Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Salvia, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? (w/rough plans)
    #1176868 - 12/29/02 09:40 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Anyone out there ever tried this? Such as maybe growing a plant that likes high humidity and is very resistant to root rot adjacent to say a casing or colonizing poo with 2 tubes connecting both chambers to effectively achieve air exchange via the 2 plants instead of exposing the plants to the outside world? Be a nice idea and i'd like to try but my green thumb is broken.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Edited by socratesmind (12/29/02 11:50 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? [Re: socratesmind]
    #1176881 - 12/29/02 09:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This would work. Fungi and Plant live in symbiosis practically everywhere on earth. If you were to try this, pick a tropical plant- it would likely tolerate / thrive in high humidities

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1176891 - 12/29/02 09:57 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yea was thinking maybe a salvia but would like something mroe resistant to root rot. also would u think the plant would need watering if in such a high humidity setting? and is rate of digestion for co2/o2 for fungi/plants about the same? topic needs more research. here's what i had in mine as far as plans. sorry my drawings suck but anyone feel free to report back as far as results and such go. i'll prolly give it a whirl sometime but won't be anytime soon as i'm on a vacation.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Edited by socratesmind (12/29/02 11:48 AM)

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#1177082 - 12/29/02 11:49 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleSubGen1us
 User Gallery

#1177125 - 12/29/02 12:10 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

why not just put them both in the same terrerium its easy and it does the same thing with out all the fans and stuff

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? (w/rough plans) [Re: socratesmind]
    #1177132 - 12/29/02 12:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

to whomever will try a symbiotic experiment, consider this.

ive read that amanitas only grow around coniferous trees. and some people have had success mixing up the caps in the soil, and starting an amanita colony around an otherwise lonely tree

if someone were to buy a small fir, or something of that sort, and ordered an amanita print, you could inject some spores right into the soil. keep the plant in the corner as a decoration, and maybe youll get a colony going. what if you made a few syringes, and innoculated once a month, they may catch sooner or later

that woul;d be cool as hell to have some big red mushies growin by a tree in your house. and they are legal!!

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? [Re: SubGen1us]
    #1177138 - 12/29/02 12:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

why not just put them both in the same terrerium its easy and it does the same thing with out all the fans and stuff

Well it's still a relatively cheap setup and will help with dead spots to ensure proper air exchange. also if in same chamber co2 would line bottom container and the o2 would be above that so the fungi may not even get o2 if in same chamber.

--------------------

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
    #1177149 - 12/29/02 12:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

A couple problems: the dirt used to grow plants harbors contams. and the plants dont give off enough oxygen to go without fanning. you're not the first to think of this.

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1177300 - 12/29/02 01:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

if you sterilized the soil and planted something fast growing like say
Cress,wheat,beans or another fast crop you may manage a fruiting
or croping of both mushrooms and vegertation in a sealed container.What an exalent
idear youve had :smile: i've seen experiments using wheat in space as a fast
turn over crop :smile: and great air cleaner so using the stems(straw)for
the mushrooms then them turning it back to soil for the wheat could
be a sweet as long term survival in space stratergy.But i bet those
nasa mateys are onto it already :smile:
<< Goes of and searches :smile: 

--------------------
er

InvisibleSubGen1us
 User Gallery

Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? [Re: G a n j a]
    #1177364 - 12/29/02 01:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

throw some grass seed in there

--------------------

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? (w/rough plans) [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #1177423 - 12/29/02 02:10 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

A couple problems: the dirt used to grow plants harbors contams. and the plants dont give off enough oxygen to go without fanning. you're not the first to think of this.

Yea i figured that one but if you sterilize soil and such and keep it relatively clean i think it'd work. Also don't some plans convert more co2 to o2 or are they all relatively the same since they are photosynthetic?
Also wouldn't the plants keep the soil fairly clean since they'd have antibodies like fungi? Also has anyone done this for experience sake?

--------------------

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
    #1177660 - 12/29/02 03:59 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

that brings up another problem: you need enough light to support the plant, but it cant be too hot so the mycelium can survive. I guess that could be solve by using seperate chambers. seems like too much work, it would be a lot easier just to fan.

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

OfflineALHOFF177A17
DoWn RU?

#1177696 - 12/29/02 04:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

On my first grow I had a basil plant in my terrarium. Cant say it helped because of low yeilds but it was pretty cool when the plant grew roots off of its stem.

--------------------
www.DoWnClothing.COM

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1178669 - 12/30/02 04:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Quote:

Yea i figured that one but if you sterilize soil and such and keep it relatively clean i think it'd work. Also don't some plans convert more co2 to o2 or are they all relatively the same since they are photosynthetic?
Also wouldn't the plants keep the soil fairly clean since they'd have antibodies like fungi? Also has anyone done this for experience sake?

I've been wanting to try something similar since my grow lab is really well sealed from the outside world. I have made provisions for bringing in filtered air but I thought having a plant in the fruiting chamber would be ideal. I, too have considered the dirt harboring pests and contams. My proposed solution would be to use those bamboo looking plants that just grow in water with marbles. The only problem I've run into is providing enough light for the plant to thrive. Any solutions?

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? (w/rough plans) [Re: debianlinux]
    #1179313 - 12/30/02 09:37 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

sealed chamber with a seran wrap top thats totally opaque/clear. that way you control how much light they get and u can even line sides of chamber with tinfoil to give a mirroring effect so sides get some light as well.

--------------------

Offlinegrowin
addict
    #1179372 - 12/30/02 09:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Quote:

yeah, when i started growin i had a terranium with a casing and a small salvia plant.
i grew a batch and it was EXTRA strong. 2 friends ate 2g each and they had a VERY strong experience. 5th pleatu.
i ate about 1g (even less) of it in the meteor shower not long ago and had a great trip.
we are all experienced with psychedelics and did shrooms alot of times.
the genetics weren't that special. just a regular multispore casing of cubes.
i did several batches from the same print and none was as powerfull like the one grown with some salvia in the terranium.
maybe its the gas exchange, maybe its a fluke, maybe its MAGGIIC.
we need more people experimenting this idea...

im now wishing to create a grow space in my attic, but i cant think of a plant that also likes high humidity and also needs very few light.
any ideas?

a growin original

Offlinegrowin
addict
Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? (w/rough plans) [Re: growin]
    #1179390 - 12/30/02 10:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

THE SALVIA (just died :frown: ) :

THE CASING (birdseed cased with verm):

a growin original

Edited by growin (12/30/02 10:05 AM)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1179493 - 12/30/02 10:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I guarantee it would be easier to just fan. Or use an airpump, or whatever. But I really like seeing people actually TRY this kind of stuff. I jotted a couple of things that came to mind;

The position of the input and output air tubes could be positioned such that you have some entrainment; Depending on the power of the fans and the filter used. If you elevated the tray just a half inch or so, this effect may be increased.

It seems as though having pseudo-airtight lids [e.g. rubbermaid with saran wrap windows, caulked as described above. . .better ideas certainly out there] would also improve the air circulation.

Sterilizing the soil, never been a fan of that one. Most plants do remarkably poor in sterilized soil. IMO, the prefilter for the return tube should accomodate the use of unsterilized soil.

Of course, keeping rH up in the fungal chamber will be an issue. . .trays of perlite could easily do this.

Regardless of how well this is set up, however, the CO2 cycling will not be regular and uniform. The CO2 production of a spawn block is not constant through a fruiting cycle. IF you had enough plant material to effectively consume a wide range, it could work, and be a remarkable example for others. For some reason I see trays of wheatgrass. . .

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? (w/rough plans) [Re: growin]
    #1179632 - 12/30/02 11:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sweet can of mush, BTW, growin.

That is just plain beautiful!

OfflineTorey
consciousparadox

Loc: somewhere over the rainbo...
Re: Symbiotic Plant/Fungi grow chamber? (w/rough plans) [Re: Suntzu]
    #1180905 - 12/31/02 01:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Could one grow wheat grass hydroponically in h202/h20 solution? ie. no dirt.

--------------------
peace and love!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Salvia, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology