Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Utah is going to bring back the firing squad
    #20868566 -

http://www.sltrib.com/news/1846892-155/firing-execution-squad-utah-lethal-death

Quote:
A legislative committee wants to bring back the firing squad as one of the primary methods for executing condemned criminals in Utah.

The Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Interim Committee on Wednesday endorsed legislation that makes firing squads the method for carrying out executions if the drugs needed for lethal injections are not available to the state — and they currently are not.

Rep. Paul Ray, R-Clearfield, said Utah does not now have the "cocktail" of drugs needed to carry out executions by lethal injection and needs to be prepared to do so with a firing squad.

"The European company that makes this [drug cocktail] is refusing to sell to the United States because they’re opposed to the death penalty," said Ray, who called the firing squad armed with rifles "absolutely one of the most humane ways to execute someone because it’s so quick and, quite honestly, one of the most painless ways."


"I’m sure there’s some initial pain to it," he said, "but you don’t see the struggling and the trying to breathe you see on any type of lethal injection. Even on the ones that are the lethal drug cocktail, you still see the gurgling and the fighting to breathe."

The bill was prompted in part by a "botched" execution in Oklahoma where condemned murderer and rapist Clayton Lockett writhed and gasped after he was injected and called out, "Oh, man," according to news reports quoting witnesses. Lockett died of a heart attack about a half hour after getting lethal doses of drugs, prison officials said, sparking a national debate over the drugs used to carry out executions and the death penalty itself.

Under the bill headed for the 2015 Utah Legislative General Session in January, a court hearing would be held at a minimum of 30 days before a scheduled execution at which a judge would determine if a legal drug combination was available for the execution. If not, the firing squad would become the method of execution.

In recent decades, Utah gave death row inmates the choice of execution by lethal injection or a firing squad. But in 2004, the Legislature made lethal injection the primary method of execution, with a firing squad available for inmates who previously had the right to chose their method of execution or if a court declared lethal injection unconstitutional.

Jean Hill, the government liaison for the Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City, said the diocese opposed the bill because of its longstanding opposition to capital punishment.

"We don’t believe there is a humane way to execute anyone," Hill said. "And the idea that we put five people behind a wall to shoot someone who is immobilized and unarmed is not humane."

The committee voted 9-2 to endorse the legislation, with Rep. Mark Wheatley, D-Salt Lake, and Rep. Marc Roberts, R-Santaquin, against the endorsement.

"I don’t see where this bill is needed," said Wheatley. "We’re not correcting any problem. … It’s not solving anything."

The Utah prison inmate who may be the closest to execution is Douglas Carter, convicted of killing Eva Olesen during a 1985 robbery at her Provo home.

But Deputy Utah Attorney General Tom Brunker said Carter still has legal actions pending in state and federal courts.

The last person executed by a firing squad in Utah was Ronnie Lee Gardner on June 18, 2010. Gardner was sentenced to death for the 1985 murder of attorney Michael Burdell during an attempt to escape while Gardner was in the Salt Lake City courthouse for a hearing stemming from another murder the year before.

Gardner chose a firing squad when a 3rd District Court judge signed a death warrant in 2010. His execution brought an intense focus to Utah and its capital punishment laws.

The Jan. 17, 1977, execution by firing squad of Gary Gilmore also brought international attention to Utah when he became the first person executed in the United States in 10 years after a series of U.S. Supreme Court decisions upheld the death penalty after earlier decisions had struck down previous laws.

Probably the most famous execution by firing squad in Utah was that of Joe Hill, the Swedish immigrant born Joel Emmanuel Hägglund, who was known for songs he composed on behalf of the Industrial Workers of the World, a militant labor union of that era.




--------------------
Psychedelic experience is only a glimpse of genuine mystical insight, but a glimpse which can be matured and deepened by the various ways of meditation in which drugs are no longer necessary or useful. If you get the message, hang up the phone. For psychedelic drugs are simply instruments, like microscopes, telescopes, and telephones. The biologist does not sit with eye permanently glued to the microscope, he goes away and works on what he has seen - Alan Watts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: alig23]
    #20868588 -

If they cared enough about humane execution, they could find it in about 5 minutes on Google. No one actually cares enough to do it. Death doesn't have to hurt. No one cares enough to do anything about it. They like to talk about it a lot though and act like there's no solution.



--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: Shroomslip]
    #20868594 -

If a dog or cat can be brought in for routine euthanasia, it shouldn't be difficult to do the same for any human being - monster or not. :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: Shroomslip]
    #20868605 -




At least you've got a chance of surviving it. This guy did.
Albeit a small one, but he did.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: PatrickKn]
    #20868616 -

Yeah it is fucked up that they still use old Nazi methods of killing people.  I think I'd rather the shooting squad judging by what I hear about lethal injection.  I've heard some recording of people dying and alot of them expressed pain and discomfort.  I don't see what is wrong with a heavy benzo/barb/fent overdose followed by suffocation. 

You can't really blame Europe for not wanting to take part in this, I wouldn't either, but I don't get why this method is approved when it is not humane or cheap and the state cannot even reliably supply the materials to make executions.  I wouldn't really mind the death penalty so much if it wasn't enacted by a bunch of hypocrite bureaucrat morons.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #20868686 -

Ain't nothing wrong with the firing squad for execution.  Lethal injection and the electric chair are much, much less humane. IMO,  hanging is possibly the most humane method. Get the knot in the correct spot and the pain is likely imperceptible.


--------------------
R.I.P Rod Beck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: robbyberto]
    #20868689 -

The most humane method is hypoxia. Watch the video I posted. They won't even know the difference once it starts to take hold. It wouldn't even be expensive to implement. It doesn't have to release dangerous chemicals (like the gas chamber does now) that need to be filtered first. It's not messy or bloody. They just eventually lose consciousness and eventually slip away.


--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: robbyberto]
    #20868731 -

billy jowl said:
..
Ain't nothing wrong with the firing squad for execution.  Lethal injection and the electric chair are much, much less humane. IMO,  hanging is possibly the most humane method. Get the knot in the correct spot and the pain is likely imperceptible.



It seems like they want an element of torture in there, it is about vengeance after all.  Firing squads can certainly be a brutal way to die, I wouldn't call it humane, but it is human.  People killing people, no buffers, no paralyzing agents to prevent the expression of suffering, just good old fashioned legal murder.

Hypoxia makes sense, or what they already do for terminally ill people where euthanasia is allowed would be humane.  I like the idea of combining strong drugs and cutting off oxygen, but like I said I don't think they want humane, they just want to make sure that the executioner doesn't think they're causing excess suffering which is why they paralyze them before administering sodium pentathol.  One study found that 41 out of 49 bodies autopsied didn't have enough anesthesia for surgery, and 21 of those would have been aware.  Who cares so long as they can't complain though, right?

Seems cruel and unusual to me, but I guess that's life.

Edited by moonrockmushy (11/21/14 01:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #20868781 -

I heard that they want to use Dilaudid or Fentanyl to execute people but government officials are worried because they are addictive drugs.  :smirk:


--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: moonrockmushy] * 1
    #20868783 -

Why can't they just shoot the condemned up with 50 grams of the most potent heroin and a 1000 MG's of xanax at one time. The person will immediately pass out and anything after that will be painless and humane because they'll be completely blacked out and dead within minutes. The cocktails they're using just aren't strong enough IMO.

Edited by Magicman69 (11/21/14 02:01 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #20868809 -

moonrockmushy said:
billy jowl said:
..
Ain't nothing wrong with the firing squad for execution.  Lethal injection and the electric chair are much, much less humane. IMO,  hanging is possibly the most humane method. Get the knot in the correct spot and the pain is likely imperceptible.



It seems like they want an element of torture in there, it is about vengeance after all.  Firing squads can certainly be a brutal way to die, I wouldn't call it humane, but it is human.  People killing people, no buffers, no paralyzing agents to prevent the expression of suffering, just good old fashioned legal murder.

Hypoxia makes sense, or what they already do for terminally ill people where euthanasia is allowed would be humane.  I like the idea of combining strong drugs and cutting off oxygen, but like I said I don't think they want humane, they just want to make sure that the executioner doesn't think they're causing excess suffering which is why they paralyze them before administering sodium pentathol.  One study found that 41 out of 49 bodies autopsied didn't have enough anesthesia for surgery, and 21 of those would have been aware.  Who cares so long as they can't complain though, right?

Seems cruel and unusual to me, but I guess that's life.



I didn't say that....:tinfoil:
but I don't necessarily disagree with it either.
i do think they should be able to choose the method.
"in reason" though


--------------------

Edited by billy jowl (11/21/14 02:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: moonrockmushy]
    #20868838 -

Who the fuck cares.


They're as good as dead, I don't really give a shit how they go.

Maybe they shouldn't have went around kidnapping, raping and murdering people.

If somebody in my family was a victim, the person responsible could go fuck themselves. I'm not about to start some pity party over them going "painlessly." Fuck them.

And fuck having people sit on death row forever..get on with the show.


--------------------

ga ga ga eets eets how you gone be mad on vacation?
MONICA COULDN'T TELL TIME UNTIL SHE WAS 13

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: alig23]
    #20868845 -

Sweet


--------------------
:leaf: :usa:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: shadyy] * 2
    #20868863 -

Not everyone think the way you do. Here let me give you some back story.

My brother was murdered, brutally. He was shot point blank with a shotgun. Over something stupid at a small party. Instead of calling 911, every single one of them scrambled, only a few came back, after hiding the gun, and then called 911. His injuries were not automatically a death sentence. If they had called then and there, he wouldn't have bled out. There was a cop as a first responder who tried to get him to talk, and he wouldn't (he was not a snitch, even on his death bed). But it didn't matter, they know who did it and he later admitted it, and worse.

The dude who killed him got less than 2 years in jail because of a technicality (he was 17 when he committed the crime). That hurt worse than the fact that my brother was dead. Because of this: He threatened my mother and other brother after he got out. He thought/thinks he's untouchable. He made constant threatening calls, but nothing was ever done about it.

I can't begin to tell you how many fucked up scenarios I've considered. Only reason I don't is because I guarantee I'd get 25-life or something, for a retaliation killing. I've had 11 years to consider the way I could inflict the most pain on him without having him go into shock or die, I want him to feel it all. I want to make him suffer until he begs to die.

I want to condense 5-6 years of pain I felt everyday into the time frame he could survive without me getting 'bored'. Hate is a word I never really truly understand the meaning behind until this. I HATE that mother fucker. I want him dead and I want him to suffer as much as a human being can possibly suffer before death.

All that being said. The state is not me, and it's not the victims family. It's supposed to be punishment, not torture, not revenge. Regardless of what he did, I feel he has the right to die painlessly. If I could get my hands on him and get away with it, I can't say how many days it would last, but I can't and won't. So I have to leave it in the court's hands, and they failed me. HARD. My brother was my best friend. He was more than family. He was my non-sexual soul partner. When he died, a huge part of me died with him.

I don't even support execution. A true punishment is making them live their lives in prison with no chance of escape. Fuck, take down the fences and put up bullet proof glass walls. Let them look at the outside and keep it close. Let them sit there and watch all they're missing.

If you're going to kill them in retaliation, it shouldn't be in anger and it shouldn't hurt them, regardless of their crimes. That is only vengeance speaking. Because that's all that's speaking when I say I want to start with toes and fingers and keep cutting off sections until he finally dies, after injecting him with anything I can to keep him alive as long as possible. The very fact that I want him to suffer is more of a reason the state shouldn't want that.

Also as a side note for the cop haters here ( I know there's a lot) my brother's last words were "go fuck yourself" and I'm not even joking. The cop was asking him questions about what had happened (Like I said he wasn't terminal immediately, he died in the hospital, he was conscious throughout everything up until the hospital) and he wouldn't say shit.. I know some (maybe even most) would see that as stupid or whatever, but we hated cops. He refused to tell them anything, ever. Not just in death. Nothing good ever came to us from talking to them. He refused 'snithching' even when he knew he was going to die. I take pride in him for that. I really do. Not because of the cop hating, but because of the bravery it must've took. If it were me, and I knew I was dying... I'd be giving every detail and letting them know exactly who killed me. It took a lot of guts (no stupid puns please) to die like that, and 'like a man' more or less.


--------------------
With my face against the floor I can’t see who knocked me out of the way.
I don’t want to get back up but I have to so it might as well be today.
Nothing appeals to me no one feels like me, I’m too busy being calm to disappear.
I’m in no shape to be alone contrary to the shit that you might hear.


You can't wake up, this is not a dream. You're part of a machine, you are not a human being
With your face all made up, living on a screen. Low on self esteem, so you run on gasoline

Edited by Shroomslip (11/21/14 04:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: Shroomslip]
    #20868956 -

I'm sure lethal injection is pretty damn painful too. I might rather be shot


--------------------
R.I.P
Zombi3, Blue Helix
Modest Mouse
Zappa, Jellyfish
Slothie
That Kid With The face
ShLong
Le Canard
split_by_nine
& Big Worm Forever
Etched in the sands of time in the shroomery and ever so beloved and deeply missed by many :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: Shroomslip]
    #20868983 -

I'm sorry for your loss. I know that's a typical response,
but I truly could not imagine such a tragedy.
I could say not to let his murderer rent space in your head
or to let go of hate.
That's not realistic I know I couldn't just" let go"
No advice in this type of situation is really meaningful imo
I just wish you the best and sorry the world can be so
fucked up. I hope you can find some peace in your life.
:heart:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: Webster10]
    #20869030 -

Webster10 said:
Sweet



It's fucking strange when we agree.  But yes this is sweet.  It makes absolutely NO sense to use expensive means of killing when we've been developing efficient ways to do that since our inception.  I mean if you've already decided you're going to off somebody; you might as well use a box of cartridges instead of the rigamaroo they've got to go through now to do it. :shrug:


Also; how difficult is it to find a chemist in the states that has the capacity to produce (what is it) pheonobarbital?


--------------------
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.- Robert A. Heinlein
Saint RedBow of the Shroomey Loomey-Patron Saint of Sandbaggin Sumbitchs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: TheGreenArrow]
    #20869150 -

I was actually under the impression Utah and a few others had never stopped using the firing squad.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: 1234go]
    #20869158 -

They should suffocate them with plastic bread bags over their heads.  Make 'em squirm.


--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Utah is going to bring back the firing squad [Re: mpd] * 1
    #20869164 -

All I have to say is I am for this.

There is something called freedom from cruel and unusual punishment. If someone opened up a paper and saw that someone got shot, they'd be like eh just another day.

But if someone opened up and read that a person broke into a house, tied up the home owner in their bed and strapped them to a car battery or pumped them full of sophisticated chemicals you'd be like damn, that is cruel. and unusual.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* GOOD READ: a postive interview with erowids earth N fire. C20H25N3O 2,543 7 05/07/04 09:43 AM
by MOTH
* Utah rave illegally shut down by swat!
( 1 2 3 4 all )
lostinthestarzzz 7,735 77 08/25/05 03:58 PM
by 40oz
* Is there anyone in Utah?....
( 1 2 all )
scott2004bc 2,748 28 02/23/04 03:40 PM
by scott2004bc
* Fire On The Mountain shallow 990 11 09/29/04 03:59 PM
by shallow
* Utah bound Gr8fulJ420 562 6 03/20/05 07:24 PM
by Smallworlds
* A little Utah humor for you Hrethic 444 3 07/26/04 11:11 PM
by SoDak_Stranger
* That point when you finally decide: "I'm going to get fired!"
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
trendalM 14,630 134 08/14/05 06:49 PM
by trendal
* Inject me with inspiration
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 3,401 25 05/09/06 04:36 PM
by MOTH

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,905 topic views. 5 members, 13 guests and 239 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.