Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently...
    #8997227 -

The other night I watched WILLOW, which I haven't seen since I was like 8. It was surreal as fuck, watching a movie that had the nostalgia and familiarity of something I knew and loved, but not remembering FUCK ALL from it. All I could remember when I turned it on was what Willow's face looked like, and that there's a multi-headed dragon. (I thought it was 3-headed, ended up being 2-headed. Close enough.)

Anyway, inspired by this experience, I am seeking out other films from my childhood that I might have forgotten.

So, if anything comes to mind, post any movies that y'all loved watching as children.

I'm talking the kind of timeless stuff that can be watched at any age. (Princess Bride, for example.)

I'll also consider recommendations for more modern films in the same vein, but they've got to be good or I just can't sit through it. (Even LOTR felt far too long to me, though I'm sure the nostalgia will live on with youngins who grew up on it.)

Anybody gots any recommendations?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8997243 -

The Neverending Story


--------------------


Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. - My hero, who will be forever remembered, Carl Sagan.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: 5HTSynaptrip]
    #8997249 -

I already own that one. Definitely a good choice, though for some reason Sabastian came off as a whiney little prick when I watched it again at an older age. :wink:

P.S. Thank you for contributing to the thread, though. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8997260 -

ET and Goonies


--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: monkeywrench]
    #8997263 -

Haha... okay, E.T. I will download. It has been a while since I saw that one. :smile:

Goonies I saw a few years ago. I'll probably look for a copy anyway for the heck of it though.

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8997272 -

Did you ever watch the 1960 version of The Time Machine when you were a kid? It really sends me back in time when i watch it now, 15 years later.


--------------------
Why can't we not be sober?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8997274 -

Labyrinth
The Last Unicorn
Legend


--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8997275 -

the land before time! I cried when his parents died


--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: funguy_84]
    #8997276 -

Yeah, actually, I think I did watch that! I will go find it! :laugh:

You guys kick ass! Keep 'em comin'!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8997279 -

Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal are MUSTS


--------------------
Try to realise it's all within yourself
no one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you


MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #8997281 -

jonathanseagull said:
Labyrinth
The Last Unicorn
Legend



Ahahaha... my girlfriend was into the Last Unicorn as a kid, I had never seen it... she made us watch it last year sometime. Pretty hilarious from an adult perspective.

"What have you DONE?!!!?!?!" that quote lived on in infamy amongst my circle of friends for the next six months after. :wink:

Legend, I can't remember what that one is. I'll look into it.

Of course I remember Labyrinth... I was scarred at a young age by David Bowie's bulging silver spandex package. :P

I'll give it another try, though. :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: x2and2makes5]
    #8997283 -

When I got my legs smashed by a car (age 15) I was laid up in the hospital on morphine watching The Dark Crystal in a half-daze... I drifted off only to wake up at the scene where the crystal is sucking all the life out of him as he tries to put the shard back in.

I had a nervous breakdown. :\

I should probably watch it again, though. Might help me deal with some of the latent emotional trauma from the accident.

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8997284 -

hahaha sorry to bring back horrible memories! :lol:


--------------------
Try to realise it's all within yourself
no one else can make you change
And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you


MUST HAVE MUSIC
1  2

Shroomery Music Exchange

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: danlennon3]
    #8997285 -

danlennon3 said:
the land before time! I cried when his parents died



Man, I find myself in the utmost doubt about this one, because it's a cartoon, and because they pumped out like 14 horrible-looking sequels after.

But I did watch it as a child, so it will probably be a fun adventure anyhow.

Thanks Dan :awesome:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: x2and2makes5]
    #8997288 -

It's alright, man. We all have to face our past someday.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8997294 -

Legend is the kickass one with Tom Cruise and the devil with the gigantic horns and the demons n shit. Wicked flick! Remember they stole the unicorn and shit and cut off it's horn(source of power or something.)


--------------------
"Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain.  Fire."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: Seeker_22]
    #8997300 -

Oh and just to throw this out there, Beetlejuice! That is next on my list of movies to watch while enlightened at the highest point. :shroomer:


--------------------
"Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain.  Fire."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: Seeker_22]
    #8997310 -

Yeah man, I VAAAGUELY remember it. I checked on imdb, and it does look vaguely familiar, so I tracked down a copy and added it to my download queue. :smile:

Thanks much for your contributions!

And everyone else, too! This thread was an epic success! :awesome:

I'll take any more suggestions that anyone's got, of course. :wink:

Beetlejuice rocks, but it's one I never fell out of contact with for whatever reason. I've had a copy around most of my life, infact. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #8997331 -

Mirrormask (2005)

I'd watch it sober first, but that's me... not like it's scary or anything, just a lot of ideas and types of art and realities we make. Hard to describe I guess.

But watch it though. Helena's cute anyway, even if you don't like the premise.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Classic-Epic-Fantasy-type films, either from your childhood or more recently... [Re: Adden]
    #8997337 -

Well, I'm actually looking for some stuff to help fill the void that I've created by letting go of compulsive drug use, so sober is the way I'm flying either way.

Thanks for the reco... I remember hearing the name, but never did get my hands on a copy. I'll see what I can do!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* the 4 classic temperaments- which one are you? Phishgrrl 962 10 08/17/04 12:04 AM
by BioSore
* Childhood toys.
( 1 2 all )
InsatiableThirst 2,351 34 08/18/05 10:32 AM
by Chazzersize
* Childhood
( 1 2 all )
Fliquid 1,772 32 02/04/05 01:58 AM
by barfightlard
* Weird memorys from childhood duster 1,358 15 12/19/04 08:40 PM
by Hambo
* Top 50 Sci Fi and & Fantasy Books jomama 1,031 3 03/06/03 11:54 AM
by CeeEssGee
* sundance film "The Six-string Samarai" love2zen 906 7 04/02/04 03:27 AM
by FirstAvailable
* GREAT new(?) online version of the classic "drugwars" game ChromeCrow 821 3 05/15/04 11:14 AM
by ChromeCrow
* favorite drug related film
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
n0xious 12,415 105 08/31/16 03:34 PM
by BANANA.MAN

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,710 topic views. 13 members, 35 guests and 144 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.038 seconds spending 0.01 seconds on 18 queries.