Loc: The Yard
Re: Ramen Project [Re: curious4]
    #3151609 - 09/18/04 07:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

We should get more than one person started on this. I will contact The Dude and tell him to whip somethin up.

So you just add 1/4 cup of water at a time until it won't absorb anymore or what? No PCing?

--------------------
"my brain waves travel at half the speed afta we..." -del tha funkee

"Two men looked out through prison bars...one saw the mud, one saw the stars." -anonymous

OfflineZeroArmy27

Re: Ramen Project [Re: ricelicker]
    #3152690 - 09/19/04 01:16 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the ramen comes sterile in the package, so no PC.

I think he's going to soak the noodles in karo/let the ramen soak up the karo. also myc. transfer in the corners and middle...

--------------------

OfflineSpudz76
Male

Re: Ramen Project [Re: ricelicker]
    #3152771 - 09/19/04 01:36 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah the plan is to find out how much water a Ramen brick will absorb on its own without being cooked and without using hot water, just normal room temperature, maybe 80 degrees or so. I don't want to actually make soup, so it will end up being less than half the amount of water used as per the directions for making soup. Also I think too much water (as in, maximum it will absorb) will make the brick lose its brick shape, more importantly the spaces between since that is where mycelium must grow. If it is a 'solid' mass of Ramen goo I don't think it will work, so it needs to hold its shape somewhat.

Once this amount of water is figured out it should be the same for all Ramen bricks since they are all the same size. I planned to just dump in some liquid culture of the right amount, which will hydrate and inoculate at the same time, and reduce the amount of time things are in the open air (not using flowhood/glovebox of course, this being a "very low requirement" idea which should not require anything but a liquid culture, Ramen bricks, and containers - well and obviously a incubator and fruiting chamber).

A further step could involve just plain injecting the bag directly with the right amount of culture, and incubate within its own packaging. The only downside to this is not being able to see what's going on (and the cake would have the little foil pack of flavorings within its outer layer somewhere, which would need to be picked out later at birthing/casing time), but the upside is you don't even need a container really then and zero open air is involved then. But that would be a further experiment after I can prove they work in the first place.

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3152833 - 09/19/04 01:55 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

what about the needle hole from innoc.? you'd need to cover that up... use a band-aid. they come sterile and they'll allow air exchange from the hole.

just a thought.

--------------------

OfflineSpudz76
Male

Re: Ramen Project [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3152850 - 09/19/04 02:00 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yep, for relative brevity of my post I left that detail out.  One should consider that rather obvious, anyway. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineZeroArmy27

#3152865 - 09/19/04 02:05 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Just making sure you didn't forget. I like to get things planned out to the T if it comes to growing some of these babies. growing them is addictive, too.

update us ASAP!

--------------------

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #3152970 - 09/19/04 02:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Uh....I believe the proper phoenitc equivalent is, "Lamyon." 
Cheers ums. :crazy2: :grin:

GB

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Offlinekraj
Stranger
Re: Ramen Project [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3156902 - 09/20/04 07:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

so would you be breaking up the ramen brick at all or leaving it as-is sitting in a jar?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology