Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dessicant

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesancho
mexican
 User Gallery

Loc: 20 floors below sea level...
rotting mushrooms (pics)
    #1436718 - 04/07/03 06:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well, after opening my mushies from the dessicant chamber, i found out that they were rotting (i think) they were placed in a box with a fan blowing a breeze through it, in a plastic bag air tunnel thing. the fan was powered by a 9 V battery, which gave out sometime during the night.  :shocked: . they were already a blackish-blue color, so i figured, bah, it must just be brusing. i then proceded to place them in an air-tight tupperware container. this afternoon, i looked at then. i knew something was not right the second i opened the box. it smelled putred *sp?* and dank. didnt smell right. i cut some appart, and they were mushy and a tannish-brownish color. are they alright to eat? i suspect there not. ive read every faq section multipul times, and still it didnt turn out right. any advice how to dry them out better? should i just by a converter that will the power the fan, and leave that on longer w/out it turning off? should i just place them infront of the computer fan, stacked on top of eachother, or spread out? what do healthy dried mushrooms look like? what color should they be on the inside and outside. also, could the brusing be part of the problem? if so, is there anyway to avoid them brusing while harvesting them? thanks. i was so looking foreward to trying these.  :frown: :frown:

some pics:

:confused: :confused:

--------------------
Drugs may be the road to nowhere, but at least they're the scenic route.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetaters
french fried

Loc: the garden
Re: rotting mushrooms (pics) [Re: sancho]
    #1436745 - 04/07/03 06:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

As you found out, sealing wet mushrooms in an airtight container will result in rotten mushrooms. Period.

You need to have those babies in front of a fan for 24-48 hours before putting into your desiccant chamber, depending on the size of the fruits.

Offlinesancho
mexican
 User Gallery

Re: rotting mushrooms (pics) [Re: taters]
    #1436830 - 04/07/03 06:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i just bought a 120v ac- 9v dc converter at radio shack. im planning (on the next batch) to fan them for 1-2 days. any advice how i should set it up? if i just place them on a towel and let the fan blow on them, wont one side not get dry (will they? there very small) and get all brused up (will they begin to bruse if you just lie them on a towel)? i was thinking about making a little rack and hanging them w/ a string individually, but there has to be an easier way. also, whats the point of a desiccant chamber if they've already been dried with the fan? what color, when you snap them in half, should the babies be? thanks

--------------------

Edited by sancho (04/07/03 06:55 PM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1437275 - 04/07/03 09:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ok.....I have one for you....they arent rotton but I'm supprised to see it happen....
a 50% colonized jar starts to contaminate...so Huck and Tom pull it from the incubator and decide to isolate it and find out what happens....well the growth of the mycelium stalled after a few days as did that of the contamination....about 4 months later .... BAM!! ....dont try this at home...it's only for the obviously insane....

Prisoner#1

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: rotting mushrooms (pics) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1437285 - 04/07/03 09:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

lay them on the towel and fan for 2-4 days should do the trick
says kramer

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1437308 - 04/07/03 09:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The best way to dry them in front of your fan is on a rack or a screen. My friend places an old window screen in front of a fan at about a 15 degree angle. He places the fresh fruits on the screen and the air blows all around the fruits drying them nicely.

The reason for the desiccant chamber is that it could take a week or more to get big shrooms COMPLETLY dry with a fan alone, if ever. But a day or two in front of a fan and a day or two with the desiccant and your mushies will be totally dry.

The color of my friend's dried fruits are shades of grey and dark blue but that's not important. As long as they are dry to the point of crumbling they are good to go.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinesancho
mexican
 User Gallery

Re: rotting mushrooms (pics) [Re: dog]
    #1437413 - 04/07/03 10:05 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

this may, and will, sound dumb, but its not bad to use 'em if theyve bruised, is it? thanks dog for your suggestion of using the screen. i think ill try that. my babies are very small, so i think fan drying them will work well. hopefully tasmanians are as visual as there supposed to be, cause they sure are small!  :tongue: . as long as their white on the inside, there fine to eat, right? no matter what color they are on the outside? my worst nightmare is getting horribly sick from eating rotten mushrooms... :tongue:. is there any way to tell if they are fine to eat? thanks

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1437431 - 04/07/03 10:15 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

if they are bruised it's fine....if it's something else like a mold or if they were improperly stored and had began to rot....dont....not unless you are already at the hospital....

Prisoner#1

Anonymous

Re: rotting mushrooms (pics) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1447584 - 04/10/03 07:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard ecuadors lose potency when fan dried...any truth too that?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dessicant

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation