Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Everybody go listen to the Mini-Bosses
    #2185204 - 12/17/03 12:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.minibosses.com

Oh yes. Sounds like Rush playing old school Nintendo theme songs!

I can only imagine the amount of effort it took to transcribe and arrange these pieces by ear. Who wrote all that stuff, anyway? The dude that wrote the double dragon theme was a genius, IMO.

My favorite mini-bosses rendition is Megaman 2

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Everybody go listen to the Mini-Bosses [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2185298 - 12/17/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

yeah man that's my fav track of theirs too.
They do an amazing job of orchestrating it, the guitars wailing on the crash man theme is fuckin dope.
thanks for reminding me of them! I'm gonna go play some Mega Man II and put them on

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Offlinec12h17n2o4p
Delusional
Loc: over here
    #2200408 - 12/25/03 12:24 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Try to find a band called the "NESkimos." They're really good too.

Offlinecyrus
c i c a t r i z

Loc: san diego, ca
Re: Everybody go listen to the Mini-Bosses [Re: c12h17n2o4p]
    #2200487 - 12/25/03 01:25 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

fuck yes! minibosses rawk mang

the kraid metroid theme is cool too but yeah megaman2 is teh shizzle

--------------------
// your halo slipping down
// to choke you now

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2200623 - 12/25/03 02:41 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Hey man.. you want to hear a fucking badass version of Contra.. look for Vomitron - Contra. It used to be on mp3 but that's gone.. I found it on soulseek and kazaa so you shouldn't have a problem.

Perfect rendition of the contra music, heavy metal style. 3 times faster then that version on minibosses, better production, better guitarwork, and like 9 minutes long. Fucking amazing. The minibosses version is so slow and tame it almost puts me to sleep. But yeah, minibosses is cool.. megaman 2 rules.

Here's what someone said about them:

Jesus H. Christ! Vomitron shreds, crunches, harmonizes and does all of the things that a band is supposed to do. Words cannot adequately describe Vomitron's music, but here's and idea of what's going on: Maiden + Yngwie + Mr. Bungle + Helloween + Sabbath + Korn + NES + Synths + Steve Vai gets you about 10% there. Vomitron has covered the Contra and Ghostbusters themes and has an extremely healthy body of originals. Scope it.

Ahh you are in luck.. I found it here - http://www.classicgaming.com/contra/media/media.htm
Scroll all the way down.. third from the bottom..but you have to subscribe to fileplanet to get it. Or just use a p2p. Whatever.. but GET IT!

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Everybody go listen to the Mini-Bosses [Re: Shroomism]
    #2200851 - 12/25/03 10:55 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I do believe that the aim of the minibosses is to duplicate the tempo/key/timbre of the original game scores as best they can.  So thats probably why their Contra is so slow.  I kind of think their renditions are a little high and tinny, but then I realized, so was the game music!  the NES wasn't capable of putting out a lot of smooth midrange- definitely not a Black Sabbath "wall of sound"

On that fake-ass "Super Mario Bros 3 beaten in 10 minutes" video the soundtrack has the mini-bosses' "Contra" sped up about 2x.  Actually sounds pretty cool. 

Thanx for the info, though.  I'll check out the bands you and everyone else mentioned.  The only other band I know of that does Nintendo covers is Mr. Bungle.  But they only do Zelda and Mario Bros (with horns!).   

Does anyone know who composed this music originally?  I'm  willing to bet that most of the early NES game soundtracks were authored by the same group of people.  Probably some real serious Japanese dudes with a lot of MIDI keyboards, getting paid 30-50k a year.  I can imagine that it must be extremely hard to make it in Japan as a musiscian, since they are such a logic and business oriented society.  Obviously these guys were very eloquent music theorists, and they put everything they had into their jobs.  I dont see this music as throw-away pop culture trash.  This came from Japan during a time when everything coming from Japan reflected a certain level of artisanship (like the Transformers!)

Anyay, most videogame music today is so cheezy.  Its either badly composed trash or some liscensed bullshit- Its like the musicians know they are working on a video game and not a studio albumn so they just half-ass it.  Either that or the game developer just buys some Rob Zombie tracks and tries to use that to sell the game :tongue:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2200873 - 12/25/03 11:14 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well I know that the creator of Zelda, Mario, and about 50 other epic NES games - Shigeru Miyamoto - also helped compose alot of the music for his games. But the main guy writing songs for nintendo was Koji Kondo. He did Legend of Zelda, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, A link to the past, Mario 64, Starfox 64, Ocarina of time and a bunch others. The guy's a fucking genius if you ask me. As far as all the other nintendo games with amazing music.. I'm pretty sure you're right about a small group of japanese guys slaving over MIDI keyboards, composing entrancing and catchy video game music. Top quality shit. I still remember all the melodies from NES and SNES games from years and years ago. That shit sticks with you. Can I remember HALF or even A QUARTER of the recent video game music I've played? Hell no.. Video Games today are all about flashy graphics and they usually don't give two fucks about the playability, enjoyment factor, the MUSIC, etc..

/rant

Long Live NES

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Everybody go listen to the Mini-Bosses [Re: Shroomism]
    #2201283 - 12/25/03 08:14 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

werd!

I'm drunk off Korbel that my family gave me right now!

Merry Winter Solstice My Nigga!

THE END

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale