Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid?
    #16579260 -

Yesterday I had my first drug offender class session and the drug propaganda lady was listing all substances in Schedule 1, saying they have no medicinal value.

Someone asked why there is medical marijuana in other states then, if marijuana has no medical value, and she says that marijuana does not technically have medical value because it can treat symptoms, but it does not cure any disease.

However, is this true, and if so, does that necessarily mean marijuana has no medical value?  I'm no expert and don't want to make any hasty assertions, but I suspect that's what a lot of medicines nowadays do - they treat symptoms but do not cure diseases, sort of like prescription opiate painkillers... :confused:


--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Celestial Traveler] * 4
    #16579273 -

Name a drug out there that cures disease.

The entire pharm industry is built upon ongoing/daily treatment drugs. That lady is an idiot and you should donkeypunch her.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16579276 -

Looks like a ad-hoc definition that splits a hair in order to maintain consistent beliefs.

Pain killing is medicinal value.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #16579335 -

The Ecstatic said:
Name a drug out there that cures disease.

The entire pharm industry is built upon ongoing/daily treatment drugs. That lady is an idiot and you should donkeypunch her.



:whathesaid: plus just grasping at straws here but it cures nausea and loss of appetite, especially good for Leukimia patients.


--------------------
                                    PC Repair and Troubleshooting Forum

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.
                                                - Thomas Jefferson

                    Si peccasse negamus fallimur et nulla est in nobis veritas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16579340 -

Celestial Traveler said:
Yesterday I had my first drug offender class session and the drug propaganda lady was listing all substances in Schedule 1, saying they have no medicinal value.

Someone asked why there is medical marijuana in other states then, if marijuana has no medical value, and she says that marijuana does not technically have medical value because it can treat symptoms, but it does not cure any disease.

However, is this true, and if so, does that necessarily mean marijuana has no medical value?  I'm no expert and don't want to make any hasty assertions, but I suspect that's what a lot of medicines nowadays do - they treat symptoms but do not cure diseases, sort of like prescription opiate painkillers... :confused:




You cant be serious. By her definition all of western medicine is a joke, and has no place within medical treatment.

Sounds like an ignorant dumb fuck. Do you know how many pharmacuticiles we have that dont cure ANYTHING, but are used to simply treat the symptoms? Almost every fucking one aside from antibiotics. Dont listen to her bullshit


--------------------
Hippies and Liberals love Pope Francis, so why dont I quote him for you guys. "There is NO SALVATION outside the Catholic Church" :morningtoke:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16579355 -

'drug propaganda lady' would be the first clue...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: DieCommie]
    #16579378 -

DieCommie said:
Looks like a ad-hoc definition that splits a hair in order to maintain consistent beliefs.

Pain killing is medicinal value.



:thumbup:
You should have brought up benzos, and opiates. Not schedule 1.
They certainly don't CURE anything.. they do alleviate pain / anxiety.
They don't cure. Most drugs do not cure. They just temporarily fix. Which is why you have to keep taking them..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Cyclohexylamine]
    #16579625 -

tymoteusz3 said:
DieCommie said:
Looks like a ad-hoc definition that splits a hair in order to maintain consistent beliefs.

Pain killing is medicinal value.



:thumbup:
You should have brought up benzos, and opiates. Not schedule 1.
They certainly don't CURE anything.. they do alleviate pain / anxiety.
They don't cure. Most drugs do not cure. They just temporarily fix. Which is why you have to keep taking them..



That's what I thought.  I was pretty confident in thinking that she was full of shit (obviously I knew she was full of shit) but I was just asking to make sure that I could safely argue that most medicines DO treat symptoms and don't actually cure the disease.


--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16579660 -

lol OP, I'd have torn her a new one. But then again, I probably wouldn't have found myself in your situation to begin with :shrug:

You might like to bring up anti-viruals for the treatment of things such as herpes and HIV next time though. That'd shut her pie hole.


--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Dawks] * 2
    #16579675 -

Quote:
lol OP, I'd have torn her a new one.



I'd just smile and nod.

You have to pick your battles and its best not to battle on the opponents turf with the opponents rules.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #16579699 -

The Ecstatic said:
Name a drug out there that cures disease.

The entire pharm industry is built upon ongoing/daily treatment drugs. That lady is an idiot and you should donkeypunch her.






Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Cefazolin, Tri Sulfamethoxazole.  You're statement is way off base sir.  There are a lot of variables on types of diseases and what has the ability to treat/cure/prevent them.


Polio is all but wiped out.  Whooping cough is preventable and can be wiped out as long as vaccines are given.


--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

  Edward Abbey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16579703 -

Technically, MJ does not have an "established medical use", because it does not meet the legal and regulatory definitions of these.  It's a legal thing.

Most of the studies done with MJ are teeny tiny, and in very specific subpopulations of users.  This is much different than approved drugs, which have demonstrated an "established medical use" through studies involving hundreds (if not thousands) of patients.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16579728 -

There were other people that were arguing with her about marijuana legalization, and stuff like that.  Nothing bad happened to them, and I don't think I would have gone to jail or been fined or anything like that.  I just saw futility in trying to convince a paid drug-propaganda person that their propaganda was bullshit.


--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Celestial Traveler]
    #16579740 -

Anyway, I'm in support of drugs being legalized on the basis of "established recreational value."



--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: Almond Flour]
    #16579788 -

Real CA Milk said:
Celestial Traveler said:
Yesterday I had my first drug offender class session and the drug propaganda lady was listing all substances in Schedule 1, saying they have no medicinal value.

Someone asked why there is medical marijuana in other states then, if marijuana has no medical value, and she says that marijuana does not technically have medical value because it can treat symptoms, but it does not cure any disease.

However, is this true, and if so, does that necessarily mean marijuana has no medical value?  I'm no expert and don't want to make any hasty assertions, but I suspect that's what a lot of medicines nowadays do - they treat symptoms but do not cure diseases, sort of like prescription opiate painkillers... :confused:




You cant be serious. By her definition all of western medicine is a joke, and has no place within medical treatment.

Sounds like an ignorant dumb fuck. Do you know how many pharmacuticiles we have that dont cure ANYTHING, but are used to simply treat the symptoms? Almost every fucking one aside from antibiotics. Dont listen to her bullshit



Exactly. I don't think id be able to even argue w her tho, i just break out laughing.


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: The_Ghost]
    #16579830 -

Make her go  :waaaaaaargh:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: blackhawk]
    #16579906 -

So why is Marinol manufactured and prescribed?

Ask her that question

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: 1EyeCries]
    #16579922 -

Some lady at the inpatient treatment center I went to stated marijuana causes permanent brain damage. Her proof? Tommy Chong. I am dead serious. That is when I walked out. People there argued with me that it does. No one seemed to understand that a one person example is not a valid argument. No different than saying everyone in the middle east is a muslim terrorist, look at Bin Lauden.

She also said there is no difference in heroin addicts and cancer patients physically dependent on prescription opiates.


--------------------

Edited by fuel on the fire (07/24/12 01:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: fuel on the fire]
    #16579955 -

fuel on the fire said:
Some lady at the inpatient treatment center I went to stated marijuana causes permanent brain damage. Her proof? Tommy Chong. I am dead serious. That is when I walked out. People there argued with me that it does. No one seemed to understand that a one person example not a valid argument. No different than saying everyone in the middle east is a muslim terrorist, look at Bin Lauden.



I learned many years ago that arguing or even getting annoyed with people like that is an utter waste of energy. Why bother discussing brain damage with people who dont have enough brain to damage in the first place. :shrug: It might be worth it if they are still teenagers, but when adults have such an outlook they tend to be a lost cause.


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Is this Anti-MMJ argument valid? [Re: fuel on the fire]
    #16579964 -

fuel on the fire said:
Some lady at the inpatient treatment center I went to stated marijuana causes permanent brain damage. Her proof? Tommy Chong. I am dead serious. That is when I walked out. People there argued with me that it does. No one seemed to understand that a one person example is not a valid argument. No different than saying everyone in the middle east is a muslim terrorist, look at Bin Lauden.

She also said there is no difference in heroin addicts and cancer patients physically dependent on prescription opiates.



Some people are just morons brah.  Gotta accept that fact.


--------------------
Funny Video              Pokemon But With Animals Instead              B

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* arguments against abortion? blacksabbathrulz 737 14 10/06/05 03:50 PM
by Captain Loafy McPoopdick
* WILDERNESS PROGRMAS AND RESIDENTAL TREATMENT HELL *DELETED*
( 1 2 3 all )
ZippoZM 4,910 44 07/17/03 03:03 PM
by Purple Haze
* VALID medications delta9 1,280 16 02/13/05 01:21 PM
by delta9
* Are these symptoms of ADD/ADHD? Limelight 1,134 4 07/09/06 04:58 PM
by Konnrade
* What happens when drugs are legalized? ( DEA arguments) Annom 2,167 4 09/08/04 03:42 PM
by BleaK
* treatment for ADD
( 1 2 all )
Liquid_Dimension 2,813 33 09/15/06 04:55 AM
by apfrommsp
* "Parents...the anti-drug"
( 1 2 all )
FreeLaws1_6 3,479 26 01/23/05 02:22 PM
by Le_Canard
* Shroomery Anti-Semitic and Anti-Israel Sentiment
( 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 all )
Dimmy 19,670 207 11/12/14 07:40 PM
by Cj-B

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,834 topic views. 7 members, 24 guests and 110 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.