Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinebeam
Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! *DELETED*
    #1844879 - 08/24/03 04:54 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by beam

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: beam]
    #1844894 - 08/24/03 05:11 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Marijuana exacerbated your anxiety, now you think another drug may cure you? Firm grounding in sober consensus reality is the best solution for you at this time.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: Swami]
    #1844899 - 08/24/03 05:20 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i agree with swams, stay sober for 6 months or longer then see how you feel. try recording your attacks and see how less or more frequent they become, keep a journal and write whats going through your head at the times of these panic attacks. hope that helps a little.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
    #1845192 - 08/24/03 12:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

What Swami said! and CleverName.

Its a little bit clich? but Tim Leary's old saw about set (mind set) and setting really is important to remember. If you're bummin on things or suffer with "chronic anxiety," psychedelics are not a good idea.

I don't think this can be understated:

6b. State of mind

If you are depressed, annoyed at the world, sick, or just looking for a good time do not take psychedelic drugs. LSD and psilocybin are mental magnifying glasses, and if you already feel like shit you will merely spend the voyage groveling in your own insignificance and feeling even worse. The skilled voyager may be able to use this to his advantage and resolve a problem during the trip, but it's not pleasant and not recommended for beginners.

If, on the other hand, you are healthy, happy, and looking forward to the trip as a pleasant voyage to a far-off land you've always wanted to visit, you are in good shape. Happiness is magnified just the way anger and fear are.

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/faqs/psychedelic_experience_faq.shtml#6b

edit: fwiw: "Skilled voyagers" are rarer than hen's teeth.

Edited by farfelu (08/24/03 01:04 PM)

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: farfelu]
    #1845214 - 08/24/03 01:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I don't lend a lot of merit to the "healthy, happy" exclusiveness to psychedelic drugs. If healthy and happy are the only people who should be consuming psychedelic drugs, then the DEA has become obsolete, because all of us must cease using psychedelic drugs to fulfil our own ideals. Comparitively, Princess Di is just as maladjusted as Charlie Manson. In the grand scheme, we are all in the same boat. Certainly the mushrooms view us on a grand scale.

I don't feel psychedelic drugs discriminate against the notably maladjusted when it comes to imparting healing wisdom. When examining the core cause of maladjustment, one will find that therein lies most often a certain unrelenting resistence to accept something undesirable: be it one's self, one's life situation, the death of a loved one, a failure of life or of character, whatever it is that's weighting the mind.

Psychedelic drugs will certainly press on this resistence to accept things unfavored, and this is often where the situation gets out of hand. All of that energy is channeled by our self-deluding minds into some very negative fronts. From this can only translate terror, misery, despair, all manifestations of an existing unhealthiness that will not disappear without the awareness of the afflicted.

And that's where I feel psychedelic drugs have very powerful potential for disallowing the notably maladjusted to placate their misgivings with rationalizations and delusion. Something to which I'm sure we can all relate.

I won't advise you, beam, to double your dose and blast it all away. Taking psychedelic drugs specifically for the purpose of self-repair is probably not the best purpose to have in mind. First, cultivate a proper mindset of trueness, willingless to accept all aspects of yourself, your Self, your life and your universe. Once you're confident you've made an accepting attitude into an automatic response, consider a dose of psychedelic drugs. You'll find out just how wrong you were, and just how hung up you really are! (Laughs)

But that's okay, because you'd be willing to accept that too.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: Ped]
    #1845850 - 08/24/03 06:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The following is typed by Ped's girlfriend:

i think it is most important to have a relaxed and open mind. As has been said before, a closed mind is truly a wasted thing. if you were to go into the trip relaxed, basically loving yourself, and willing to receive and examine any suggestion or wisdom the mushrooms impart, i think then, for sure! mushrooms can be used to heal and help yourself. surely, as was said above, experience is a major aid in this.
good luck!

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: Ped]
    #1846849 - 08/25/03 12:06 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I agree with them. ^^^ I've had problems with depression, OCD and addiction to the bad drugs (coke, speed, painkillers) and tripping has been a really helpful tool for confrontation and amelioration of those problems. if you have trouble keeping things positive while tripping, try taking a small dose of e, like half a pill or a pill.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

OfflineGanjaManDan
Blazin' Phatties
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: Malachi]
    #1847140 - 08/25/03 01:55 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I believe tripping off of psychedelics has the potential to help the person realize what they are truly doing to themselves and give them a new insight to their life...

Offlinebeam
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: GanjaManDan]
    #1847329 - 08/25/03 03:36 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for all the input i appreciate it. To clear things up i have tripped over 10 times, and only had one bad trip which turned out to be good anyways. I always have fun trips, nothing bad ever happens except for that one time. I also don't do them to heal my self, although i have tried on one other occasion where it didn't work.

Another thing is i am very true to my self, i know what my problems are and i have a good mind about situations, but when it comes down to those situations i am stopped by nervouseness and sometimes panick, and that is basically a brick wall in my life

Another question is should i purposely confront my self with the thought that freaked me out last time and again calm my self down. And what are some good ways to confront my thoughts and battle them.

Malachi i have has e many times but only in social situations, i have heard that it can help confront problems and even fix them, but the thing is someone i know who takes them a bit, not heaps and not a lot has got anxiety too.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1847343 - 08/25/03 03:46 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

oh yeah, e won't help your anxiety one bit, I'm suggesting you use it to mellow out the intensity of the shroom trip. yeah, e is bad for anxiety. the insight possible on shrooms though are worth it, and if some e helps to keep you positive, it's worth it. at least for me anyway.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Offlinebeam
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: Malachi]
    #1847433 - 08/25/03 04:34 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have tripped the night after having a pill, and i can tell you the come up was pretty weird.

How exactly has shrooms helped you with your problems, i am interested in it helping OCD as that would be a bit similar to what i have in my opinion.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #1848973 - 08/25/03 06:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think you're better off trying it w/o drugs, but if you must E is suppost to be good for Post Traumatic Stress. I would say, remeber this is based on nothing except my opinion, stay sober for a while, try all the 'natural' thing people say would usually help (yoga, meditation, etc) keep talking to the psycologist, if you dont get better then I'd say try this:

Go in one day and tell him that you're going to go in after not sleeping 2-3 days or something because some friend said it helps unlock mental crap so when you come in even if you act strange he should still help you solve your problems. Or you could make up any excuse that would make him help you even fucked up. Then make an extra long appointment. Go in like 1.5hrs after taking a roll or two and eat shrooms just as you go in. You'll be uncovering who knows what for an hour on the roll and then the shrooms will kick in and you can focus on the same problem with him.

If this doesn't help you out try getting a prescription anti-anxiety and slowly lower your dose on your own. Then when you get anxiet it'll be mild and you can over come it, eventually you'll be off it and in full control of your self.

Everything typed above is to be used at your own risk. Normally I would tripping w/ mental problems is a bad thing but since you and two other people said today it helped w/e. Hopefully you'll get past this. Good luck!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #1850674 - 08/26/03 07:45 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You are exaccerbating your symptoms with drugs. Moreover, you did not mention that you had a drug problem, among the disorders you did mention, and you are clearly a poly-drug [ab]user. You need to get clean and sober in order to establish mental health. The application of psychedelics to analytical psychology is not a do-it-yourself technique. Expert guidance has always been the hallmark of psychedelic psychotherapy. I recommend that you read some of Stan grof's work to help you integrate useful psychedelic experiences that you have already had - not merely take additional substances.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinebeam
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1850688 - 08/26/03 08:06 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, i've read some other recent posts in this forum you have made eg hypnosis and you know what your on about. I do have a drug habbit (smoking weed), not that bad i only do it a few times a week but i am quite addicted to it, but its hard to stop when you are constantly surrounded by it at home, when you go out, all your friends do it. I have stopped before, the only way i can and i did stop is by isolating myself which is another cause of my anxiety, in that time my anxiety did go down to the stage i'm at now, but in this time i was quite depressed and bored.

I have stopped smoking lately, and i am aware of what got rid of the anxiety (post) on the last trip. All i want to know is what i should be thinking about and how i can induce a significant enough episode to change my perception of fear. After all these replies, i am convinced that shrooms probably arn't the best way to go, however i still havn't reconsidered it.

Edited by beam (08/26/03 08:14 AM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#1851963 - 08/26/03 05:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Fear has an object, anxiety is free-floating. Fear is rooted in the Root Chakra - it is basic instinct - it protects the biological organism from threat (e.g., gunfire, tornados, etc.) Anxiety is a state of uneasy apprehension of uncertainty, of which life is full. It is what is called an 'existential malaise.' Soren Kierkegaard wrote about it is 'Fear and Trembling: The Sickness Unto Death.' Kierkegaard is considered by some to be an early Christian Existentialist, who spoke about the despair (and anxiety) that results from a life lived without faith in God.

Faith in God leads to religious experience, which is the only real treatment of addiction. The 12 Step Programs outline this nicely. Addiction may be seen as the bondage that is diametrically opposed to spiritual freedom - the freedom from enslaving desires and compulsions.
Freedom from desire is the Buddhist solution, but the Christian solution considers this path to be only prerequisite for the further step which relies upon the grace of God. This goes far far beyond a childhood notion of an Old-Bearded-Guy-in-the-Sky. It acknowledges that Ultimate Reality is AT LEAST personal, yet utterly transcends the personal God. In short, it means that prayer is very real - not just Petitionary prayer, but Intercessory prayer for others, prayers of Thanksgiving (Gratitude) and Contemplative prayer (which Eastern faiths call meditation). It is the life of faith that results in a diminishment of fear and anxiety as one opens oneself to the Eternal Presence. True love dispels all fear. If Entheogens have not been able to transmit these teachings, then they are not useful to you and will just turn out to be obstacles to a healthy, happy and holy (whole) life. Other drugs just cloud or distort one's crystalline perception. While fun at first, a life that matures spiritually has to put away childish things for the most part, so a life that is seriously attached to such things is way off Center.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1851995 - 08/26/03 06:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Faith in God leads to religious experience, which is the only real treatment of addiction.

I've had what is equivalent to a religious experience, but I don't believe in God. As far as the addiction treatment.... bullshit. The 12 step program is a crap way of dealing with addiction. It doesn't treat the addictive personality (the REAL problem), it merely transfers the addiction from drugs to religion/god. Addiction is a mental cycle. Breaking the cycle is the only cure... but treatment programs aren't designed to cure people... just to make them feel like they have a disease.

Fuck that.

Sclorch out.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: Sclorch]
    #1852220 - 08/26/03 07:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Very informative, serenely objective, and rife with years of treatment experience. It's nice to know that someone with your depth of insight and altruism is here to encourage and support troubled individuals. I am particularly smitten by your poetic use of expletives, like "Fuck that." - so... how shall I put it...expressive and convincing.

Whatever you think you had as "equivalent to a religious experience," is neither equivalent, or a religious experience. A religious experience is a profound experience which has a radically determining effect on the experiencer's life. There is no equivalent, and it is completely evident to me, at least, that you have never had a genuine religious experience because one's very life becomes the extension and manifestation of such an experience. What you do evidence is a great deal of anger and adolescent language; and a selfish propensity to interfere with someone else's ability to listen to well-intentioned pastoral counseling.

--------------------

InvisibleMiddlemanM
melomaniac

#1852468 - 08/26/03 08:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:lol: way to lay the proverbial smack down, Markos...   

Invisiblefarfelu
Stranger
    #1852550 - 08/26/03 08:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

beam, you say:

"Basically i have chronic anxiety and also mild Post Traumatic Stress. I have had these conditions for about 2-3 years now. Marijuana had a big effect on and i beleive helped bring these conditions on. It isn't too bad but at times it can get pretty bad eg. panick attacks, and a lot of negative thoughts that haunt me, that i can't really control at all."

and then in regard to whatever it is you're anxious about:

". . . but essentially i do know just not at the time."

I'm curious. What is it that you do know, just not at the time?

Offlinebeam
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: farfelu]
    #1853786 - 08/27/03 03:37 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Farfelu, i do know what it is that i'm worried about, but in my thoughts in everyday life i don't think about these things they just linger in the back of my mind and pop out to greet me when the time is right and usually at the time i don't know why but i do know most of the time, if i have a panick attack that when i start thinking about problems and can't stop until i'm full on panicking.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology