Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'SFDs' [Re: MastaBlastar]
    #20404585 -

MastaBlastar said:
tombosley8 said:
maybe tighten the foil a bit mor under the lid but that shouldn't be happening. Though they say you don't need to use foil with sfds, I think the foil does help as i had jars that had a mushy starchy burst grain bottom because water was getting through the sfd from dripping off the pc lid and the jars stacked on top. Maybe if you can after sterilization, remove the foil and shake em while they are still hot and the water should evaporate quickly.



:whathesaid:  I have the same issue, but I just take em out when they are still hot and they dry in seconds.  The nice thing about polyester filling is it is hydrophobic (and oleophilic) making id dry really fast.  This is tru of any PET polyester, and one of the reasons I like it over cellulose SFD's.




--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'SFDs' [Re: Haywire]
    #20404751 -

Haywire said:
the only thing that worries me is this. when the jars cool down, they suck in air. that air had to go through the polyfill disk but when it's wet it's a vector for contams...




Sorry, I'm not picking on you, for I've seen this repeated many times.

I'm starting to think this may be a misunderstanding of what's really going on.

Moisture on the filter should not affect the filters ability to do its job while air is sucked in during cooling.

The way I see it, the wet filter, in this particular scenario, does not allow contams to get sucked in. For this to happen, it would seem the moisture would have to make the pores bigger and/or the contams smaller and/or a force strong enough to overcome it. The force isn't that strong.

However, if the filter stays wet long enough and there is any sort of food source on it, then a contam could potentially germinate on the lid and grow through, thus contaminating. But, in my experience, the filter dries way too fast for this to happen.


--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'SFDs' [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20405473 -

i always wondered about that too.
i do not filter my agar when i cook it.  two snapple bottles w/o lids, tin foil on top with rubber band.  if con tams were to suck in, it would have gotten at least one of my 50+ sleeves so far, but it hasn't. 
i get the science, and i understand wet filters>more prone to contam, but i think SBJ has a great point there ^^^  never thought of it quite like that
i've wondered about the origin of that too.  was it a common occurrence in early cultivation attempts?  or was it an afterthought/possibility that got repeated too much?


--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'SFDs' [Re: blindingleaf]
    #20405741 -

I may have revolutionized the way we do filters anyways guys.  I haven't seen anyone else doing it anyways..  Stay tuned as I'm in the process of writing up the new tek.  Can't wait to hear what you guys think of this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'SFDs' [Re: Dilated]
    #20405846 -

I'm down with anything that helps home cultivators :rockon:


--------------------
A few thoughts on cultivation
MICROBIAL HUSBANDRY!!!!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'SFDs' [Re: blindingleaf]
    #20406207 -

word


--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'SFDs' [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20406796 -

the filter did dry up very quickly so I'm glad it's nothing to worry about. I just read that shit on the forum about wet filters being a vector. sometimes it's hard plowing through all the shit...


--------------------
Ciao mamma, guarda come mi diverto


My grows :mushroom2: Outdoor patches

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: Haywire]
    #20406860 -

Dont SFD give GE while stuffed polyfill give FAE.  I would test out the SFD being thiner to allow FAE first, then try it thicker.

I like the idea of not having polyfill being stuck out into the mushroom space of my monotub.  But would ironing the polyfill actually be beneficial to just stuffing the holes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: stoneaged]
    #20406867 -

Well here it is guys, the newest standard for lid making

Let me know what you guys think!  I'd love some feedback.  I'm so excited about this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: stoneaged]
    #20406872 -

stoneaged said:
Dont SFD give GE while stuffed polyfill give FAE.  I would test out the SFD being thiner to allow FAE first, then try it thicker.

I like the idea of not having polyfill being stuck out into the mushroom space of my monotub.  But would ironing the polyfill actually be beneficial to just stuffing the holes?



Stuffing polyfil tightly is only going to provide GE.  If you stuff it lightly it will provide both GE and FAE.  The purpose of this tek is to only allow GE.  You don't want FAE in your colonizing jars.  That would spell lots of trouble. 

To answer your last question.  It's very beneficial because I've tried and tested it multiple times and I've gotten better results than I would if I had just stuffed them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: Dilated]
    #20408541 -

So, the thread is 3 months old so it might be a bit early,
but have you seen any signs of these home made SFD's being worse than storebought SFD's in any way?

Can these handle the same amount of PC runs you think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: spacechildo]
    #20408694 -

spacechildo said:
So, the thread is 3 months old so it might be a bit early,
but have you seen any signs of these home made SFD's being worse than storebought SFD's in any way?

Can these handle the same amount of PC runs you think?



It is dependent on how well you iron them together.  If you don't let them merge together correctly they are going to get fluffy and lose their density.  If you take the time/care and really iron these together well they will last.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: Dilated]
    #20408742 -

You could always just re iron then bleach them.  Good as new!:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: stoneaged]
    #20408763 -

why would you bleach it? that will just leave residue and make your sfd not pass ge correctly.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: stoneaged]
    #20408766 -

Wont be that much fun when you find out they're fucked because all your grain spawn has contamed...

But it seems like I'll be trying this myself, just gotta see if the gf got an iron or not :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: Dilated]
    #20411618 -

Dilated said:
spacechildo said:
So, the thread is 3 months old so it might be a bit early,
but have you seen any signs of these home made SFD's being worse than storebought SFD's in any way?

Can these handle the same amount of PC runs you think?



It is dependent on how well you iron them together.  If you don't let them merge together correctly they are going to get fluffy and lose their density.  If you take the time/care and really iron these together well they will last.



I put some silicone on the sides so the layers won't separate. seems to be working.


--------------------
Ciao mamma, guarda come mi diverto


My grows :mushroom2: Outdoor patches

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: Haywire]
    #20482839 -

this is fantastic, i was just about to replace my whatman ports! i think their life span just ran out. now when your cleaning your lids, are you leaving this filter on and washing it in the dishwasher?


--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE


:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: eatyualive]
    #20482958 -

eatyualive said:
this is fantastic, i was just about to replace my whatman ports! i think their life span just ran out. now when your cleaning your lids, are you leaving this filter on and washing it in the dishwasher?



I just do my best to get any debris left over and I use some Iso if it needs a through cleaning.  Other than that, I let my PC do the cleaning :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: Dilated]
    #20482963 -

That's what I do too. I wash off any noticeable stuff on the inside, but the PC does the rest.


--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Polyfil ironed out to create 'filter discs' :) [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #20484315 -

i use to use the dishwasher but it was pointless. I agree just wipping debree off and a quick rinse is all that's needed. As well as with my jars i just soak em for 20 min then rinse and let dry.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* who has polyfil air holes on their grow chamber? yogithehoneybear 1,472 4 03/12/02 11:53 AM
by BIGSWANG
* Alternatives to verm - coco and polyfill farmer_maggot 4,464 14 08/26/01 04:26 PM
by patzee
* Do I need polyfil in the small slits in my fruiting tub? jtk 865 5 04/11/06 02:07 PM
by MindsEye
* Polyfill Question rootkey 655 3 02/05/04 10:13 PM
by llamaboy
* URGENT POLYFILL QUESTION! (leaving outta state in 5 minutes!) PookztA 472 2 10/29/05 08:50 AM
by stoner4life
* Polyfil Vs Tyvek for tub air exchange AnOddLittlePlace 2,563 9 04/01/05 09:43 AM
by agar
* Can I use this as a SFD? jarman65 3,386 19 07/27/11 03:00 PM
by thedayman
* best place to buy sfd's thekev333 1,377 12 05/07/11 12:18 PM
by Fungal growth

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
18,301 topic views. 19 members, 49 guests and 147 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.