Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Air Pump, Hygrometer, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRudiger420
Rudiger420
Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer.
    #3471256 - 12/09/04 05:02 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I put this in the advance sections b/c too many kids asking simple questions or odd ones would cause the information value of the answers I need to be quickly swept behind a few pages and wouldn't have a chance to get some reasonable responses.  Anyhow, my question is afoaf has this fruiting chamber.  It has a 3 tiere shelf and fits in one of those martha stewart closets. (actually its not the same brand but the same size 36" wide).  An Ultra sonic humidifyer is hooked up to the whole thing and fills the thing quite nicely with humidity in about 5 minutes. It's one of the blue ones from wally world. dysana maybe not. sp. check...  Well this friend is too poor to afford one of those instumental humidity gauges and doesn't want to waste his $ on one made by a plastic company so I was hoping someone who has already had a similar set up would know what this friend should time the ultra sonic humidifyer to.  5 minutes every hour on high? 3 times a day for 5 minutes each time? Once each day for an hour on high? On low for 12 hours each day? What? help this guy out. Peace Rudiger420 :stoned:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer. [Re: Rudiger420]
    #3471904 - 12/09/04 07:21 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

ultrasonics work great for lotsa humidity - the only reason coolmists generally get the nod if you have the choice is that ultrasonics provide very little air. i used to use one, but it made it all too damn misty - great for pinning, but too much for mushroom fruitbody growth.

assuming you have air exchange in your martha under control, 5 minutes every 2-4 hours should do it.

--------------------
buh

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer. [Re: shirley knott]
    #3472750 - 12/09/04 09:49 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

do you have a cool mist and ultrasonic or just the ultra?

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #3474908 - 12/10/04 07:21 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

in my friends 3tier greenhouse... coolmist runs 24/7 and a ultra runs 15minutes every hour.

any less than 15 ever hour the mushies have growth issues due to lack of water from ultra.....

air is exchanged every 45minutes.

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer. [Re: dobinky]
    #3475766 - 12/10/04 01:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

dobinky; i had that same time setup for a 60" martha. worked perfect.

InvisibleRudiger420
Rudiger420
    #3475873 - 12/10/04 01:59 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This foaf is just using the ultrasonic humidifyer. Actually the brand name is Relion I believe. No cool mist is present and won't be due to lack of funds. I always thought that 5 minutes on high seemed to mist everything just fine. The cakes seemed to collect small water droplets on them and the trays have mycilium reaching for the top already. So my guess so far is 5 minutes every 3 hours. If this friend had a damn humidity gauge, then we could time it just right so when the humidity level falls under 90% the u.s.h. would go off for 5 minutes. However I don't know how long it takes for a fruiting chamber that large to decrease to 90% humidity. Every hour? Every 3 hours? Every day? What? Thanks for the info so far.

Offlinefungophiliac
militantpacifist
 User Gallery
Loc: yo mama
    #3541453 - 12/25/04 04:50 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

too bad humidistats are so expensive.

--------------------
why are there so many more horses asses than there are horses?

if you can't duck it, fuck it.
-the makers of duck tape

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
 User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer. [Re: fungophiliac]
    #3543805 - 12/26/04 09:38 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Timers absolutely bite for use as humidity controllers. What you want is a humidistat, expensive or not. Here's the one I use and it works great.
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls2.shtml
Scroll down to the pre-wired humidistat.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

Offlinescioto
Stranger
Re: Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3543876 - 12/26/04 11:40 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

While looking at the humidistat controller I noticed the price for a Cyclestat Timer. Kinda $$. Here's a link on how to build one for alot less. http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/1110
Perhaps this is old news but have not seen it yet mentioned. Still exploring all this site has to offer.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer. [Re: scioto]
    #3552084 - 12/28/04 12:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

trying to only time a humidifier can be frustrating and finnicky as it is almost impossible to get a stable, long running setup. it is best to use other techniques along with a timed humidifierr.

One of the simplest (given space) methods is to increase the air volume to be humidified. IOW, use a bigger terrarium/chamber/etc.

not so simple but ultimately effective is the introduction of filtered air. this is as simple as a 12volt CPU fan or two and a 12V wall wart. if you plan to run several fans or add/delete fans on the fly it pays to build a dedicated supply with multiple taps. either way you do it the idea is to move air which "soaks up" the excess air. if you use careful filtration design (damps airflow) and fan speed control (potentiometers) you can perfectly match the necessary amount of air to reach humidified harmony :P not to mention drastically reducing the amount of labor involved in manual air exchanges. i've found it best to put the fans on the same timer as the humidifier.

also, another good method is to use a single drying tank (ala MMGG) with multiple taps. IOW, a five gallon bucket with holes in the lid for intake and output tubing. make as many holes as you want outputs. use stopped tubing to block outputs not in use. the bucket can simply have the lid popped off and be emptied, sanitised, and placed back in operation in all of 5 minutes.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer. [Re: debianlinux]
    #3552118 - 12/28/04 12:27 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

i have a coolmist (clear hose) that runs at 4am-4.30, 8-8.30, 12-12.30, 4-4.30pm, 8-8.30pm and midnight to half past.

the red hose is the ultrasonic, 15 minutes at 2am, 6, 10, 14:00, 6pm and 10pm.

a max-min thermometer/hygrometer currently reads the recent ranges as 55-65F, 94-99%.
it's kind of a condensing fog, but these are the conditions i need right now. i'm gonna check the coolmist's specs and calculate the terrarium volume, to see if i need to speed up the flow. presumably this is (volume/flow rate per minute= volume cleared per minute ...... so for 4 air exchanges req'd per hour as a minimum, this is gonna need to be high.... hmm)

--------------------
buh

Edited by shirley knott (12/28/04 12:31 PM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer. [Re: shirley knott]
    #3552315 - 12/28/04 01:32 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

hmm, well i couldn't find anything out about the flow rates of my coolmist (Bionaire BCM1250 Cool Mist Humidifier) but it does say "Displaces up to 2.5 litres of cool moisture per day / Ideal for rooms up to 22 sq m / 3 litre tank capacity / 2 speed settings".

but the terrarium is 50 x 55 x 120cm = 330,000cm3 (0.33 m3 ..... so i presume that if i want 6 FAE/hr i need it to push out 2m3 per hour average. i currently have it on for 13% of the time, so with these settings i want my machine to output about 15m3/hr by my rusty maths.

can any of you work out a flow rate from this, or suggest a likely flow rate for a machine with these specs? i'll tweak the timers accordingly.

joshua? anno?

--------------------
buh

Edited by shirley knott (12/28/04 01:34 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3552448 - 12/28/04 02:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Without reading the whole thread.

That is a tough one & the math doesnt mean much. Simply because machines of that nature are not "calibrated" to any standard.

Moreover, is the terrarium "tight", semi-tight or vented? All of which matters to ambiant & constant rh.

If you have a hydrometer that is accurate (or, at least fairly - so). Place it in the terrarium, run the hummer so it adjusts rh to where to want it & time how long it took. Then turn it off & time how fast the rh drops 10 - 15%% below where you want it.

That should give you an idea of how long to run it & the timing intervals to maintain "about" the rh - you want.

Tweeak & tweak until you have an average rh & that is about all you can do.

Unless you want to spend some money to purchase a "Humistat" that will turn it on & off for you, in order for it to maintain the desired rh.

Sorry, not much help.

PS, THIS is what my foaf uses.

Edited by agar (12/28/04 02:36 PM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Timing the fruiting chamber with an ultrasonic humidifyer. [Re: agar]
    #3552497 - 12/28/04 02:48 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for that, very helpful.

it's the fresh air exchange that is important to me. presumably if i am worried it's inadequate, maybe i just keep the coolmist on 24/7 and play with the ultrasonic to keep it in my range.

--------------------
buh

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3552536 - 12/28/04 03:06 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Foaf has two (2) seperate systems to manage that aspect. 1 for rh & another for air exchange. Rh unit is internal & automated.

Air pump, timer & w/inline micron filter is extermal & piped into grow chamber.

That creates "positive air pressure" inside grow chamber & keeps most contams out. IMHO... fanning or external "coolmist" just "fans" or pumps in unwanted things, besides fresh air exchange - you do want.

My foaf considers his time & efforts valuable in getting a cased substrate to point of pinning. To insure it goes well, from there, he made the "investment" to automate the rest of the process, so all his prior invested "time & labor: does not go to waste, in the final stage.

It is well worth "investing" to get what you need, so the result is what you WANT. Frugal agar, waste not, want not

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Air Pump, Hygrometer, Portable Greenhouse, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology