Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |  [ show all ]
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: AlphaFalfa]
    #14777598 -

What about natural cure nonsense? Echinacea for colds and gingko biloba for brain function are two examples pushed for decades by people like yourself because of mountains of anecdotes and the desire to return to nature. Fairly recent carefully done research shows no effect for either. None. Zero.

Big bad pharma strikes again!

In a published study of 200,000 people over a decade released a few months ago, vegetarians had a 1% reduction in cancers and other serious illness vs. omnivores. Significant, but nowhere near the 20+% number oft-touted by people promoting certain dietary lifestyles.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14777656 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
What about natural cure nonsense? Echinacea for colds and gingko biloba for brain function are two examples pushed for decades by people like yourself because of mountains of anecdotes and the desire to return to nature. Fairly recent carefully done research shows no effect for either. None. Zero.

Big bad pharma strikes again!

In a published study of 200,000 people over a decade released a few months ago, vegetarians had a 1% reduction in cancers and other serious illness vs. omnivores. Significant, but nowhere near the 20+% number oft-touted by people promoting certain dietary lifestyles.



Most people who are vegetarians do not eat healthy vegetarian food. A vegetarian can eat pizza all their lives and still be considered a vegetarian.

It's vegetable/fruit/nut/fish intake that we have to look at and there is incontrovertible evidence that shows of the preventative effects of these foods when included into diets, with particular mention to raw foods.

I've posted them dozens of times.

But you buddy, you don't understand science and how to interpret scientific findings.

I am honestly fed up with trying to show you where your holes in your interpretation of research is.

Finally, I never said anything about echinacea, I am not a proponet of supplements besides probiotics/vitamins.


--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: AlphaFalfa]
    #14777664 -

Your posts on science are so :facepalm:.

:fonda:


--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: AlphaFalfa]
    #14777699 -



Here is an interesting commentary of a trucker who went on a raw food diet and wheatgrass; he healed cancer, diabetes and lost over 200 pounds.


--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: johnm214]
    #14778874 -

Quote:
I wouldn't think 109 years is an indefinite bulb



It's still burning...

Anyway, there is evidence that longer bulb lifespan was discouraged. Check out The Light bulb Conspiracy.



If planned obsolesce is true, then some science is taboo for some.

Edited by Rahz (07/16/11 08:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: Rahz]
    #14779073 -

Rahz said:
Quote:
I wouldn't think 109 years is an indefinite bulb



It's still burning...

Anyway, there is evidence that longer bulb lifespan was discouraged. Check out The Light bulb Conspiracy.



If planned obsolesce is true, then some science is taboo for some.




Planned obsolescence is definitely true and what can you expect in a society that gives corporations and thus most scientific exploration/inquiry and understanding the same rights as individuals??

Freedom of expression, anything goes.


--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: Rahz]
    #14779315 -

Yes, metal fatigue is a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Bend a spoon back and forth a few times and report back.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14779475 -

Quote:
Yes, metal fatigue is a conspiracy.

Bend a spoon back and forth a few times and report back.



I never suggested that someone might create a spoon with infinite bendability. I would suggest that someone might play around with different materials to create a more bendable spoon. It's within the realm of possibility that a spoon could be made so bendy that after many lengthy bending sessions it's still bendable. Do we send it to market, or continue bending the spoon so we can say with some certainty that it lasts X number of times. Time is money. And if spoon bendability was considered a feature, these people might pause and consider that making the product too well would end up leaving them with fewer repeat customers.

It is a minor point in the argument anyway. The main point is that manufacturers restricted the life of light bulbs to sell more. If you had watched the video, you can see the various evidences of this being so. That made the science of long lasting light bulbs taboo in that industrial sector.:shrug:

It is not difficult to see why the direction of science avoids more durable products in favor of larger profits.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: Rahz]
    #14779510 -

So incandescent companies, some that have been in business over a hundred years, have voluntarily gone under rather than build a better product. Does this truly make sense to you?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14779593 -

Not truly, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. There could be agreements involved that make your suggested strategy less viable.

And there is GM: Instead of making a product better, let's provide some incentives! Doh, bankrupt.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: Rahz]
    #14779606 -

The incandescent companies had like 8 years since the introduction of CFLs to release their 'secret' formula incandescent filaments in order to compete, but wanted to go broke to fuck with conspiracy people on the interent. :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14780058 -

True, but incandescent bulbs aren't green. No point in betting on a dead horse. They can justify a premium price for the newer bulbs, thus negating possible profit loss, and save the consumer money on the electric bill.

Anyway, you're in the wrong time period. The agreements to restrict lifespan occurred earlier in the last century. That is the evidence the video points out. Things may have changed, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: Rahz]
    #14780135 -

Now you are shifting your argument once again. Nothing like honest discussion.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14781034 -

No I am not shifting my argument. I suggested that light bulb lifespan was discouraged. According to the evidence I have provided, IT WAS. Did you review the evidence? You didn't comment on it so I assume you didn't. How long should I spend on light bulbs after providing evidence you refuse to examine? This isn't a light bulb conversation it's a taboo science conversation. I think you simply dislike the fact that if something was true at one point in time, then your precious theory that nothing is taboo in science can be seen to be false.

But hey, let's shift again. Speaking of light bulbs, how about Edison? According to him AC was dangerous and should be avoided. - Taboo!


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Edited by Rahz (07/17/11 10:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: Rahz]
    #14781078 -

That movie wasn't about light bulbs. :mad:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: Sly Stone]
    #14781097 -

Much of it was. :shrug:

It's a movie about planned obsolescence.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: AlphaFalfa]
    #14781215 -

Could you point out where in this latest round of posts (or any of the others, for that matter) you address the point and back up your claim that science is harmed and rendered false or unusable, due to these biases you mention?  I don't see where you've ever even made an argument for this position, let alone demonstrated it to be true.  How can you be so sure there's some problem in science of the type you claim if you can't even explain how it manifests, let alone prove it?

AlphaFalfa said:
Here is an interesting commentary of a trucker who went on a raw food diet and wheatgrass; he healed cancer, diabetes and lost over 200 pounds.



What's interesting?  If you eat grass or grain like a damn horse and you are morbidly obese, you probably will loose weight.  Anyone dropping 200 pounds will see a marked reduction in type II diabetic symptoms, and plenty of people 'heal cancer' all the time.  None of this is unusual.


Rahz said:
It is a minor point in the argument anyway. The main point is that manufacturers restricted the life of light bulbs to sell more. If you had watched the video, you can see the various evidences of this being so. That made the science of long lasting light bulbs taboo in that industrial sector.:shrug:

It is not difficult to see why the direction of science avoids more durable products in favor of larger profits.



How does some manufacturer desiging products to have a lesser lifespan/usefulness than possible demonstrate some taboo in science?  Making lightbulbs isn't science, its an application of science, like everything else.  While I imagine its trivial to show their marketers lied about what the product there were selling was and so forth, I don't see how some company introducting a limited lifespan is some relefaction on science.  The fact that they can even choose between the compromised or uncompromised filament is a testament to science and engineering.

btw, I and many others won't watch videos because usually they are drawn out with very little factual density and with bare claims that aren't supported, hence no more authoritative than if the poster had claimed it themselves.  If you go to the conspicray forum, you can find people who swear up and down some two hour video demonstrates anything under the sun- invariably its bullshit claims backed by spooky music and completely worthless, as are most youtube videos cited to prove a point.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: johnm214]
    #14781310 -

Quote:
The fact that they can even choose between the compromised or uncompromised filament is a testament to science and engineering.



Hardly a feat to restrict ones self to what has already been done. If you had watched the video, you would see that it wasn't a single company, but an agreement between manufacturers. There were bi-annual tests to insure no one was producing bulbs that were rated above the limit. It was taboo to produce light bulbs over the rated limits, therefore the science can be seen to be taboo as well. There may have been continued research, but that has nothing to do with whether something is considered taboo in certain sectors. It would be taboo to produce human/snake hybrids. That doesn't mean someone can't do it, but it does mean it will be frowned on by the majority.

As for the video comment, I presented the gist of my argument in text. If there is some doubt, the video is there. There is little more that I can do to make the case. If someone doubts what I have said, and are then unwilling to examine the evidence I present to back it up... their fault. :shrug:


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: johnm214]
    #14781591 -

johnm214 said:
Could you point out where in this latest round of posts (or any of the others, for that matter) you address the point and back up your claim that science is harmed and rendered false or unusable, due to these biases you mention?  I don't see where you've ever even made an argument for this position, let alone demonstrated it to be true.  How can you be so sure there's some problem in science of the type you claim if you can't even explain how it manifests, let alone prove it?

You really don't know how to read.

For the umpteenth fucking time!

There is no science on the RAW FOOD DIET and its curative effects on cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc.

I never claimed that science is rendered unusable. I have no problem with the scientific method, but the many interests that influence how the method is utilized(what is being researched, where the funds for the research are being allocated and the reporting of the researching)

AlphaFalfa said:
Here is an interesting commentary of a trucker who went on a raw food diet and wheatgrass; he healed cancer, diabetes and lost over 200 pounds.



What's interesting?  If you eat grass or grain like a damn horse and you are morbidly obese, you probably will loose weight.  Anyone dropping 200 pounds will see a marked reduction in type II diabetic symptoms , and plenty of people 'heal cancer' all the time.o  None of this is unusual.

Marked reduction?? Apparently you don't know the full story. This man does not have diabetes anymore. He reversed it, which is contrary to the medical health establishment that classifies the disease as currently incurable.


Your still not getting this. Yes cancer is healed some times, but this guy healed it with not even 1% the cost!!! The raw food diet and wheatgrass is a relatively cheap diet that at most would cost an individual 10-20 dollars extra per week to utilize. It will however eliminate the need for all types of pain killers/cancer drugs/chemo/radiation and even surgery.

Maybe your to dense to realize why this may be 'INTERESTING' when our countries second largest tax absorber goes towards medical care.

:rofl2:

:shrug:

You still can't see why it is interesting think that we could potentially cut medical costs on a federal level by over 60-70%????






Rahz said:
It is a minor point in the argument anyway. The main point is that manufacturers restricted the life of light bulbs to sell more. If you had watched the video, you can see the various evidences of this being so. That made the science of long lasting light bulbs taboo in that industrial sector.:shrug:

It is not difficult to see why the direction of science avoids more durable products in favor of larger profits.



How does some manufacturer desiging products to have a lesser lifespan/usefulness than possible demonstrate some taboo in science?  Making lightbulbs isn't science, its an application of science, like everything else.  While I imagine its trivial to show their marketers lied about what the product there were selling was and so forth, I don't see how some company introducting a limited lifespan is some relefaction on science.  The fact that they can even choose between the compromised or uncompromised filament is a testament to science and engineering.

btw, I and many others won't watch videos because usually they are drawn out with very little factual density and with bare claims that aren't supported, hence no more authoritative than if the poster had claimed it themselves.  If you go to the conspicray forum, you can find people who swear up and down some two hour video demonstrates anything under the sun- invariably its bullshit claims backed by spooky music and completely worthless, as are most youtube videos cited to prove a point.




--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: 'Taboo' Science [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14781614 -

OrgoneConclusion said:
What about natural cure nonsense? Echinacea for colds and gingko biloba for brain function are two examples pushed for decades by people like yourself because of mountains of anecdotes and the desire to return to nature. Fairly recent carefully done research shows no effect for either. None. Zero.

Big bad pharma strikes again!

In a published study of 200,000 people over a decade released a few months ago, vegetarians had a 1% reduction in cancers and other serious illness vs. omnivores. Significant, but nowhere near the 20+% number oft-touted by people promoting certain dietary lifestyles.




What happen orgone??

To scared to answer my post again, I see, I see.

I guesse it was pretty embarrassing after all.

It's expected that you never follow up on your rebuttals though. You seem primarily interested in upholding the scientific establishment with a zealous faith.

Funny how john24 doesn't even note that what OC lends no credence to anything relevant to my claim that the raw food diet is a diet that contradicts the mainstream scientific establishment.

On so many levels, the raw food diet would be amazing for us. It would save trillions in taxes and cut our deficit over 10 years to a potentially manageable level.

But what am I saying, those fucking politicians are in the pockets of these imbecils after all, who watch people suffer for their own profit.

Fuck em.


--------------------
if you ever feel lost, just remember, life is not a journey, it is entertainment, all 4 fun...


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Nihilistic Taboo SoulTech 2,222 17 10/08/04 12:06 PM
by MovingTarget
* Pseudo-Science Annapurna1 1,803 14 11/18/03 12:30 PM
by trendal
* Einstein A Father of Science Believed in GOD...
( 1 2 3 all )
BleedingSickness 6,365 42 10/07/02 02:00 PM
by Zahid
* Is science becoming more philosophical?
( 1 2 all )
Silversoul 2,661 22 06/23/06 12:36 AM
by SneezingPenis
* The Rhetorical Conception of Science
( 1 2 all )
bit_slice 2,062 30 12/15/05 12:27 PM
by bit_slice
* Exsistance is pointless... (prove me wrong, plz)
( 1 2 3 all )
ShrooomKing 4,911 45 04/22/11 08:20 PM
by jjdiggincrates
* Sexual Taboos
( 1 2 all )
Earth_Droid 3,221 24 01/02/04 04:03 AM
by fireworks_god
* Science isn't philosiphy?!?!?!
( 1 2 all )
gluke bastid 3,247 36 10/11/02 08:32 AM
by Anonymous

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
6,677 topic views. 0 members, 1 guests and 25 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.032 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.