Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1854957 - 08/27/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Markos, Markos, Markos... okay... we'll do this asynchronously...

A religious experience is a profound experience which has a radically determining effect on the experiencer's life.
Right.

Whatever you think you had as "equivalent to a religious experience," is neither equivalent, or a religious experience.
Wrong. I said equivalent because there was nothing RELIGIOUS about it. It had a great effect on my life.

There is no equivalent, and it is completely evident to me, at least, that you have never had a genuine religious experience because one's very life becomes the extension and manifestation of such an experience.
You'll have to take my word on this, but I have the exact dates of these non-supernatural-yet-mystical moments.

What you do evidence is a great deal of anger and adolescent language;
I find such "adolescent language" to be the linguistic equivalent of an emoticon (also, I don't know which emoticon would best represent "fuck that").

and a selfish propensity to interfere with someone else's ability to listen to well-intentioned pastoral counseling.
Good intentions pave the road to hell.
Look, I don't agree with what you think is a good treatment for addiction (read: I think the 12-step program sucks). Would that not make me decidedly UNselfish for informing others of the shortcomings of said treatment?

*shoves a bar of soap in his mouth to make Markos feel better*

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: Sclorch]
    #1855224 - 08/27/03 02:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Good. But spit out the residue and don't swallow or you'll THEN get real diarrhea.

And BTW, 12 Step programs DO work (my only published journal article was on this). Bill W. translated his LSD experiences into a very Yoga-like series of steps that theoretically and potentially do lead to a range of religious experiences. He originally visited C.G. Jung and asked him how to treat addiction. Jung told him religious experience was the answer. He returned to the US and began a series of LSD treatments which worked for Bill, who then wanted to turn on the world. The government wasn't interested in this in the '50's either, so he did the next best thing and translated his insights into a step-discipline like so many Catholic mystics had. See chapters 23 and 24 of 'Pass It On: The Story of Bill Wilson and how the A.A. Message Reached the World,' Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc., N.Y., 1984, if you decide to change your mind.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Healing mental problems with Shroom trips! [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1855412 - 08/27/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Correction: 12 Step programs CAN work (I have plenty of anecdotal examples that show that they haven't worked). And you're side-stepping my point (no pun intended).

1. Does the 12 Step program CURE the addiction itself?
2. Or does it merely transfer the addiction onto something more acceptable (ie. God/religion)?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag