Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
classical latin or "modern latin"
    #18566033 -

which would be the better one to start studying?

i think classical sounds way cooler, but which would be more useful

i googled learn latin and found a website teaching latin used from 1000-1733 in official documents, there are also websites to learn classical latin, that the romans would have used

any ideas where to start?

any info would be appreciated, like what latin do organizations use such as the church or other people use


--------------------
You can drink at 7 A.M., because the Beastie Boys fought for that right
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pons asinorum
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
lsd and the vietnam war changed music forever

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: hidenseek1]
    #18566044 -

why even study it? Isn't it not a complete language? I thought I'd heard that some of it was lost somehow, something like that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #18566053 -

Somehow or something like that....


--------------------
new trade list 
my own WCA V: I

"Ha! Marshall you're so funny man You should be a comedian, god damn!" Unfortunately I am I just hide behind the tears of a clown"

Meteloides said:
Stick to naturally occurring substances! Like Shrooms! And DMT! And Datura! And Amanita Phalloides! And Nutmeg! And Hemlock!
That'll expand the shit out of your DNA.
:ancientaliens:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #18566060 -

pretty much just the cool factor

plus if i ever got my own dog, id teach it in latin, the problem with me teaching my dog in english is i end up confusing the hell out of them, by using the same words in different situations

also the majority of other people couldnt give it commands


--------------------
You can drink at 7 A.M., because the Beastie Boys fought for that right
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pons asinorum
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
lsd and the vietnam war changed music forever

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: Rexter]
    #18566063 -

Rexter said:
Somehow or something like that....



are you implying it was lost on purpose  :tinfoil:


--------------------
You can drink at 7 A.M., because the Beastie Boys fought for that right
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pons asinorum
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
lsd and the vietnam war changed music forever

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: hidenseek1]
    #18566069 -

hidenseek1 said:
i think classical sounds way cooler, but which would be more useful



Useful for what? Personallly I think I wouldn't really have any use for understanding Latin grammar, but knowing more botanical Latin would be useful to me. Just knowing words in Latin also helps to understand the roots of many English words.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: hidenseek1]
    #18566185 -

The differences are not big enough for a novice to worry about. Just start with the basics. Most methods use classecal rules for that. You can always specialize in church Latin later.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: hidenseek1]
    #18566953 -

hidenseek1 said:
Rexter said:
Somehow or something like that....



are you implying it was lost on purpose  :tinfoil:



I'm implying I have no idea what actually happened.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #18566971 -

Modern Latin = French, Italian, Spanish, other Romance languages.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: hidenseek1]
    #18567504 -

I learned Classical Latin for four years and translated The Aeneid. I don't know what this "modern" Latin is y'all're talking about. There's "neoLatin" which describes words for things like "airplane" and "car" in Latin. Really IMO classical Latin IS Latin. After you learn classical Latin you basically know vulgar or ecclesiastical Latin as well as like 90% of Spanish and Italian, 80% of French, Portuguese and Romanian and then a shit ton of other European languages with Latin-derived vocabulary (like English). I hope that made sense; Classical Latin is the Latin of native speakers of the language.


--------------------
I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it once, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: Mchaggis]
    #18567535 -

I'm learning Ancient Greek (totally different from modern Greek--one Greek guy I met didn't understand anything I was saying) so props OP on keeping the classics alive!

I don't know a ton about Latin but I think it was more just one continuous language as opposed to one that died and then was superseded by a namesake replacement for the region.

There would certainly be dialects unique to both region and time period, though!


--------------------
Back, bitches.
st1lln0x: so i'm on weed, temazepam, adderall, dexedrine, dxm, dph, alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, tryptophan, GABA, and kratom
Cavemen_savemen: st1lln0x, do you feel like a robot yet?
st1lln0x: I feel like a fucking Gundam
Click to friend me on Steam for Counter-Strike
:crankey: IS LIFE SKULLFUCKING YOU!? HAVE SOME FREE MORALE! :awesomenod:
Click if you want to feel you alone can do it! Click if you want to feel confident and beastly! Click if you want courage to let go and move on! And click the message if you need someone to talk to -- I'll understand, even if we "hate" each other on here :hug: :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: st1llnox]
    #18568207 -

im a bit confused on differentiating what case single or plural nouns are in

for example

dominus (lord)

domini is plural in Nominative and Vocative case but singular in Genitive case

so the only way to tell which one it is would be looking at in the context of the sentence?

i dont think im gonna make it too far trying to learn this off the net


--------------------
You can drink at 7 A.M., because the Beastie Boys fought for that right
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
pons asinorum
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
lsd and the vietnam war changed music forever

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: classical latin or "modern latin" [Re: hidenseek1]
    #18568311 -

I'm learning Russian so I can confuse and scare people when I get angry :lol:


Not really though, I have distant family in Belarus and Ukraine so hopefully one day I can go find them.


If any of y'all on here speak Russian, hollaaaaaa :wink:


As for Latin, I started taking a Latin class in Highschool, but there weren't enough students so they closed the class.
It would come in handy so I could understand the names behind all these plants I occupy my time with.


--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* greek latin DazedSol 1,044 7 12/22/02 08:50 AM
by FreakQlibrium
* What defines the modern liberal?
( 1 2 3 all )
Ferris 4,618 49 04/02/08 11:01 AM
by gluke bastid
* Classical Music
( 1 2 3 all )
CherryBomM 4,053 45 10/18/05 12:38 AM
by Androctonus
* Anyone speaks latin ???
( 1 2 all )
Jalruza 2,136 35 01/07/07 01:18 PM
by AlteredAgain
* Who here can translate into latin? indica 1,428 14 06/29/08 11:09 AM
by Ermizhad
* Latin newuser1492 360 0 02/23/05 01:39 PM
by newuser1492
* Classic Nickelodeon (The Golden Age of Nick) + Other Shows
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
NewbieS 14,080 160 05/19/11 03:49 PM
by thoughts
* Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently...
( 1 2 3 all )
JacquesCousteau 2,710 43 09/28/08 12:42 PM
by JacquesCousteau

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
484 topic views. 5 members, 37 guests and 87 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.