Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Do you realize your mortality?
    #2281357 - 01/28/04 03:37 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, you have thought about death and perhaps shuddered for an instant. Intellectually you know it. You have seen your grandparents or your parents pass on. Maybe you have even had a near-miss, an accident or an illness that brought you closer than you'd like. But do you FULLY realize that one day you will not be here? That everyone you knew and loved will be gone? That maybe there is no continued existence that "you" will ever be aware of? That there will soon be a day that "you" will never again taste the joy and pain of life?

*Swami grabs a beer and flicks on the TV*

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Do you realize your mortality? [Re: Swami]
    #2281371 - 01/28/04 03:43 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

"Do You Realize?" by The Flaming Lips

Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face
Do You Realize - we're floating in space -
Do You Realize - that happiness makes you cry
Do You Realize - that everyone you know someday will die

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

Do You Realize - Oh - Oh - Oh
Do You Realize - that everyone you know
Someday will die -

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face
Do You Realize

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2281379 - 01/28/04 03:45 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, and it's a fascinating concept. When I try to envision no afterlife, where death means the end of experience, it's incredibly interesting to try to picture. I try to picture my non-existence, and it boggles my mind. Once on 5 grams of mushrooms, I felt non-existent, and that was really wierd.

I happen to believe in some sort of continued consciousness after death--not individual consciousness, but a more universal kind. But hey, if I'm wrong, so what? I won't be around to feel disappointed.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #2281428 - 01/28/04 04:08 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

hey, I'm only about a third of the way through life. I don't think about mortality. I realize it. but I rarely ever think about it. I have some.. other things on my mind.

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: Do you realize your mortality? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #2281480 - 01/28/04 04:36 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

i was in my world issues class today finishing a course on the history of american militarism
one atrocity after another
i just started to feel really tired
i walked home in a daze, mostly with my eyes closed
when i got home i lay face down on the floor in my room
it was like i stopped existing
wasnt that bad really

OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
    #2281497 - 01/28/04 04:44 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I'm aware of my mortality, but in my youthful abandon, I act as though I am invincible. I've taken a lot of dumb risks like skydiving, swimming a large river with a current during the winter, climbing watertowers drunk, climbing out of a moving car onto the roof and back into the other window on the highway, climbing railroad catwalks to watch trains go by underneath me, climbing construction catwalks that are under interstate bridges which are sometimes 60+ feet off of the ground, and laying spread eagle on a busy street to prove a point during a philosophical arguement.

As I get older, I realize a lot of those are bad things and don't do them anymore.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Do you realize your mortality? [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2281574 - 01/28/04 05:27 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

no, not entirely...but i will eventually.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
    #2281618 - 01/28/04 05:57 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

No. There is a psychological theory that says if human beings were constantly aware of their own mortality-its inevitability and unpredictability- in a deep, emotional (rather than intellectual) way, they would be paralyzed with terror. A lot of philosophers have talked about this too. I think it's true, you would be scared shitless.

Solution: If there's no you, there's nothing to be afraid of. Alcohol, TV works for this purpose too. But it is clearly temporary. A person has to really get the idea of no-self deeply.

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
Re: Do you realize your mortality? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2281812 - 01/28/04 07:22 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
When I try to envision no afterlife, where death means the end of experience, it's incredibly interesting to try to picture. I try to picture my non-existence, and it boggles my mind.

Is it really that different from deep sleep?

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2281838 - 01/28/04 07:37 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

well, I look at it this way:

some people treat their body like the family station wagon.  They baby it, care for it, and they don't do anything crazy with it because they want it to last a long time. 

I treat my body like a Nascar.  Its not built for longevity, its built for performance.  It may not last as long as the family station wagon, but its a fuckin blast while you have it.  Personally, I would rather live a short, interesting life than a long, boring one.

as far as the after life goes, well I believe in it, but I think its a fairly safe bet.  As silversoul already pointed out, there will be no one around to collect if I'm wrong.  But, not wanting to avoid the issue, I have come to terms with the possibility of nothingness, and i must say it doesnt bother me at all. 

But I seriously doubt it will come to that :wink:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Do you realize your mortality? [Re: manna_man]
    #2281841 - 01/28/04 07:41 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

manna_man said:
Quote:

silversoul7 said:
When I try to envision no afterlife, where death means the end of experience, it's incredibly interesting to try to picture. I try to picture my non-existence, and it boggles my mind.

Is it really that different from deep sleep?

I wish. In deep sleep I'm dreaming. In nonexistence, I would experience nothing.

--------------------

OfflineShroomerious
OO
Male

#2281856 - 01/28/04 07:48 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Of course not. Mortality is a human invented term which has no proof other than our, limited number of senses, something which I do not consider as proof.
When we die there is the possibility that everything will end, but there are also other possibilities like being in another dimension but in the same space or being born again or find out that your real parents were turned to aliens!Too much of a science fiction?Well that is the same for the word "mortality".

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2281868 - 01/28/04 07:54 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

yeah I've also realized that 10 years after I'm gone, no one will remember me either.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinemanna_man
High onlife.....andcrack

Loc: Vancouver
    #2281884 - 01/28/04 07:58 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

No, that's REM sleep you're thinking of. Deep sleep is the equivalent to nothingness.

--------------------
This post is protected under copyrite law.All above content is strictly the property of ?manna_man.Any infringement of copyright property is strictly prohibited.Any violators will be stretched, shot, and then vaporized into a state of anti-matter, where they will cease to exist.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Do you realize your mortality? [Re: manna_man]
    #2281943 - 01/28/04 08:15 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

manna_man said:
No, that's REM sleep you're thinking of. Deep sleep is the equivalent to nothingness.

Well I never have any memory of deep sleep, so I really don't know what that feels like either.

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2281946 - 01/28/04 08:16 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

it feels like warm apple pie :nut:

:lol:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2281969 - 01/28/04 08:23 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think about mortality, except when it raises its ugly head and looks at me.

I will have plenty of time to think about it while I'm 90 and sitting on my bed pan, trying to move my bowels, which will probably take all day at that point, so I'm not going to think about it now except to try to take care of myself now so that I'm not hobbling around like my ex-mother-in-law does at only 70 because she didn't take care of herself.

I'm going to be like Henry, my 70-year old client, who does aerobics every morning, takes African dancing twice a week at USC, and disco dances every Saturday night, all night long.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #2282587 - 01/29/04 12:37 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I used to fear death, now i only fear the pain of life. After bieng in a few serious car accidents and experiencing ego death on a mushroom trip, i keep death by my side as a companion. Like i'll be on the freeway and think: any moment now i could die, and i'm fine with that. I look forward to death. Its the great mystery, and how and why would it be any worse than life?
I liken myself to Don Juan, and Billy Jack

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2282603 - 01/29/04 12:42 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

IMO, there's no real "end", just an "end" to this life, as we know it.  And *sigh*, no, I have no proof.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2283100 - 01/29/04 06:52 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

> But do you FULLY realize that one day you will not be here?

Eh? I'm not 100% sure that I am really here now.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract