Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMr Wobblehead
WizardExtraordinary &Absolute CocoaSlut

Loc: They tell me it's a hospi...
vegan poo
    #1193285 - 01/05/03 04:21 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I'm a vegan, so using animal turds is completely out of the question for growing shrooms on.

I was reading a post a while ago about the reason why human poo isn't recommended is that humans eat carrion and shrooms only like herbivore turds.  So i'm thinking, i'm a herbivore, so why not. :wink:

So i'm thinking that we should have a debate about the merits of vegans using their own poo to grow their shrooms on instead of exploiting animals and subsidising the meat industry by buying animal poo.

Would you eat shrooms grown on vegan human poo..
Yes
No

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 05:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr Wobblehead

Re: vegan poo [Re: Mr Wobblehead]
    #1193287 - 01/05/03 04:22 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Would you eat shrooms grown on carrion human poo..
Yes
No

InvisibleMr Wobblehead

#1193290 - 01/05/03 04:22 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Would you eat shrooms grown on animal poo...
Yes
No

And please, add a few comments as to your choices.

And remember, this is for posterity, so try to be honest. :cool:   

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1193367 - 01/05/03 04:45 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

While not a fecophobe I would suggest COMPOSTING first. In fact, I want to one day compost all my shit....

Check out this post....it WILL change your life.....

http://www.weblife.org/humanure/default.html

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1193513 - 01/05/03 05:24 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Do you really believe that there is something wrong with using an animal's poo, or are you just avoiding this because it goes against what has been laid out to you as the vegan rules?

There is no need to lump yourself into one catagory. If you see something that may not really count as "vegan", but doesn't seem morally wrong, then why bother adhering that strictly to the rules?

Then again, perhaps you honestly believe that it's harming an animal to take its poo.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineLarrythescaryrex
teardrop on the fire
Male User Gallery

Loc: further down the spiral
Re: vegan poo [Re: Phluck]
    #1193550 - 01/05/03 05:33 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

poo fertilizes corn feilds sometimes.

--------------------
RIP Acidic_Sloth

Sunset_Mission said:
"larry the scary rex
verily scary when thoroughly vexed
invoke the shadows and dust, cast a hex
mercifully massacring memories masterfully
relocate from Ur to 8th density and become a cosmic bully
mulder and scully couldn't decipher his glyphs
invoke the shadows and dust, smoke infernal spliffs"
April 24th 2011

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1193932 - 01/05/03 07:17 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Another good example of the kind of irrationality subscribed to by many vegans.

Please note that I didn't use the word "all."

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Trusted Cultivator
    #1193974 - 01/05/03 07:35 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Using animal poo isn't exploiting anything... they shit anyway, it's natural.

And unless you eat nothing but grass and grains and I wouldn't suggest trying to use your own feces to grow shrooms. The foods we eat contain many preservatives, chemicals, and such. It won't work.

I mean.. you can try it if you want...

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1194215 - 01/05/03 10:09 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

It won't work. There are several micro organisms and bacteria that exist in our intestin tract, they exist independently of your diet habits and they are not good for growing mushrooms. It has been tested and it doesn't work.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleMr Wobblehead

Re: vegan poo [Re: MAIA]
    #1194247 - 01/05/03 10:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, to reply to several people at once.

To Phluck...

I don't follow any rules.  I don't care what other vegans think or do, i do my own thing for my own spiritual and moral reasons.  I don't want to buy animal products of any discription because it subsidises the meat industry.  The less animal shit that is paid for, the more expensive meat becomes, the less people will buy, the less animals will suffer the horrifying fate you carrion eaters will subject them to.  So saying that the animal shits anyway is grossly ignorant of the bigger picture.

To Larrythescaryrex and Sclorch...

As for animal poo being used on vegetable crops anyway, I know it is.  But where it is possible for me to identify and eradicate these sources i will do so.  I am only one person and i can only do so much.  Further to this i am renting some land and have embarked upon an effort to grow all my own food in an entirely vegan and organic way.  It's not irrational at all, it's about doing what little i can to help nature endure.  While i can't do everything, i will do as much as possible - which is quite rational, if you ask me.

To shroomism and Maia...

I only eat fruit and seeds, and drink tea made from raspberry leaves - none of which destroys any plants even.  As for all having the same organisms in our digestive tracts, i believe that you are very mistaken.  The organisms that live in the digestive tracts of a carrion feeder would not survive a day in my gut. 
Quote:

It has been tested and it doesn't work.

Would you care to give some details of this?  The straw and vegan poo i innoculated with millet rice and wheat spawn four days ago is half colonised already.  In fact, i have never seen mycelium looking so healthy, so i think you're talking out of your arse on that one (pun intended). :laugh: 

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Trusted Cultivator
    #1194254 - 01/05/03 10:56 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I think this would be better suited in advanced cultivation, judging from the direction it's taking.

--------------------

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: vegan poo [Re: Shroomism]
    #1194308 - 01/05/03 11:51 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

ever think of the acidic content in human fecal matter?
PS- does playing with your own shit sound more appealing then playing with cow's shit?  Thats just dirty  :tongue:
Get the cow shit, its completely natural and no animals were harmed in the process

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1194457 - 01/06/03 01:53 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You might be able to get something to grow, but the digestive tract of a human is just a different character than that of a cow, or other ruminant despite what is put through it.  Poking through a cowpie [which I do often, just for fun] you see that a lot of what is there looks pretty close to what went in.  A lot more mashed and processed, of course.  Humans just can't eat as much raw cellulose as these guys can, and a significant percentage of good dung substrate IS cellulose in nature.  I've seen vegan shit before, and it still smells and looks like human excrement.  It's compact, etc.  To be fair, it doesn't stink -as much-, and vegans in general are better-smelling people.  [all body parts :wink: ]

*however*, if your holy feces were to be mixed with an appropriate substrate, e.g. shredded pasteurized straw, I think it would work;  But again, that would work without the poo as well.

I am an essential 'aquatarian', and I only eat high 'R-value' fish [prolific breeders, sustainably harvestable as long as the environment is there], low on the foodchain, like sardines.  I appreciate everything you have said about sustainability/organics.  But fish are so damn good  [and don't have any feelings]  :smile: 

Certainly give this a shot; It would be fascinating to see it done.  Like I said, you'll likely have to alter the structure of the turd significantly, make it more airy/cellulose-rich.  And as you would with the other dungs, it would have to be dried out first.

We have a very active worm bin going at the house here. . .worm castings might fit your needs?  As a vegan I bet you could keep a colony happily producing.  They're also right in line with sustainability thought. 

InvisibleMr Wobblehead

Re: vegan poo [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1194487 - 01/06/03 02:18 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ever think of the acidic content in human fecal matter?

I stopped taking acid years ago. :laugh:

And stop generalising.  This is not about human poo it is about vegan poo. 

A good healthy digestive system should nutralise all stomach acids that have been used for digestion.  This is clearly happening in vegan digestive systems as is demonstrated by the extremely rare cases of digestive tract disorders in vegans as opposed to the extensive problems in carrion feeding human's digestive systems.  In other words, the colostomy ain't my bag! :tongue:

Quote:

PS- does playing with your own shit sound more appealing then playing with cow's shit?

Not only does it sound more appealing, but i wouldn't play around with cow shit if you paid me to do so.  The fucking diseases cows carry are appalling.  Brucelosis, E-coli, BSE, what more do you want?  These are animals that eat there own shit, they even eat other cows if that is what they are fed.  And you want me to grow my shrooms in their waste, fuck that!

And you obviously didn't bother to read my earlier post.  Cows are harmed by people using their shit.  Using any animal product makes the meat industry more profitable and therefore more animals end up suffering the horrifying and degrading conditions that they are subjected to just to satisfy your taste buds. 

InvisibleMr Wobblehead

Re: vegan poo [Re: Suntzu]
    #1194504 - 01/06/03 02:29 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Certainly give this a shot; It would be fascinating to see it done. Like I said, you'll likely have to alter the structure of the turd significantly, make it more airy/cellulose-rich. And as you would with the other dungs, it would have to be dried out first.

What i did was wet the barley straw and shook the excess water off, put it in a cooking bag, done a poo into it, sealed it, mixed it up and pressure cooked it for an hour.

Once it had cooled it emptied a jar of colonised rice, millet and wheat grain spawn into it and mixed it all up again. I then got a sterilised ten inch terracotta pot and put a two inch casing layer of sterilised bark and peat compost/fine sand/vermiculite in the bottom, i put the poo/straw/spawn mix on top of that and place it in the grow chamber with a dark lid on to colonise. I have to say that it is doing amazingly well as half of it is colonised after four days.

Once it is fully colonised i'll put an inch casing layer of the compost/verm mix on top of that and go for a fruiting and see what happens then. I'll certainly report back with my findings.

Offlinedefthreat
xxx
 User Gallery

#1194620 - 01/06/03 03:46 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

dude...let me get this straight.

???Your gonna grow shrooms off your own shit? Well when you pasteurize your own shit in a pot you better tell the guests you have over for dinner the next night what you cooked in it.  :confused: kinda weird man. So go get some horse shit and just ask the horses if you can take their shit if it makes you feel any better. :tongue: 

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#1194634 - 01/06/03 11:01 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

"These are animals that eat there own shit..."

Wow, that is disgust..............wait a second

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
    #1194652 - 01/06/03 11:06 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

How is going to a farm and asking for some poo encouraging the meat industry?

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

OfflineComa of Souls
kunt whore

Loc: Vancouver island, British...
    #1194663 - 01/06/03 11:08 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

would it still be uhh morally wrong or watever if you go tthe poo for free? there are many places you can get poo for free if you look around, or what about the horses that pull people aropudn on those carriages they arent going to get slaughtered and eaten. would it be ok to use their poo?

--------------------
im a weeeeezel look at me *weeze* *weeze*

Offlinedefthreat
xxx
 User Gallery

Re: vegan poo [Re: Coma of Souls]
    #1194691 - 01/06/03 11:25 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Well...I hope he enjoys shitting in his fruiting tubs. HEY!!! Maybe you can do a pictorial in the Grow Log forum of you bobbing for turds in your toilet then pasteurizing them!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom