Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

greek latin
    #1151753 - 12/18/02 12:46 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Anyone out there speak latin? Im just curious..., does it translate pretty literally? Like for example: niger paciscor=black bargain??

Anyone know any good sites that may help me out? I've been searching on google but mostly just get sites selling books.....

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: greek latin [Re: DazedSol]
    #1151863 - 12/18/02 01:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

There are a lot of online translators you can find that will translate English to Latin or vice versa. Just do a search for online translator. I also found a small, free downloadable program once called QuickLatin, but it didn't help me too much.

Mr_Mushrooms uses Latin phrases quite a bit, but I am not sure what the extent of his knowledge on the language is. I'd be willing to bet he knows a lot, though, so I'd give him a try if you're really interested.

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: greek latin [Re: DazedSol]
    #1155369 - 12/19/02 03:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Latin is the most difficult language i've ever tried to learn (english, french, german, spanish).

It's so damn complicated b/c of the declinations. Every word has 6 different forms for masculin, feminin, plural and neutral (which means a lot of different forms). Kinda like the german declinations but quite more complicated.

Back when i had Iatin in highschool i would usually take 20-30min to translate a 6 line text, when i usually translate an english text the same size in 2 or 3 mins.

It's not an easy language and there's no one that uses it anymore so i guess i should have chosen geography instead. The only benefit i took from it was getting to know better my mother language who derives from it.

BTW i don't think any electronic translator can translate a latin phrase. You have to carefully analise the words and expression or else you'll get the meaning mixed up.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: greek latin [Re: esin]
    #1155688 - 12/19/02 05:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Where you from?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: greek latin [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #1155756 - 12/19/02 06:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

1st year of latin was easy, then I just had D's and F's on my report card for that class.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: greek latin [Re: esin]
    #1158525 - 12/20/02 05:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:::"BTW i don't think any electronic translator can translate a latin phrase. You have to carefully analise the words and expression or else you'll get the meaning mixed up. "::::

Thanks.....thats what i was getting at :smile:

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Re: greek latin [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #1161908 - 12/22/02 10:34 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well, i'm from Lisbon, Portugal.
We speak portuguese which comes from latin just like spanish, french and italian. I may have forgot some others.
But these languages evolved from the popular oral use of latin. Not from the written classic form which we see these days in classic literature.

I also had cool grades my first year, than i started not understanding it at all. Finally had to have an extra particular class with a teacher i know so i could finish my 3rd year. I have not tried to translate a single text ever since i finished. It's pretty much dead these days with the exceptions of some expressions (like per se and habeas corpus).

Niger paciscor litteraly means 'the dark treaty' or 'the dark convention'. In this case it translates pretty litterally but if you want to form or translate a full sentence that's completely different.

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: greek latin [Re: downforpot]
    #1161917 - 12/22/02 10:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, nominative, dative, accumulative, vocative etc...same thing here. My first year i was getting in the 90's but the 2nd year was sheer hell, i could not BELIEVE how much harder it was.......so in typical form, when presented with an intellectual challenge, i did the noble thing......i dropped latin in my 2nd year like a hot potato :grin: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub