Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Terrence McKenna, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
Clandestine Psychedelic Research Revolution
    #1850819 - 08/26/03 10:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Inspired :thumbup:

I post this not to spark a debate on whether or not psychedelics produce a genuine experience but only to lend a hand. Maybe its just the drug. Aspirin is just a drug and my headache is gone. It seems to me that the work sited below, points to possibilities that go ignored at our peril. The war on drugs makes these possibilities into a crime and criminals out of anyone who dares explore them. This diminishes us all. It diminishes the law and our leaders. It diminishes God, whatever it/she/he may be. It pushes the world toward a mundane and cynical battlefield, one against the other divided and circumscribed with heartlessness, brutality, and the Will to Power, lacking all mystery, poetics and that sense of the divine that we humans have been inspired by for eons. No missing granite slate carved with commandments or other placating political place-mat can begin to approach the war on drugs as a threat to the experience of the divine in our lives. You have been affected!

Wow, Tuesday morning going fast! :smile:

I like this first quote below of Dr. Grof's. What do you think about the possibility of future psychedelic research, clandestine or otherwise? Where do we begin?

"Psychedelics, used responsibly and with proper caution, would be for psychiatry what the microscope is for biology and medicine or the telescope is for astronomy."- Stan Grof, MD.

Medicinal use of the psychedelics was prevented by the official prohibition, and further research in this field was interrupted, while consumption continued in the drug scene. This irrational situation still largely exists today. For therapists, the use of psychedelics became a criminal matter, for which they could face punishment. One of the very few therapists who continued to use psychedelics, accepting the great risk of criminality, was the psychologist here referred to by the alias 'Jacob' and dubbed the 'Secret Chief.' Jacob had obtained mostly excellent results from his specially-developed techniques in the use of psychedelics, and he realized that this therapeutic method should not be withheld from sick people. His ethical obligation as a therapist, to help people, took priority for him over obedience to a dubious official prohibition. In the illegality of his time it was unthinkable to publish the excellent results of his therapy. It is therefore praiseworthy that today, nine years after his death, a friend has undertaken the task of publishing the details of the therapeutic methodology of this intrepid Ph.D. psychologist. The therapeutic results attained from this method constitute an important argument in the current growing discussion challenging medical circles, whether again to liberate psychedelics for psychotherapeutic practice. -- Albert Hofmann, Ph.D. Rittimatte, Switzerland

http://dwij.org/forum/statesperson/stanislav_grof.htm

The Good Friday Experiment

On Good Friday, 1962, before services commenced in Boston University's Marsh Chapel, Walter Pahnke administered small capsules to twenty Protestant divinity students. Thus began the most scientific experiment in the literature designed to investigate the potential of psychedelic drugs to facilitate mystical experience. Half the capsules contained psilocybin (30mg), an extract of psychoactive mushrooms, and the other half contained a placebo. According to Pahnke, the experiment determined that "the persons who received psilocybin experienced to a greater extent than did the controls the phenomena described by our typology of mysticism"

The original Good Friday experiment is one of the preeminent psychedelic experiments in the scientific literature. Despite the methodological shortcomings of the unavoidable failure of the double-blind and the use of several imprecise questions in the questionnaire used to quantify mystical experiences, the experiment's fascinating and provocative conclusions strongly support the hypothesis that psychedelic drugs can help facilitate mystical experiences when used by religiously inclined people in a religious setting. The original experiment also supports the hypothesis that those psilocybin subjects who experienced a full or a partial mystical experience would, after six months, report a substantial amount of positive, and virtually no negative. persisting changes in attitude and behaviour.

http://druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/doblin.htm

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_journal2.shtml

The Concord Prison Experiment

The Concord Prison Experiment was conducted from 1961-1963 by a  team of researchers at Harvard University under the direction of Timothy  Leary. The original study involved the administration of psilocybin-assisted  group psychotherapy to 32 prisoners in an effort to reduce recidivism rates.

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v09n4/09410con.html

Dr. Oscar Janiger's LSD Research

Beginning in 1954 and continuing until 1962, Janiger conducted  his own examinations of the effects of LSD. In an agreement with Sandoz Laboratories,  which held the patent on LSD and manufactured it, Janiger administered a monitored  dosage of Sandoz LSD to roughly 900 subjects, as part of a naturalistic experiment  intended to illuminate the phenomenological nature of the LSD experience. The standard  dose of LSD administered was 2 micrograms per kilogram of body weight administered  orally; a moderate dose that would produce a powerful effect but is less than what was  generally used in a psychedelic psychotherapeutic context. Subsequent to their LSD  experience, subjects wrote a personal narrative. A month later, they completed  questionnaires and compared descriptions of their experience with that of other subjects.

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v09n1/09107jan.html       

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Clandestine Psychedelic Research Revolution [Re: farfelu]
    #1850831 - 08/26/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

those experiments weren't exactly clandestine as the gov't hadn't yet banned entheogens at the time they took place...

research on psychedelics, if it is to have any scientific impact, must be published in scientific journals, and so it must be legal. the DEA is actually letting up a little bit lately and is a little more open to the idea of psychedelic research than they were 10 years ago. hopefully there will be some major, widely published studies in the near future.

if you're interested in psychedelic research, try reading, DMT: The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman. it's the story of his legal experiments with DMT (in the early 90's i think).

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
Re: Clandestine Psychedelic Research Revolution [Re: ]
    #1850875 - 08/26/03 11:14 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks. Is DMT still legal? It sounds interesting, from what I've read which isn't much. An even more profound experience than LSD, I can't imagine.

I'm just getting up to speed with McKenna's work. Good stuff. Is there a Mckennaesce figure active today? Who carries the torch?

Anonymous

#1851030 - 08/26/03 12:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

DMT was then and is still illegal. he had to go through all kinds of bullshit to get permission to do the study.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: Clandestine Psychedelic Research Revolution [Re: ]
    #1851132 - 08/26/03 01:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

there's all kinds of NEW research being done. look for the wired article about it, they're doing mushroom studies on OCD at uni of san deigo.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
Re: Clandestine Psychedelic Research Revolution [Re: Malachi]
    #1851298 - 08/26/03 02:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks mushmaster and Malachi. I found this y2k article Lucy In the Sky, With Therapists @ wired.com. The article focuses on MDMA. There are some good links too, it looks like.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,39796,00.html

Thanks again, that's the stuff. :smile:

If you have anything newer and/or LSD or DMT related, I'd love to see it.

edit: http://www.maps.org/ looks like another good starting place! :smile:

Edited by farfelu (08/26/03 02:35 PM)

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1851366 - 08/26/03 02:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Strassman's DMT research was actually done fairly recently I believe, like the late 90's. they injected it (weird).

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Terrence McKenna, pH Test Strips

General Interest >> Political Discussion