Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Kokserek]
    #2267283 -

It would be interesting to get the opinions of the citizens who live there.


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Frog]
    #2267454 -

that would be us. it's called "public space"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Kokserek]
    #2267503 -

Who's "us"? Where? Did you take a poll?


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Frog]
    #2267522 -

I mean you and me and the rest of "us"

That's the activist side of graffiti. We all spend so much time in space that by definition belongs to all of us, but none of us are allowed to use it to express ourselves in it. You're allowed to put billboards up.

I'm not advocating smashing or destroying things, but I consider blank grey concrete walls to be fuckin ugly disgusting loveless things and if I'm going to have to run them through my sensory perception system day after day, I think I earn the right to create art on it and I support others putting their art on it. Time to change our definition of vandalism. Altering a big huge blank wall remarkable only for its vast worthlessness into something different is not a crime. It's impossible to have something worse than a big blank grey piece of concrete. Next time you walk by a huge grey parkade imagine if every surface was covered in huge brightly painted letters faces and murals. It would be beautiful.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Kokserek]
    #2267531 -

No, "us" should be the decision of the people who live where graffiti is typically posted. Not "us" who like seeing it.


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Frog]
    #2267543 -

There should be laws against blank concrete walls of a certain size, and it should be up to anybody to cover them up. Vines or art. People don't live in public space, btw.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Kokserek]
    #2267555 -

So are we defining where it's okay to post graffiti? As I said on an earlier post, the sides of ditches are okay, but who decides on the rest?

What about business buildings? Those buildings have big walls. Should they be graffitied over? Houses? Apartment buildings?

Let's narrow this down as to where it should be okay. Not just "concrete walls of a certain size". Which walls? What size? Where? Who gets to decide?


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Frog]
    #2267568 -

Law would deside. I think there should be a limit to the size of a blank concrete wall. If a building is a huge concrete box, then a law would declare that the concrete had to be covered with something. The city could have a certain colour scheme, say 5 different colours that all the concrete had to be painted, or it could be left to graffiti artists to cover the walls as they see fit. Don't like it? Paint your own art over it. The walls would be ever-evolving. Or, maybe my favourite, the city might decide that concrete walls should be covered with greenery. Architects could design garden troughs in the side of buildings for planting vines in. Imagine a downtown where all the big ugly grey concrete boxes were covered in nice green vines. That would be kickass.

But the specifics don't really matter. The real change that needs to happen is a universal acknowledgment that concrete walls are worthless ugly pieces of crap and need to be covered up before all our minds implode by staring into grey vaccums all day.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Kokserek]
    #2267589 -

The "law" has already decided. Graffiti is not allowed in most areas. You, fortunately or unfortunately, are in a minority.


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Frog]
    #2267598 -

thanks for reminding me what the law is. I've suggested numerous times that our ideas of what is vandalism should change. change! That's what I'm talking about here. I'm very aware that it's illegal. You make me feel like I'm attached to you as your tail and you're a dog who won't stop chasing me. You're running this discourse in circles around the central idea while completely missing the point which is that concrete walls are really gross ugly things and they need to be covered up. Do you agree or disagree?

You don't happen to be in the "let's suck the life out of this city by covering it in grey shit" business do you?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Kokserek]
    #2267604 -

And the funny thing is I feel like you are attached to my tail!

Okay, given the existing laws, and obviously the majority rules, how are you going to get people to lighten up and let some of the walls be covered with "art"?

Nearby, in L.A., some of the tall buildings, very few, have pictures taking up the space on a whole side of a building.

I would imagine that it would be really difficult to get an owner of a building to allow graffiti, or "art", on the side of his building, because of the people to whom he rents office space.

I'm an attorney. I don't think I would want to be in a building that has graffiti on the side of it, unless it's "acceptable" graffiti.

Who decides what's "acceptable"? How do you get everyone to agree?

I'm going to bed. I'll look for your answers in the a.m. or later.


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Frog]
    #2267608 -

you paint over anything you don't like with more art, or you designate your building a green building which means that it has vines growing on it instead. Have a law that if it's a green building graffiti is illegal, not that there'd be any space for it because the whole thing would be crawling with some nice green plants.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: falcon]
    #2267790 -

to me graffiti has a very profound place in our society. in it i see not only the awesome designs but also the yearning of entire generations of urban youth, going all the way back to the 70s when graffiti became popular in NYC. on top of their yearning to do the freshest looking piece, gain the most attention, and to get over on the next guys? crew, i see their yearning for a new way of life beyond that which had brought them into where they were. beyond economic class, and beyond opression.

in many instances, the people who were first doing graf felt that their art was all that they had in this life to call their own (something which everyone needs in one way or another). this form of expression which hinged upon turning an otherwise drab and colorless concrete and steel jungle into a vibrant cityscape was the most important thing in their world. some artists used their medium to express political messages as graffiti quickly became a new form of communication for the underground youth.

(Old - From NYC subway)


(from the UK)


(Another old one)


(More NYC)



in my eyes graffiti and the subsequent laws against it are a symbol of the fact that government (as it stands) is a fundamental opressor of that whom it is set in place to govern.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Clean]
    #2268525 -

Now what Clean posted was really cool. I could look at stuff like that. But just random, messy gang slogans would not be cool.


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Frog]
    #2268612 -

Frog said:
Now what Clean posted was really cool. I could look at stuff like that. But just random, messy gang slogans would not be cool.



But that is taking personal preference and extending it onto others. I don't care for the colour.. well, let's say yellow, for the purpose of this discussion.... if I was in a position to do so, I wouldn't ban the colour yellow so that no one else could use it. Others might not like the same things as you.
Peace.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2268706 -

Too bad.  You resigned.  I'm taking over.  I am only allowing the graffiti I like or no graffiti at all.    :noway:


--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Frog]
    #2270659 -

Frog said:
Too bad.  You resigned.  I'm taking over.  I am only allowing the graffiti I like or no graffiti at all.    :noway:



Jesus is back. Check the avatar and title. :wink:
Your temporary reign of terror has come to an end. :grin:
Peace.


--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Art,philosophy, graffiti [Re: Clean]
    #2271104 -

in my eyes graffiti and the subsequent laws against it are a symbol of the fact that government (as it stands) is a fundamental opressor of that whom it is set in place to govern.

I think you are either claiming that property or destroying someone elses property when you are a graffittier or whatever you call the artist. It is an act of desperation and the better the artist the more desperate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Who is the Artist?
( 1 2 all )
raytrace 2,833 34 01/31/06 10:48 AM
by swampthing
* martial arts
( 1 2 3 all )
CleverName 5,906 43 05/26/04 12:46 PM
by Swami
* spirituality philosophy and art? ricyjo 618 3 11/09/04 01:09 AM
by ricyjo
* Bad Philosophy Is Inconsistent
( 1 2 3 4 all )
SkorpivoMusterion 8,564 72 02/16/06 07:20 PM
by SkorpivoMusterion
* Philosophy: Who needs it?
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 4,289 24 05/27/08 06:51 AM
by zouden
* Art 'n artists
( 1 2 3 all )
Mixomatosis 3,529 44 12/14/03 10:29 PM
by Positronius
* interview with O.G's and their philosophy kaiowas 1,617 17 05/06/04 08:23 AM
by kaiowas
* What is philosophy? / Have you studied academic philosophy? *DELETED* *DELETED*
( 1 2 all )
Lakefingers 5,298 35 11/15/05 11:01 AM
by CosmicJoke

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
2,728 topic views. 0 members, 8 guests and 125 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 15 queries.