Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: grow hacks [Re: bootster]
    #21768375 -

Here's some of mine:

1. Copper wire - Used for repelling slugs and snails around your seedlings. You can set it up in a perimeter and is re-usable and doesn't draw in the slugs and snails like bait does. I'm a sparky so I can get off-cuts free.

2. KFC potato & gravy containers - Great for raising cacti seedlings in. Watered in with liquid copper, no chance of mold and perfect humidity chamber.

3. McDonalds/BK/KFC cup - I use these for raising poppies. Poppies have big tap roots and I can keep these someplace warm to get maximum growth before transplanting the whole cup into the ground. Before I put into in the ground I slice slits all over it so the roots can permeate through to the ground.

4. Soak seeds in water - Soaking seeds in water, for me, helps with germination and you can separate the weak from the strong. Copper oxychloride can be used in the water to prevent mold.

5. Cardboard/newspaper - Soaking this then adding to your compost is a nice quick easy way to boost carbon to your compost heap and if kept dry can be an insulator for your worm farm.
And, it's free!

6. Old dry wall [U.S] - Plaster board - Is made up from Gypsum and is great for calcium & sulphur and used with lime, is the business for breaking up clay! Foraging in throw away bins at job sites can be a treasure trove.

7. Chilli peppers used for insecticide - Cheap and easy. Pulverize, add boiling water, strain out. Add a squirt of dish soap for breaking the water tension and you have a great insecticide.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: J.T]
    #21769837 -

Hmm I never knew about the copper wire.  Do you just make a perimeter with the wire?  How thick does it need to be?  I hate slugs...... 


It may be trivial, but maybe not also.  Just wanted to add that newspaper ink contains toxic ingredients, and cardboard glue may be toxic as well.  I personally stick to food safe carbon sources such as paper plates, paper towels, napkins, coffee filters and tea bags.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: BigHeart]
    #21772788 -

Yeah I just experiment with the sizing of the perimeter of copper wire. Make sure it's at least 1cm wide and give it a polish now and again with a metal scourer.

With the ink I think most are soy based inks now. With the cardboard, mushrooms grow on it okay and there isn't that much glue that would survive the compost pile I would imagine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: J.T] * 1
    #21773478 -

@ Jt. I never knew you could use chili peppers as insecticide. I knew of tobacco boiled but never chili peppers. Now I must decide between eating them and killing critters. :hmm:


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: ferrel_human]
    #21774057 -

ferrel_human said:
@ Jt. I never knew you could use chili peppers as insecticide. I knew of tobacco boiled but never chili peppers. Now I must decide between eating them and killing critters. :hmm:




I did this back in Florida,but you gotta be careful!

I made a super concentration using habanero peppers,and it burnt holes though my plants!

It totally killed some too.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #21774088 -

Well I got insecticidal soap that I have been touting as thw bomb. And rightly so. It works. But when life hands you peppers, then you hand insects death. :machinegun:


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: ferrel_human]
    #21774126 -

ferrel_human said:
Well I got insecticidal soap that I have been touting as thw bomb. And rightly so. It works. But when life hands you peppers, then you hand insects death. :machinegun:




I never had any luck with insecticidal soap.

The bugs just kept on munching!

However,this year,the bugs haven't touched nay of my plants whatsoever,even my tomatoes!

Just be careful if you choose pepper spray buddy:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #21774513 -

You got to constantly reapply. But they eventually do go away.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: ferrel_human]
    #21774892 -

ferrel_human said:
You got to constantly reapply. But they eventually do go away.



I see:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: kactus.brand.g]
    #21776447 -

ferrel_human said:
@ Jt. I never knew you could use chili peppers as insecticide. I knew of tobacco boiled but never chili peppers. Now I must decide between eating them and killing critters. :hmm:




Haha that is quite the dilemma amigo :laugh: I use Monzana chillis, Rocoto I think they are also called. One or 2 with a litre of water is fine. Also use a squirt of dish soap for the water tension.

Edited by J.T (06/07/15 10:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: J.T]
    #21867249 -

This isn't really a hack, but a useful tool none the less for indoor watering.
These 100ml syringes allow me to give consistent water amounts to each pot, and can get to tight spots with precision with no water spilling everywhere.
:coffee:



--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: When]
    #21867313 -

Well, i guess that precision and perfect amounts of water are something you want. I really like how you keep your lophs. Obviously, not having them outside, you do have to pay attention to nt spill water.
Non mentioning the fact that this way you can easily avoid to water cactus wool.
I'm really having a bad time with a mammillaria Oruga every time i water it. I may consider buyng one of those siringes.


--------------------



                                                        "The best things in life, come covered in spines."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: Lemnaminor]
    #21867336 -

You'll probably find one useful.
I forgot to mention it's great for watering tender seedlings too.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: When]
    #22002173 -



--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: ferrel_human]
    #22004963 -

^^^ I love doing things like that.

Something for nothing, almost. :thumbup:


--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #22004977 -

cowsRmeat said:
^^^ I love doing things like that.

Something for nothing, almost. :thumbup:



I recently rooted a pineapple. Those take forever though. But onions are about the easiest. Gotta try the lettuce and celery.


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: ferrel_human]
    #22005130 -

ferrel_human said:
cowsRmeat said:
^^^ I love doing things like that.

Something for nothing, almost. :thumbup:



I recently rooted a pineapple. Those take forever though.



Did you see my pineapple I started and is fruiting?


--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #22005140 -

cowsRmeat said:
ferrel_human said:
cowsRmeat said:
^^^ I love doing things like that.

Something for nothing, almost. :thumbup:



I recently rooted a pineapple. Those take forever though.



Did you see my pineapple I started and is fruiting?



Yeah I saw it. How long to get it to that?


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: ferrel_human]
    #22005197 -

From me rooting it to it to start fruiting I believe it was ~2 years. First summer it was rooted, the next summer it just grew, and I believe this is the third summer I have had it. It is taking forever for this fruit to ripen, though. I need to take another pic and update that thread.


--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'




Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: grow hacks [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #22005218 -

How big a pot? Does the adage the b9gger the pot the bigger the plant ring true?


--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Blackstrap Molasses Organic 4,005 8 08/21/07 02:35 AM
by ralphroks
* Ephedra substitute? Tao 3,106 3 02/10/04 03:30 PM
by John
* Heimia salicifolia, about to grow some. How good is it? Baby_Hitler 699 2 04/09/03 07:02 PM
by Baby_Hitler
* Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!!
( 1 2 3 all )
orizon 17,097 55 06/29/16 08:33 PM
by Burke Dennings
* Growing salvia hydroponicly
( 1 2 all )
Beatnik 7,944 24 07/19/01 09:36 PM
by dimitri211
* Which plants to grow?
( 1 2 all )
DailyPot 3,187 20 06/30/03 01:44 PM
by DailyPot
* Ethno's you all grow? bluelou 3,720 19 04/15/03 08:13 PM
by jojoba
* The secret to growing syrian rue from seed
( 1 2 all )
neuro 34,506 27 01/10/16 02:23 PM
by sauroman1

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, Mostly_Harmless, A.k.a
11,150 topic views. 0 members, 15 guests and 31 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.