Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineZEPH

Loc: Up
Re: Post Your New Tools Of The Trade. [Re: hamloaf]
    #21400609 - 03/13/15 01:39 AM (9 years, 18 days ago)

got 50 plates a couple days ago

and this from big lots for my grains best strainer ever  looks great in my bathroom lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Post Your New Tools Of The Trade. [Re: ZEPH]
    #21435415 - 03/20/15 11:18 AM (9 years, 10 days ago)

Cool.

300 - 1 inch myco dowels for 9$.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #21436394 - 03/20/15 04:21 PM (9 years, 10 days ago)

strainers! wire mesh not the holes.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Invisibleinsanemike

Re: Post Your New Tools Of The Trade. [Re: eatyualive]
    #21437373 - 03/20/15 08:24 PM (9 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
strainers! wire mesh not the holes.

I have the same two strainers :rockon::sunspots:

InvisiblecArcace-x
YeAh!!
 User Gallery

Loc: The Simulator
Re: Post Your New Tools Of The Trade. [Re: insanemike]
    #21437569 - 03/20/15 09:08 PM (9 years, 10 days ago)

we have the same two strainer :lol:

--------------------

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Post Your New Tools Of The Trade. [Re: cArcace-x]
    #21452185 - 03/24/15 04:54 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

100 high quality 70mm (regular mouth) plastic, PP5 lids for media vessel closure making, and 10 - 125mm SFD's rated at filtering particulates down to .3 microns at a 99.97% efficiency. 

Finally get to revamp and scale up the media vessel closure quality.  Gonna see how many nickle sized disks I can get out of these bad boys.

--------------------

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21452282 - 03/24/15 05:21 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

Hey how do you set up your lids like that, what size hole do you like?

You cut the filters to nickle size and attach to the top or the underside of the lid, and what sort of adheasive, silicone? And how long do they hold up?

I use the SFDs over the lid and under the band, but its too expensive I mostly double layer white craft felt.

Since Im using bags now I can afford better lids for my grain masters, might as well upgrade to proper lids too. The type of felt I have works well though better than poly :shrug:

Thanks!

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Post Your New Tools Of The Trade. [Re: mushpunx]
    #21453264 - 03/24/15 09:37 PM (9 years, 6 days ago)

oh i forgot, ob horse gloves for sab work! arm length.

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

OfflineStraya
Wot?!

Loc: Flag
Re: Post Your New Tools Of The Trade. [Re: eatyualive]
    #21455421 - 03/25/15 12:08 PM (9 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
oh i forgot, ob horse gloves for sab work! arm length.

That is the best fucking idea i've ever seen! You sir are a legend. Have 5 mushrooms

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21459240 - 03/26/15 06:42 AM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:

You cut the filters to nickle size and attach to the top or the underside of the lid, and what sort of adheasive, silicone? And how long do they hold up?

I use the SFDs over the lid and under the band, but its too expensive I mostly double layer white craft felt.

Since Im using bags now I can afford better lids for my grain masters, might as well upgrade to proper lids too. The type of felt I have works well though better than poly :shrug:

Thanks!

2 different ways.  One way for LC's, and another for grain jars.  LC lids are currently set up with the filtration device placed off to one side of the media vessel closure.  The injection port to the opposite side. 

The hole for the injection port was generated using a 1/2 inch paddle bit.  Those half inch, large, red ports are available for a 85 cents a piece from Shroom Supply.
http://www.shroomsupply.com/lab-supplies/super-heavy-duty-injection-ports

The hole for the Whatman filters are drilled using 5/16th inch drill bit.  Whatman filters are adhered to the pre-sanded closure device with blue RTV silicone.  I use blue because blue is the color cubensis turn after you pick them sometimes.  The Whatman filters I use are sourced at the link provided below for $2.50 each.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331437830002?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Usually use a triple layer of parafilm wrapped around where the threads of the vessel meet the vessel closure, but will be making the switch to rubber gaskets just as soon as they arrive to the PO box. 

For grain jars, I drill 3 5/64th inch hole is a diamond cluster and place one disk cut down to the size of a nickel, adhering the disk to the top of the pre-sanded vessel closure over to the side. 

The reason the filters are placed to the side is just in case, for whatever reason, the lids need to be fitted with a self healing injection port. 

As far as how long these lids last, the answer is a lifetime.  Got a few lids like this gifted to me 5 years ago by user myco.alchemist.  They are still in use today.  After a thousand runs through the sterilizer, no warping. 

Heavy duty injenction ports are used again in LC lid modifications.  The reason injection ports for LC's are used again is due to the addition of the LC gun into the liquid culturing tool arsenal.  The LC gun has a long aspiration needle that goes into an injection port and down into the media.  The aspiration needle that came with the gun is long enough to reach the bottom of a quart jar.  No tilt LC lid style.  The LC gun makes it possible to go from using wide mouth media vessels to regular mouth too, because, when using the LC gun, LC's won't have to be opened to aspire the culture with a syringe.  The extra opening space isn't needed either, because you're not reaching down into the media with a needle to get culture.  The repeated opening and closing of the LC media vessel is a vector for contams.  The wider the opening to a media vessel, the more of an opening contams have to enter our sterile mediums, as well.  Regular mouth jars over wide mouth jars for media vessel utilization in this hobby when ever possible, Fuck The World!

--------------------

Offlinecamplo
Freedom!

#21459252 - 03/26/15 06:48 AM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:

Thanks!

You guys and your easy felt. I picked up some of that stuff, I might be able to find use of it, I need to create a lid but even then I plan on layering tyvek on top of it.
With my grain I use a nickle sized piece of tyvek in a bandaid fashion using medical tape. No problems there, but more importantly, tyvek is free! On my LC jars I'm using no lid, just the band, and a double layer disc of tyvek. No problems there either.

--------------------
:three:

Offlinemushpunx
Fungus Punk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Post Your New Tools Of The Trade. [Re: camplo]
    #21459942 - 03/26/15 09:59 AM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Thanks Ham awesome post!!

Around here you can but 8 packs of the Ball plastic mason jar lids in packs of 8 for a couple bucks, I dont know if they are autoclaveable though

--------------------

Amateur Mycologists United
AMU Q&A

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Executing TEKs... Flag
    #21460054 - 03/26/15 10:29 AM (9 years, 4 days ago)

They PC just fine IME, punx!  And no rust! :stoner:

--------------------

jcbowling1985 said:
"Additionally I did one Armageddon jar with all of the types together."

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21460211 - 03/26/15 11:03 AM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Thanks Ham awesome post!!

Around here you can but 8 packs of the Ball plastic mason jar lids in packs of 8 for a couple bucks, I dont know if they are autoclaveable though

Thanks.

Have about 150 of those lids along with another 30 or so sitting in the package they came in, unscathed.  There is also 100+ quart jars in rotation in the regularly scheduled research cycle.  Those lids suck, in my opinion, and very vast experience with them.  They are autoclaveable, but they get all warped, and become a huge PITA to remove during G2G, or LC aspirations.  But they are ok for a while. 

These new, high-quality lids only cost 40 cents a piece when bought in bulk (100 lids - $40.00), and are going to last a lifetime without warping, or rusting, so all the old lids are being replaced with these new lids.  Pretty interested to see how many nickle-sized filter disks can be pulled from one of the 125mm SFD's.

--------------------

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

#21460245 - 03/26/15 11:11 AM (9 years, 4 days ago)

What PSI are you running at?  I've never had any warp in many cycles @ 15 PSI.

They did warp a little when I tried to melt the SFDs onto them though, like Dilated does.  But they still work even warped, I rarely get contams.

That is a good deal on 100 lids though, loaf, I'm a little jelly.  :lol:

Edited by TheChief (03/26/15 11:16 AM)

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Post Your New Tools Of The Trade. [Re: TheChief]
    #21460443 - 03/26/15 12:04 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Run jars at 17-20psi's for an hour and a half, Chief.  They work warped, yes, but instead of having something just work "ok", it's preferred that research runs, and develops as smooth, and as optimally as humanly possible.  The main grievance over the warping of those "ball" brand lids is that the convenience-of-removal-from-their-media-vessels-during-inoculations,-and-transfers-factor is greatly reduced.  Bashed the hands against the HEPA of the flowhood a thousand times as a result, as well.  Have a 2 by 4 foot HEPA that is scheduled to be turned into a flowhood as soon as larger real-estate is had that can handle the amp load of the blower required to operate the HEPA.  Can't be having the hands run into, and ruin the quality of this HEPA, because eventually, would like to own and operate 2 - 2 by 4 foot HEPA flowhoods ran side-by-side for an 8 foot wide by 2 foot high sterile work station.

--------------------

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

#21460476 - 03/26/15 12:14 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

:shrug: 

To be honest, I've only had maybe 2 jars contam when I first started (one of them was probably alright but I tossed it anyway); I think they were ones with my metal lids...  I've done a couple hundred at least since with the plastic warped or not and metal with 100% success.

The Ball lids don't warp @ 15 PSI for 120 MIN IME.

Anywho, thought I'd share one of my new tools I picked up a week ago; from a classifieds ad for 150 bucks.

I guess you could call this a vintage AA930, I think it is at least 20 years old.  Nice score still, in great shape, the guy I bought it from said he only used the thing a few times and it had been in storage for 10 years since.  Came with the original box and all.  :lol:

Got an AA915 as well.  This one is close to brand new, 100 bucks on the same classifieds site.  This 915 is an actual sterilizer, not the pressure canner model.  It came with a special rack insert too.

Had a really old 925 at one point too; I got for 100 bucks, used it for a while but gave it to a very close friend so he could start his own mycology journey. :flowerchild:

Again, classifieds ad.  :lol:

Edited by TheChief (03/26/15 03:37 PM)

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #21460687 - 03/26/15 01:16 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

:nowaydude:

Would have snatched ALL of those up if I ran across those deals.  You might consider buying a lottery ticket, my man.  I know it's hard for you all Canoodians to score good deals on mycosupplies due to shipping and shit.  Those are all bad-ass deals too.  Just came in my pants a lil bit.  It's super bad-ass that you kicked your old AA down to your homie also.  That's what friends are for, and I would have done plus, it must be real nice to begin this hobby on an AA. 

Now I am jelly  :tongue2:

--------------------

InvisibleTheChief
Cube Collector
Male User Gallery

#21460695 - 03/26/15 01:19 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Man, I lose every time with lottery, I don't get it.  :lmafo:

But, I do tend to have freakishly good luck a lot.  :lol:

I'm always scoping the classifieds for AAs and other cool stuff though, everyday.  I drive and these things are priceless, if you can get them that cheap in a fair distance drive...  I figure why not, right?  The furthest I've had to go for one has only been 2 hours each way, hell, that's just an evening stroll in my eyes.  :cool:

Edited by TheChief (03/26/15 03:34 PM)

Offlinecamplo
Freedom!

#21460855 - 03/26/15 02:17 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Don't buy glass syringes  :beatingtodeath: It looks cool... :beatingtodeath:

--------------------
:three:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag