Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Can't control my anger
    #18619115 -

I've known for many years I have a serious anger problem. I don't know how/why but when I get mad, sometimes it just keeps building well past the point it really should. I actively try to calm myself but it doesn't work. I can physically feel the anger in me swelling, it has a physical sensation for me. Then I lose all control, I'm aware of what's going on, but it's not really 'me' anymore. The normal me is just trapped inside my head watching as I flip the fuck out and do things I don't want to do and always end up regretting later. I try REALLY hard to control it, but it's almost always a fight I lose. When I was locked up I took anger management classes, but that didn't help.

Weed helped, but I can't smoke anymore. I have to go clean. Does what I said sound familiar to anyone? Were you ever able to overcome it? How?

I think a lot of my problem is me bottling everything up instead of telling everyone exactly what I think and feel. People routinely do things that irritate me or I don't like but I brush them off and try to just go on with my life. I can't just go around telling everyone, everything they do that pisses me off though.. I can't expect the world to revolve around me. "Just not caring" doesn't work, as I said, I try to ignore it but it just gets bottled up and eventually it all comes out at once.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can't control my anger [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #18619188 -

I can understand this, and I really don't have any answers.

I've always been quick to rant, and if I don't try really hard, I feel the anger rise up in me until it's a physical sensation in my chest and arms.

The screwed up thing is that I'm aware of what I'm doing, and what the consequences will be, but I let the anger and rage take over.
Over the past few years I've kept it in check, because in previous years I'd just loose all control and rant and rave, and hit (generally walls and my face etc) Now I just argue, and because I'm intelligent, I can make any position sound like the correct one, and find avenues to argue down.

As a child my parents took me to see a psychiatrist because my anger was so great and they were worried I'd do serious damage one day. The issue is, they'd sit in there with me so I couldn't even discuss the influence my (then) alcoholic father and submissive, emotionally abusive mother, had on me.

The thing is, even through the shitty upbringing, there were good parts, and I can see my parents are just humans caught in a bad situation. So I can't hold it against them. But it doesn't help reduce the anger, rage and bitterness.

To be honest, I'm tired of it and would love to let it go and not be so argumentative. Meditation helped for a bit, but it was more a relaxing agent which covered over the anger, rather than helped resolve it.

I'm really thinking about trying therapy, I've no idea if it will help, but I can't think of any other avenues.

It's just such a paradox. I have another side of me which seems the exact opposite of the angry side, but the angry side always seems to be the dominant force. But even in my darkest anger and rage, I love life and I really love myself. It's not a depressive self hate thing - my ego is perhaps too loving of itself.

Just want you to know there are others out there who know how shitty this all is, and I hope there will be yet others with an answer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can't control my anger [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #18619365 -

I dunno whether to be sad or glad that I'm not alone. Yeah I was thinking therapy, too.. I refuse to use Rx drugs anymore because of all the long lasting negative side effects I have from all the different anti-depressants I was on as a kid.

I won't be able to get therapy for a while though.. I have a job coming up, so after I get it, if I haven't found anything else that's helped I'll probably go to a psychologist (no point in a psychiatrist because I absolutely refuse their medicines) or something. Kinda dubious that's really going to help, seeing as I did extended time in anger management classes and they didn't do jack shit for me (and I took them willingly, I WANTED them, it isn't like they were forced on me).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can't control my anger [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #18619421 -

OP I'm the same way. I'm a female. Growing up my mom was always real hot headed and yelled at us kids all the time. She would explode over little things, and now I do too. I really hate it.

I can sit here and say I will try my best to calm myself down but when I get mad, nothing calms me down. I get so mad for no reason.

I'm starting to think therapy is the only answer lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can't control my anger [Re: Anonymous #3]
    #18619485 -

The anger definitely runs in my family.. My mom and dad are both this way, and so are both of my brothers.. Without medicine my grandma is supposedly like 10x worse than I am. I haven't really spent enough time around the rest of my family to know if they have the same problem (I've sense them angry sure, but everyone gets angry once in awhile).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can't control my anger [Re: Anonymous #3]
    #18619526 -

I have been there man. I struggled with raging anger from my young teens till i was about 26yrs old..  Ive been an abusive boyfriend, verbally and physically, I've picked fights, I once drove my car over a median out of anger with my ex and wrecked it.  I've torn through walls, I've destroyed things that are precious to people, Ive hurt the people that i love.

I got help, and it never worked...  I did drugs, I tripped a lot and felt like it helped me see the light but my improvement was modest at best.

Like you, I didn't ever want it to happen..  I just couldn't help it.  Someone would piss me off and my rage just took over and I did shit that I knew I would regret.  I seeked out help but i felt like all of my therapists were just probing me with question about abuse and were looking for a reason to put me away..  I never opened up to them.  I would never tell someone not to consider professional help but it didn't work for me..

I'm not like that anymore..  I'm kind of a teddy bear now..  I just let things go.  It took a shit load of effort and self work to do it and honestly im not sure when it all came together and clicked.. I don't know exactly what i did to change it.  I know i saw the writing on the wall and knew that was only a matter of time till i got locked up or fucked with the wrong person..

I think the paradigm shift occurred when I started working on loving myself man.  As much as possible..  Suddenly other people, as crass as it sounds, didn't even matter enough to get upset about.  It sounds strange but becoming self-absorbed helped with my anger, it helped me feel less trapped.. 

Chick cheats on me? "whatever, pussy is one of the most plentiful things on the planet"
Dude fucks me over? "Fuck it, its just money and friends are replaceable"

I probably sound like an asshole for saying it but taking on the mentality that people in my life are easily replaceable really helped me quit lashing out at them...

I have since evolved further from those initial realizations to having unconditional love for people and it achieves the same thing..  If im going to hang out with someone or have them in my life I love them unconditionally, for their beauty and faults alike..  For example, I have a friend that always accidentally fucks shit up.  The other day he was following me in my car and he was texting and rear ended me at a stoplight.  That kind of stupidity is the kind of thing that really pisses me off, but im able to let it go because I have always known the dude is a basket case, and I have decided to have him in my life anyway.. When you take on this mentality, really the person at fault is yourself you dig?  You decide who's in your life but you do it knowing the pros and cons. .

I've come realize that people are not perfect and people sometimes hurt the ones they care about.  If a chick fucks me over I focus on the good.. I can have love for her even if she is never in my life again simply because at one point we had good times, but people are imperfect and it didn't work out.

I know i rambled on, and my point of views are probably a little "out there" but if i helped even a little bit its worth it.  Anger is a terrible beast to have in your life. :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can't control my anger [Re: Anonymous #4]
    #18619592 -

Any insight is greatly appreciated.. I have no problem with rambling, when I'm interested in a subject I actually prefer people to ramble. It builds a more complete thought process.

When I was smoking everyday, all of that wouldn't really be a problem. In fact that's why I've been smoking weed everyday.. To keep the 'crazy' in. It's the only thing I've found that makes a difference. It really does work, too. I was smoking everyday for over a year and had maybe 1 or 2 serious outbursts in that time. Compare that to a bi or tri-weekly thing before starting..

I wish I could just let all the little shit go, but I don't know how.. I try to 'will it away' if that makes sense, but that don't work. I try breathing, thinking calming thoughts, removing myself from the situation, reminding myself of the consequences.. Fuck everything I can think of, especially when I'm fixing to explode because I become desperate to not do it.. Nothing seems to help.

THE ONLY positive thing is that I've stopped being physically abusive.. It took A LOT of work to stop that, but I managed to do it. It's something I'm far less than proud of, but yes I have been physically abusive to my wife in the past, and not just once or twice.

One day I realized if I didn't stop, I was going to lose her, either she was going to finally of had enough or I would take things too far. So I decided to stop, no matter the cost. I don't even truthfully know how I did. I just know I haven't been physically abusive in a very long time and that I made the conscious choice to not be anymore.

Now I'm still verbally/emotionally abusive when I get angry and I want that to stop, too. The reason for this post is last night me and my wife had a huge fight. Well I had a fight and she 'took it' for lack of a better word. Her fighting back only ever enrages me further and she knows it so she doesn't anymore. I can't begin to describe how fucking low this makes me feel.

Last night was the first time in a long time we've had an all out fight like that.. Self medicating with weed had pretty much stopped it entirely. I don't want there to be a second. I really want last night to be the last.

And there I go rambling on..

Edited by Anonymous (07/27/13 12:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can't control my anger [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #18620167 -

I haven't thought about this stuff in a long time..  Part of me really wants to trace this all back and put the pieces back together in my head so that if I ever have a son with problems like this perhaps I can help him…  Thinking about past relationships reminds me of an experience that had a lot of influence on my decision to change.

First of all, It's really difficult to admit physical abuse, I know firsthand...  Even talking about this subject right now is difficult for me..  It’s a very shameful thing to have done.  I think that there is value in discussing it though because I imagine that a lot of couples experience it and never talk about it.  Men don't ever want to admit that they would do such a thing, and women don't ever want to admit that they ever put up with such a thing.

An experience that I had with an ex gf comes to mind...  It was a troubled relationship, lots of emotional abuse and what I would describe as mild physical abuse, grabbing, pushing, throwing and breaking things ect...

Amongst all the pain, we loved each-other and most days were good days.  We could seemingly put away the pain and enjoy each other’s company most of the time.  She had never done drugs and wanted to try mushrooms because I had talked about them so much.  I was a little hesitant because of our instability but we decided to do it anyway..  I’ll keep the trip report as short as possible because it’s kind of irrelevant, but basically the trip went good for me, I was in a good mood and when i looked at her i remember thinking about how beautiful she was, and how lucky i was that she wanted to be with me..  However, It wasn't long until I noticed that she was really quiet and acting kind of strange, when i asked her what was wrong she told me she was scared but wouldn't tell me why and said that she just wanted it all to stop..  I gave her some xanax and I took some too and we fell asleep together.

The next day she revealed to me why she freaked out..  She said when she looked at me she saw the devil, or at least a manifestation of evil.  Apparently at one point during the trip I had strolled over to the window to peer outside; she said when i did that she got a really bad vibe and thought that i was making sure there were no witnesses around so that i could kill her...  She said there was a part of her that knew it was just the drugs but it really upset her and she got really scared...

Imagine for a moment what i had to digest hearing this story..  After talking about how beautiful mushrooms were, this is the first experience that I was able to give someone..  I'll be honest, I wanted to breakdown and cry.  No matter how much we covered up our problems, no matter how many times we pacified and assured each other that deep down we loved one another, No matter how much I wanted to pretend that the abuse never happened... Below all of that, she couldn’t help but see me as the monster that I was.  I don’t doubt that she loved me, but every day somewhere inside her she always had to question whether today was going to be a good day or a horrible one.  Realizing just how deep these scars reached really opened my eyes, people will forgive but they will never forget.  Somehow me knowing that no matter what she was saying, no matter how happy we were, no matter what was happening on the surface, deep down she was wondering if/when I was going to flip out again and hurt her, be it mentally or physically.

I remember thinking that this wasn’t the legacy I wanted to leave behind, it wasn’t how I wanted the people that cared about me most to remember me when I was dead and gone..  When I think back, I think it was the aforementioned desire that led me to dedicate myself to peace, love and empathy.  I can honestly say that If I get hurt, or if I have to bear a burden from time to time that’s fine, I would much rather be remembered as this man than the unstable monster I once was.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Can't control my anger [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #18620665 -

Try meditation. Even 5 minutes a day will cause physiological changes in the brain. Seriously, it actually changes your brain. In a good way.

http://www.project-meditation.org/a_wim1/effects_of_meditation.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* If you could pay to have other users banned... *DELETED*
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 9,392 86 07/22/09 04:38 PM
by Anonymous
* I refuse to post anonymously here. Anonymous 2,118 13 04/08/10 07:23 PM
by Anonymous
* Talk to an anonymous stranger!
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Anonymous 9,692 89 07/08/09 10:35 PM
by Anonymous
* Hating how you look?
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 6,013 50 02/17/10 05:09 AM
by Anonymous
* The "reality" of this forum - a disclaimer for n00bs
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Anonymous 8,641 64 10/05/10 07:21 PM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, Shroomism, george castanza, Alan Rockefeller, yogabunny
292 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 7 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.