Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!!
    #2106100 - 11/14/03 01:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, I've read alot about this Opium poppy flower and discovered its not really hard to grow. There is this old lady that lives next door by herself who is pretty wealthy from inheriting a bunch of money from her spouse or a trust fund...whatever. Well, all she does is plant flowers in her garden out back and there are all kinds of wild lookin things back there. She likes me alot, especially when I bring over a freshly baked cake and she leaves cookies at my front door a few times a month....YUM MUCHIES!!!! (she is just alone and likes the company). She loves for me to come in her garden and talk to her and she says I could just walk on over whenever I want. Well, from my recent discovery that Opium flowers look like a regular flower that would naturally be in the garden of an old lady, I got this idea. Do you think it would be wise to plant some Opium seedlings next door in one of the clearings? If a cop Id'ed an Opium bush growin in the backyard of a college kids house, he'd probally come over and convict me...but disguised in the garden of an old lady, he would not suspect anything even if he could point it out in her sea of exotic colorful flowers. And granny is'nt really playing with a full deck of cards so she would not be a worry either. What do you guys think? Go or no?
Thanks, Orizon

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekindadank
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!! [Re: orizon]
    #2106692 - 11/14/03 04:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well, the cultivation of opium poppy is not at all illegal until you slice the pods to collect the raw opium. Up until that point, even if a cop saw them and actually knew what they were, there would be absolutely nothing he could do. I am not really sure how you would be able to slice the pods and collect without the lady knowing, but that doesn't sound like too good of an idea anyways. I do not think it would be a big deal if you grew some poppies in her garden and then at the right time chopped off all the pods so that you can make tea or an edible form of opium from them.

Yeah, after rereading the post when I was sober, I think you would be taking advantage of her, which is not a good thing. You would feel pretty horrible if you got her into any kind of trouble, esp. since she is not all there. Just plant em in your yard or some random field(not someone elses yard) and you will be set.

Edited by kindadank (11/15/03 01:46 PM)

OfflineManureMaster
Pothead

Loc: NNY
Re: Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!! [Re: kindadank]
    #2106728 - 11/14/03 04:35 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

cultivating them inside is pretty cheap and you will be able to collect the opium in 3-4 months erowid has a indoor cultivation page you can look at that i read a few days ago and i thought its awesome

--------------------

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!! [Re: ManureMaster]
    #2107364 - 11/14/03 08:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yea but the inside cultivation of opium means you are definately growing for illegal intentions. I can grow em in my backyard but the last thing I need is the heat comin around here gettin a profile on me. Of course I could always say they were here when I moved in but there are 4 college kids that live and party at this residence and chances of that blowin over are slim to none. I could definately plant these things and chop of the pods when they are ready without her knowing. Like I said, this lady has a few screws lose and doesnt even care if I hang around in her garden. She likes young kids to come over. Last time I was over, she didn't even know she had more than 1 cat that lived in her house. She has 5!

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
    #2107478 - 11/14/03 09:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Taking advantage of older people isn't cool, even if your not doing her any harm, I don't think it's a good idea. Like said before your doing nothing illegal by growing poppy's until you slice the pods and the police would have no ground to harass you about anything, you just say "Oh I didn't even know what those were officer I'll kill them right away" and that will be the end of the conversation. If they arn't growing roadside the chances of a cop seeing them are very low and I bet alot of cops wouldn't know what it was even if they did see it as long as it wasn't growing in the middle of your yard all alone.

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!! [Re: John]
    #2107518 - 11/14/03 09:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I would'nt consider it if I was at all putting this lady in legal danger. If a cap got a warrant to search my house, Im sure he would'nt be happy at what he could find. I just think granny's garden could be a good tool to use.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#2107575 - 11/14/03 09:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sure he would be happy actually, unless your house didn't have anything illegal in it, then he wouldn't be happy. Nothing like taking some of those evil, life destroying drugs off the streets to a cop. Having poppies growing in your back yard isn't a reason to get a search warrant, a judge wouldn't grant a warrant because you had a few "ornamental plants" in your backyard poppies are pretty common anyway, hell you can buy seeds at walmart for california poppies, and I doubt police are trained in strain identification reguarding poppies.

--------------------

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A
    #2107815 - 11/14/03 11:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

old ladys make tea out of opium poppys. and cakes from the seeds. :smile:

kinda creepy doin i t in her yard. just grow them in your yard cops dont id poppys. the only problem woudl be a cop comming when u are scrapping latex of the pods.

just grow your own opium and smoke some and relax with the old lady.

peace

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2108107 - 11/15/03 01:26 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Oh great, let's exploit old people.

If that were my grandmother, you'd be in a world of pain.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!! [Re: Starter]
    #2108293 - 11/15/03 03:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I disagree with you Starter, or at least I did until I read this................."And granny is'nt really playing with a full deck of cards so she would not be a worry either. What do you guys think? Go or no?
Thanks, Orizon "

If the lady was not senile, and didnt mind the flowers , I see it as fine, but this sounds like exploitation.

--------------------

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

#2108298 - 11/15/03 03:36 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Oh comon guys, Its not so much that I am trying to point all the heat in her direction and placing any kind of legal trouble on her shoulders. It's her garden that I want to camoflauge my poppy in. If I had that garden in my backyard I'd be doing it on my property. It's not like Im saying, "Yea guys Im gonna start a meth lab in the basement of granny's house and then if the cops show up, all I gotta do is dip, then granny gets all the blame and I get out hahaha!" I dont see anything wrong in taking advantage of the innocence an old woman possesses over a few college kids. If a cop caught an 80 year old man, who claims US prices are too high for his budget, getting illegel prescriptions from across seas, the cops probalby would'nt press any charges. But if I were to say the same thing, there is no way that shit would fly with the authorities. Since Opium poppy is legal to grow, I would be doing her a favor by adding a beutiful flower to her garden.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2108403 - 11/15/03 04:45 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

orizon, I won't answer any more of your poppy questions now knowing your game plan. I only wish I knew what you were up to. If I had, I'd never have posted on poppy growing and I will now go delete my posts in it.

FYI IT IS ILLEGAL TO GROW PAPAVER SOMNIFERUM IN THE USA/CANADA.
http://www.poppiesinternational.com/growing_opium_poppies/growing_opium_poppies.html

Just remember, you could very well be setting up an innocent old woman for a dump. I won't be party to that. You're a round worm.

--------------------

OfflineKentuckyPWRLFTR
Lifter of heavyobjects
Male

Loc: Mt. Olympus
    #2108706 - 11/15/03 10:35 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Starter is 100% correct!

It it illegal to cultivate P.Somniferum L. in the United States.

As I have stated before, it's highly unlikely tha the police would ever notice it BUT putting another person in jeopardy for your own selfish desires is revolting. You want to put a senile elderly lady who has done nothing but be kind to you, in danger?

BTW: Looks like Starter has pulled his posts, thanks a lot man now all of that good info is gone.

--------------------
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree...

"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me."

OCD had rendered me completely insane and not believable.

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

Re: Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!! [Re: KentuckyPWRLFTR]
    #2108853 - 11/15/03 12:59 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If you want to use me as a scape goat for posting information you wish you had'nt then fine...whatever. I dont see any reason in doing such a thing becasue now everybody that enjoyed whatever thread you are talking about is gonna point there fingers at me. But I dont give a shit snatch another shroom off my rating OH nooo! Its not like you were directly helping me out with anything. The only thing you said on this thread was criticize me for exploiting (pretty harsh word) a nice old lady which I had no intention of doing. I mean holy shit!! using a garden full of exotic flowers I thought was a pretty good idea to camaflouge the flowers. A flowering bush just popping out of nowhere in my barand backyard would draw much more attention than it being disguised in a plethora of flowers next door. This was a question of "what you guys thought"...not something I was definately going to do. This is quoted from an above post, "Well, the cultivation of opium poppy is not at all illegal until you slice the pods to collect the raw opium. Up until that point, even if a cop saw them and actually knew what they were, there would be absolutely nothing he could do." Is this true? I dont know? Thats why I am asking GO or No? For now on anybody who asks me about shroom hunting Im gonna say..."oh oh man thanks to you, Im deleting all my shroom hunting tips now that I know your intentions of wanting to take advantage of (exploit) the property of a nice peaceful farmer. Im sure every who grows Opium poppy does it strictly for the intentions of it being a nice flowering plant and nothing to do with the Opium it produces...right? Bullshit. And kentucky....You use pretty crass terminology yourself, "putting another person in jeopardy for your own selfish desires is revolting. You want to put a senile elderly lady who has done nothing but be kind to you, in danger" I was not aware anybody was being put in danger...Im new to this and this is a question/answer thread...its not be boasting of this "explotiation" of a nice old lady . I will no longer consider disguising a few plants in her garden if this at all puts granny in danger (if this post is indead True) Many of the posts above are clashing. SOme are saying that it is illegal to grow poppy altogether, others are saying it's not illegal until one harvests the actual opium. Same goes for the Datura tree. Thanks for the criticizing remarks to an opium nube, just trying to get some advice.

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A
    #2109048 - 11/15/03 02:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

its to bad starter withdrew his thread. that was sweet and i was looking forward to reading it next spring. but for now i point my finger at ^^^^^^^^^.just bustin your chops but still :smile: just keep it real man.thats all i got to say.

peace

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2109068 - 11/15/03 02:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well that was one helluva guilty cry baby post if ever I've seen one.

Quote:

If you want to use me as a scape goat for posting information you wish you had'nt then fine...whatever. I dont see any reason in doing such a thing becasue now everybody that enjoyed whatever thread you are talking about is gonna point there fingers at me.

Project your guilt, does it make you feel better? You've befriended her and she unfortunately doesn't know you're a slime bag because she's old, vulnerable and lonely. That's really sad.

Quote:

But I dont give a shit snatch another shroom off my rating OH nooo! Its not like you were directly helping me out with anything. The only thing you said on this thread was criticize me for exploiting (pretty harsh word) a nice old lady which I had no intention of doing.

Ratings, I've spoken past that I'm not a fan of how they can be abused to create a PeeCee club, but it won't be me rating you. You can do that yourself in the path of life, for without honour you will be a bum. And yes, exploitation is what you're up to because you won't take the heat of your game. You're the same as a snitch in paradigm.

Quote:

I mean holy shit!! using a garden full of exotic flowers I thought was a pretty good idea to camaflouge the flowers. A flowering bush just popping out of nowhere in my barand backyard would draw much more attention than it being disguised in a plethora of flowers next door.

Then grow your own plethora and don't be so indolent as to draw potential legal drama on an old dotty woman who just so loves her garden for colour. Imagine how her world would implode with cops stomping all over her loved lobelia, aquilegia, wind anemone ect as they pull out an illegal opium poppy crop. What a friend you are NOT.

So get out in your own backyard or find your own place and make your own garden you sloth. She's an old woman, she has. Or are you too much a wimp and drug fucked to find the strength to till some soil? I can't get over it, a young bloke scared of what an old woman isn't -- a bit of yard work...sheesh.

Quote:

This was a question of "what you guys thought"...not something I was definately going to do.

No!
It's something you've got in your head and what you wanted to know is how well with they stealth? Will she notice? How hard will it be to trick her into not thinking what they are? Will she accidentally weed them thinking they're broad leaf flat weeds in her garden and if so, what can I do? How will I water them on the sly if it's dry and she doesn't? What pests and diseases do they get? If I posted pictures of what's in her garden, could you tell me what's best to plant them next to -- to take advantage of companion planting and/or evade excessive root competition?

I'm sure you've got many questions. I won't answer them. 

Quote:

This is quoted from an above post, "Well, the cultivation of opium poppy is not at all illegal until you slice the pods to collect the raw opium. Up until that point, even if a cop saw them and actually knew what they were, there would be absolutely nothing he could do." Is this true? I dont know? Thats why I am asking GO or No?

The epitome of your laziness, not only won't you grow your own plethora, you won't even do a simple search in google.com on the laws of your land.

Well I have news fer ya, it's 100% illegal to grow in the USA!! As soon as the seeds are sowed the illegal act of illicit cultivation is on.

Quote:

For now on anybody who asks me about shroom hunting Im gonna say..."oh oh man thanks to you, Im deleting all my shroom hunting tips now that I know your intentions of wanting to take advantage of (exploit) the property of a nice peaceful farmer.

There's a world of difference between what grows naturally by near ubiquitous spores to that which is cultured illegally by human hand on the sly of another person's property. Only a scumbag would fail to see it. Yet that's the sort of sociopath mindset you're entertaining. One based on being a selfish little bastard who will screw over an old woman who's getting senile and throw her to the wolves of the law. That's really lame. It's indefensible.

Quote:

Im sure every who grows Opium poppy does it strictly for the intentions of it being a nice flowering plant and nothing to do with the Opium it produces...right? Bullshit.

Your ignorance is astounding. People grow all manner of things for colour and foliage form alone, with no desire to tap their alkaloid properties. But the law is the law and when you do the crime you have to take the consequences of it -- not "thirty pieces of silver" betray others. Be a man and steward your own show, not hide behind the skirt of an old woman. A white feather for you.

Quote:

And kentucky....You use pretty crass terminology yourself, "putting another person in jeopardy for your own selfish desires is revolting. You want to put a senile elderly lady who has done nothing but be kind to you, in danger" I was not aware anybody was being put in danger...Im new to this and this is a question/answer thread...its not be boasting of this "explotiation" of a nice old lady . I will no longer consider disguising a few plants in her garden if this at all puts granny in danger (if this post is indead True) Many of the posts above are clashing. SOme are saying that it is illegal to grow poppy altogether, others are saying it's not illegal until one harvests the actual opium. Same goes for the Datura tree. Thanks for the criticizing remarks to an opium nube, just trying to get some advice.

That said, I'll leave enough of you for Kentucky to give you a slapping. :smirk: 

--------------------

OfflineKentuckyPWRLFTR
Lifter of heavyobjects
Male

Loc: Mt. Olympus
Re: Good idea for growing some Opium Poppy!! [Re: KentuckyPWRLFTR]
    #2109281 - 11/15/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well, it appears to me he is prevaricating, id est, lying.

"I was not aware anybody was being put in danger...Im new to this and this is a question/answer thread..."

Yet prior to that he wrote:

"Well, from my recent discovery that Opium flowers look like a regular flower that would naturally be in the garden of an old lady, I got this idea. Do you think it would be wise to plant some Opium seedlings next door in one of the clearings? If a cop Id'ed an Opium bush growin in the backyard of a college kids house, he'd probally come over and convict me...but disguised in the garden of an old lady, he would not suspect anything even if he could point it out in her sea of exotic colorful flowers. And granny is'nt really playing with a full deck of cards so she would not be a worry either. What do you guys think? Go or no?"

Now why would anyone even contemplate planting for stealth on another person's property (elderly neighbor)if there was no fear of trouble, especially in light of this: "If a cop Id'ed an Opium bush growin in the backyard of a college kids house, he'd probally come over and convict me...but disguised in the garden of an old lady, he would not suspect anything even if he could point it out in her sea of exotic colorful flowers." Why would one state that the cop would come over and convict him, if he had no idea as to whether or not he was doing anything wrong. LOL!

"Crass" eh? I'm unrefined? A Troglodyte calls me that, get real kid!

Do not abuse her trust, use Google, Poppies.org, or my Poppy site for info and put your own ass in jeopardy when you grow...I'm finished with this

--------------------
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree...

"The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me."

OCD had rendered me completely insane and not believable.

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

#2109680 - 11/15/03 07:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

About poppies being illegal, I trust you on the matter but what confused me to thinking they were legal if used for ornaments came from here...

http://www.erowid.org/plants/poppy/poppy_law.shtml

Quote:

Law enforcement in the US is somewhat schizophrenic about these plants, although there are continual attempts to try to stop them from being sold or grown. If poppies are grown as sources for opiates, there is no question that it violates the CSA. If poppies are purely grown for ornamental purposes, their legal position is somewhat less clear cut, since they are so widely grown and available.

--------------------

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

#2109767 - 11/15/03 08:24 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You guys seem to think that the fact my nice old lady friend next door is senile had much to do with my harvesting consideration. It is the GARDEN that I saw the potential in…If I am guilty for wasting your time of answering a question that is available on google, then so are 90% of the people who ask questions here at the shroomery. “Guilty cry post”!!! ha. I have no desire to raise my reputation here at the shroomery…I am here strictly for the fact of exchanging knowledge. I know what kind of character I am and your insulting remarks such as slime bag and bum do not at all alter my self esteem. If you are saying I am guilty from being unaware of every last detail of my country’s law’s then Ok I can agree with that. Does that make you feel better? Now that I am aware that it is totally illegal to plant Opium Poppy, I will not engage in harvesting a few plants next door nor here. (Not a guilt confession). Simply the decision formulated from new found knowledge.
“So get out in your own backyard or find your own place and make your own garden you sloth. She's an old woman, she has. Or are you too much a wimp and drug fucked to find the strength to till some soil? I can't get over it, a young bloke scared of what an old woman isn't -- a bit of yard work...sheesh.”

I find this remark the most primitive and ludicrous of all. As if a student workig as a tech paying his way through college is actually gonna start an exotic garden simply to obscure a few newly founded Illegal plants. I guess I should start a cow farm in my front yard as well so I can just yield shrooms easily hear at my house. Despite your already predisposed opinion of my character, I’m pretty much assured you will not believe the following comment, but I’m gonna say It anyways. If I saw that old lady getting heat or dragged away in chains for flowers being Identified in her garden as illegal, my guilty consciousness would result in me turning myself in and taking the blame for the misunderstanding.

“It's something you've got in your head and what you wanted to know is how well with they stealth? Will she notice? How hard will it be to trick her into not thinking what they are? Will she accidentally weed them thinking they're broad leaf flat weeds in her garden and if so, what can I do? How will I water them on the sly if it's dry and she doesn't? What pests and diseases do they get? If I posted pictures of what's in her garden, could you tell me what's best to plant them next to -- to take advantage of companion planting and/or evade excessive root competition?”

I already know they will stealth well enough in her garden as opposed to my vacant backyard. And all that other stuff didn’t even cross my mind because as I said before, I am NEW to this. You see that Huge question mark besides the title of the thread, that should tell you that this was is a brainstorm issue, not an integrity issue.

“There's a world of difference between what grows naturally by near ubiquitous spores to that which is cultured illegally by human hand on the sly of another person's property. Only a scumbag would fail to see it. Yet that's the sort of sociopath mindset you're entertaining. One based on being a selfish little bastard who will screw over an old woman who's getting senile and throw her to the wolves of the law. That's really lame. It's indefensible.”

Shrooms, once harvested, are considered being cultured illegally in 49 of the 50 states. The same goes for alkaloid containing flowers and weeds. Instead of spending you time bashing me with crude remarks, why couldn’t you simply be informative and enlighten me that my plan could result in the wrongful accusation of the innocent. I’m did acquire some knowledge from your reply but unfortunately I had to pick them out from the overabundance of slander. I’m sure when I get older, I will grow flowers simply for there beauty but this is the shroomery and people here usually don’t grow magic mushrooms or psychedelic cacti-opium simply because they are meeting to the eye. And Kentucky, why would I want an answer to a question that is a complete fabrication? That is a complete waste of time…at no point was I lying on this post. As I said before, I was under the impression (from other posts) that Opium Poppy was not illegal to grow….only illegal to harvest it’s opiate compounds. I thought if a cop Identified a couple Opium flowers in the backyard of teenagers, it would only result in suspicion being aroused at this household (no legal action)….as opposed to a flower which would nearly be impossible to pinpoint in an acre garden sprouting with exotic and glamorous flora. The result in a conviction was only mentioned because cops around here are bored and do whatever the hell they want. Grounds for getting a search warrant could be a little as “suspicious activity”. As opposed to a random flower (impossible to isolate) in the garden of an guiltless nice lady. Your verdicts proposing a “slime bag”, corrupt and crooked conspiracy is totally the opposite of my intentions. If it raises the self confidence of you Starter and your sidekick Kentucky who want to reword the notion of an amateur to vilify my morals…then fine have your little hay day.

Offlineorizon
shroomin bliss

#2109775 - 11/15/03 08:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

What the hell are those numbers?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden