Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheVirginMary
Stranger

HPPD
    #2175234 - 12/13/03 05:13 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

What exactly is HPPD? i heard it is a long term pyschological effect. but what exactly does it do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: HPPD [Re: TheVirginMary]
    #2175418 - 12/13/03 07:45 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Its a bunch of loose science like MOST of psych!!

Personally I dont belive it, and if someone has it I assme they did STP which IS a drug that can cause some problems, bt I have done my fair share of psychedelics and I have ZERO problems, while I see that people who abuse speed are seeing shit all the time, go figure!

--------------------

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Loc: Canada West
Re: HPPD [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2175436 - 12/13/03 08:00 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I was listening to NPR once where this guy who claimed he had HPPD from taking LSD and E everyweekend for years. He explained his perma trip and, if the story wasnt bunk, has scared into me moderation.

--------------------

We have to answer our own prayers

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #2176148 - 12/14/03 03:45 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: HPPD [Re: stefan]
    #2177260 - 12/14/03 03:57 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I have HPPD.. basically visuals that never go away.. I've had it for years.. They are there with my eyes open or closed.

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: HPPD [Re: pillsbury420]
    #2177288 - 12/14/03 04:06 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

If I try hard enough I can see visual distortions, too, anytime I want(i.e. breathing walls, color distortions, fractals). It's not as intense as tripping so maybe that's the difference.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: HPPD [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2177349 - 12/14/03 04:56 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Well.. it's not that i see visual distortions anytime i try.. i see them all the time. As a matter of fact, i can't try hard to not see them. They are there all the time. Imagine everything having color pixilation to it.. floaters kinda like someone flashed a camera in your face.. and tracers.. You learn to live with it though i suppose.. but it's been hell for my anxiety.

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: HPPD *DELETED* [Re: pillsbury420]
    #2177520 - 12/14/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: HPPD [Re: poke smot!]
    #2177542 - 12/14/03 06:30 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

yea i basically get visuals all the time without trying

i'll look up at the stars and they move around in teh sky, or straight edges start to bend and warp and shit
patterns on things move around

its really weird
i blame acid  :grin:

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: HPPD [Re: Help on the Way]
    #2177916 - 12/14/03 09:49 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Most of the cases of HPPD I hear of are from LSD. Is it possible that mescaline and psilocybin, being significantly less active chemicals, are less likely to cause long term visual distortions?

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Re: HPPD [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2178556 - 12/15/03 01:59 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
Is it possible

:smile: :smile: :smile: :laugh:  :evil:

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #2178584 - 12/15/03 02:09 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I've done LSD my fair share of times, coming along a few ten strips here and there. DXM has been my favorite. Mainly because of availability. I've done shrooms, street and homegrown, as well as LSA (from HBWR) and salvia.

Sometimes, when I get stoned, I'll have a quick visual. It only happens when I'm *really* stoned. I was driving to pickup another blunt, and the stop sign rained down in red and white droplets. It formed a puddle of red and white goo, then evaporated in a red and white mist back into the stop sign.

Sometimes when I do painkillers and smoke, I get the "Whoa, am I tripping?" feeling. Three of my friends can relate to this..

Flashback, HPPD, or just being more in tune with the realm of psychedelics? What do you guys think?

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Re: HPPD [Re: Adden]
    #2178674 - 12/15/03 02:42 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i think its being in tune with the realm of physch's. its like a magic eye, you learn to recognize.

my sister was told that LSD never gets metabolized in the body, only stored in fat. now she swears that when she works out she gets acid flashbacks. Then i told her that LSD actually gets completely metabolized about 15 minutes after dosing, and that those chems get metabolized, and so on. it's the chemicals you get after acid gets broken down that trip you. well, she didn't know what to say about her "flashbacks," only that she gets them.

--------------------

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: HPPD [Re: recalcitrant]
    #2178686 - 12/15/03 02:48 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

There's this pathological liar that my best bud seems to be latched onto. A real hardcore douche. If you saw/knew him, you'd realize why.

We were talking about psychedelics the other day, and he said how when he cracked his neck he'd trip for 10-15 minutes. Mind you, he's done acid once. He "demonstrated" and started explaining what he saw.

I explained how this cannot be possible at all. He told me I was a liar, I spend too much time reading on the shroomery and drug sites, and I must've gotten information wrong.

Yeah, I'm the idiot  :shake:

Offlinerecalcitrant
My Own God

Re: HPPD [Re: Adden]
    #2178746 - 12/15/03 03:08 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

i knew this kid who said his dad drove a tank to work.

--------------------

OfflineParpas
grower

Loc: sweden
Re: HPPD [Re: recalcitrant]
    #2178779 - 12/15/03 03:22 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.hppdonline.com/
______
A clinical attempt at listing the symptoms

In 1983, Dr. Henry Abraham examined 16 different visual symptoms in an HPPD characterization study and this list of symptoms is still the most comprehensive in print. The following descriptions are based partly on Dr. Abraham's descriptions and also on the personal experience of patients with HPPD. People with HPPD can have any combination of these symptoms. The severity of symptoms is also very diverse. To be considered as a possible "candidate" for HPPD you must have a history of at least one exposure to a hallucinogen. Note that other disorders may have similar symptomology and that having some of these symptoms may indicate other conditions (e.g., anatomical lesions and infections of the brain, visual epilepsies) or another mental disorder (e.g., delirium, dementia, Schizophrenia) or hypnopompic hallucinations. It is also important to note that HPPD is a visual disorder. HPPD does not include symptoms of depression, depesonalization, or panic attacks. These are seperate disorders and will be treated on this web site in a different location. However, these comorbid symptoms often occur with HPPD.

Acquired Color Confusion: Sometimes it is difficult for a person with HPPD to tell the difference between two colors and they may actually confuse one color with another. An HPPDer may look at a black sweater and experience the sweater turning a deep purple. It may be difficult to tell the difference between a navy blue sock and a dark brown sock. Although people with normal perception may have similar difficulty, the person with HPPD can actually watch a color change before their eyes. The author of this site has seen black print in a book turn bright green as though the book were printed in neon green print.

Difficulty Reading: People with HPPD may find it difficult to read for multiple reasons. Some complain of a loss of concentration. Others describe the text swaying back and forth and positive and negative afterimages (see the descriptions below) of the text set onto the background of the page. "Several complained that this last phenomenon would create a bichromatic alphabet soup of images that made study difficult." (Abraham 1993)

Flashes of Color: Suddenly, without any apparent reason, a person can see a flash of bright light. This flash can occur as a metallic "star" that flashes in one's vision or may occur as sheets of light that appear then quickly disappear.

Geometric Pseudohallucinations: HPPDers may see geometric figures appear in their vision when the eye is either open or closed. A person with HPPD realizes this is not a real figure, for this reason the hallucination is more accurately described as a pseudohallucination. Some people describe sparkles, visual fireworks, colored or transparent doughnut shaped images, blobs of jelly like transparent balls, or complex shapes and figures.

Halos Around Objects: Some people with HPPD experience a halo that would surround objects and people. This halo can extend for a few inches from the object.

Illusions of Movement: Some people with HPPD report that stable objects would appear to move side to side or wave up and down. Some will see objects that appear to slide across the floor or they would feel that the floor is floating downwards. Some may experience the walls waving or feeling that their keys on their computer keyboard sway back and forth. This symptom was noted by Dr. Abraham as being quite common and reports that these symptoms came to be known as PIPs, an acronym for "perceptions in the periphery." (Abraham 1983)

Imagistic Phosphenes: "These are phosphenes of unbidden, formed images (not geometric patterns) generated on closing an eye [and of pressing on it] with a finger. Two subjects within their first week of an LSD exposure were able to see images when the researcher exerted gentle digital pressure on the eyes. One saw the face of God, and the second a Mickey Mouse cartoon." (Abraham 1983)

Intensified Colors: HPPDers report that looking at a colored object can make the object suddenly change in brightness. This brightness could also go away as quickly as it came about.

Macropsia: This describes the condition when an object is perceived as being abnormally large. Objects will appear huge for a few moments and then suddenly appear at their normal size.

Micropsia: The opposite of macropsia. This is the perception of objects smaller than they really are. Someone may look at their arm and think that it is really small and note that it seems to be distant.

Negative Afterimages: Some people with HPPD will look at an object and when they look away from the object they will see a complementary "shadow" of that object. An HPPDer may be looking at a green garden hose and then look away to notice an afterimage of that hose in red in their vision. People without HPPD may also see these images if they stare at an object for awhile. You may have tried this activity while reading through a book of illusions and possibly stared at a the flag of the United States in which the colors were presented as green and yellow and when you looked away after staring at that image you saw an afterimage of it in their correct blue and red colors. For an HPPDer, looking at an object for a brief moment can produce a powerful and long lasting afterimage.

Positive Afterimages: A person with HPPD may look at a blue object and then upon looking away from that object, see a blue shadow. An imprint of the object has been placed on their vision. Staring at text in a book and then looking up at the wall to notice blurry lines of that text placed on the wall is another common example.

Pareidolias: This is when an HPPDer sees an image within an image. It is similar to when you stare up at the clouds to see faces or objects in the cloud. An HPPDer however, might be walking on a wood floor and see dozens of faces in the swirls of the wood grain. These images are quite concrete to the HPPDer. The person with HPPD does realize these images are false.

Static Vision: Some people with HPPD experience what appears like static all over their vision. This symptom is really noticeable at night when an HPPDer looks around and it may actually appear as if there were a television in the room projecting static all over the room.

Floaters: Some people with HPPD become acutely aware of the material that floats on the surface of the eye. These floaters may look like bacteria and appear to be jelly-like in form. They are often seen when looking up at a blue sky.
________

hppd is definetly real, allthoe most ppl suffering from HPPD allso suffers from post traumatic stress, sence thay often belive thair HPPD is a direct result of a high-doze trip in resent memory.

--------------------
Its all in your mind

Offlinezer0vega
stealing happyhours

Loc: In a van down by the rive...
Re: HPPD [Re: Parpas]
    #2179482 - 12/15/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

is there a general tendency for HPPD to go away after a while?

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: HPPD [Re: zer0vega]
    #2180697 - 12/15/03 07:42 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

floaters are actually a diagnosable alteration in the vitreous chemicals of the eye and probably have very little to do with the use of psychoactive agents - more likely a dietry insufficiency of some sort.

--------------------

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: HPPD [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #2180789 - 12/15/03 08:11 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I've had HPPD for as long a I can remember.. It's very real.. You get used to after a while.. It definatly makes you look at thing's differently then most people would..

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
Re: HPPD [Re: Bhairabas]
    #2181564 - 12/16/03 01:57 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I have HPPD too I dont even notice the visuals any more except when itsvery bright outdoors and when i walk indoors and its all dark i cant see anythin except multi colored visuals thats about the only time when i have trouble woth HPPD

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale