Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
nanotechnology
    #1309455 - 02/15/03 09:03 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Recently we've been hearing more and more about nanotechnology, and how soon we'll be able to have little microscopic machines work inside of us to eliminate viruses, or repair cell structures and whatnot.

Lets assume we're several (many?) years into the future, and we've created nanomachines capable of building various things from basic elements.  Then we create nanomachines that can create themselves, as well as any other instructions they're programmed to do. 

Now what happens when the wrong people get ahold of this?  Someone creates a nanomachine capable of replicating, and distributes these among food... or beverages... or even the air.  People consume them, and then the machine continues to reside in it's host until the time comes to complete it's programmed instructions.  Shortly after millions (billions?) of people have a nanomachine (or millions or billions of nanomachines) residing within them, the White House gets a phone call.  The White House has a choice; either comply with the terrorist group's wishes, or millions of people will find out what these machines are programmed to do.

Now these machines are capable of a great many things, since they work at such a small level.  One fairly simple task is they all group together in a main artery, and voila!  Instant heart attack :crazy:  And I'm sure you can think of many more possibilities.

So what I'm trying to say is this:  sure nanotechnology is incredible.  But we need to be careful; with great power, comes great responsibility (and great opportunity for screw-ups).  And there's also this possibility to consider :smile:

Edited by fredthetree (02/15/03 09:05 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: nanotechnology [Re: fredthetree]
    #1309510 - 02/15/03 09:30 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Exactly. Every advantage has its disadvantage. The benefit to mankind would be greater, but so would the potential harm to mankind. This is balance. We would be faced with the possibility of eternal life or the possibility of eternal death.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1309532 - 02/15/03 09:41 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm guessing that over the next few thousand years, nanorobots will merge with life on earth to create a symbiotic relationship of sorts. Sort of like how mitochondria merged with early cells to provide energy and the mitochondira got shelter from cell walls. Perhaps with nanotechnology, we'll be able to think thousands of times faster if they reside in our brain and speed along and help organize our thoughts. They could evolve with us over time.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Re: nanotechnology [Re: bert]
    #1309573 - 02/15/03 10:02 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That's an interesting thought.  Although something about forming a symbiotic relationship with machines makes me worried.  Especially if we create an artificial intelligence to go with these nanomachines.

Although I like the idea of having something organize my thoughts for me :smile:
But then if I have a machine organizing my thoughts, would it be programmed to throw away certain thoughts?  And wouldn't it be quite capable of controlling our thoughts?  Sounds kinda scary :crazy: 

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1310783 - 02/16/03 12:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

What is the sense of looking in the future, why don't you ask that question now? What happens if the wrong people got a hold of nuclear weapons? You could even ask the question if you were a caveman. They had sticks and stones to beat each other savagly. You just have to have some faith in mankink to learn from our mistakes.

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1310784 - 02/16/03 12:18 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It just sounds to me like your afraid of change and new technology. Just think of the positive side of things, you are like a bio computer right now, on 7 tabs of LSD I could disregard any bad thoughts and only pick the ones that enabled a brighter more happier future for me.

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #1310858 - 02/16/03 04:09 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I would hope that we would have a sort of a "nanotech immune system" inside of us that would instantly kill any unauthorized nano machinery that enters out system.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Anonymous

#1310886 - 02/16/03 04:59 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i think in nanotech circles there is something called "gray goo". a huge swarm of self-replicating nanobots that simply "eats" everything in its path, reproducing and exploding its population exponentially. i think that the "nanobomb" will be the nuke of the 21st century.

Anonymous

#1310895 - 02/16/03 05:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Lets assume we're several (many?) years into the future, and we've created nanomachines capable of building various things from basic elements. Then we create nanomachines that can create themselves, as well as any other instructions they're programmed to do.

First we created highly advanced AI systems capable of learning.

We then cryogenically freeze all of humanity, and let the nanomachines create a paradise, genetically optimize all of humanities DNA using the incredibly advanced nano based computers that simulate human life to a T. Then we wake up, and live like gods.

Anonymous

#1310905 - 02/16/03 05:11 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

"science fiction" : in the 21st century, nanotechnology is fused with artificial intelligence in the creation of self-replicating, self-aware, super intelligent nanobots. these nanobots can communicate with eachother via radio and have a collective will. and they don't like people.

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: nanotechnology [Re: ]
    #1310909 - 02/16/03 05:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Look at the size of our processors though. It will be many years before nanobots are small enough and they will be small enough, we just need enough time to make them smaller. I've seen fully functional robots the size of a fingernail.

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: nanotechnology [Re: ]
    #1311042 - 02/16/03 07:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, it is so amazing how we are so close to that point.

OfflineLucidDreams
Soul
    #1311757 - 02/16/03 01:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I saw nice visions of the nanotech the other day.
It included vaccum-cleaning free floors made fully by nanodevices that opened up every now and then to eliminate all dirt.
And houses with flexible walls, and flexible interior "stuck" to the floor operated by integrated computer programs.
You could even run for example an "art-program" on one of these rooms and you could walk around in your own moving piece of art (the imagination of the programmer is the only limit).

Cool eh?

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Re: nanotechnology [Re: LucidDreams]
    #1311766 - 02/16/03 01:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That sounds pretty cool! :laugh: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Microscope

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology