Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineozzyozzyozzy
Australian
 User Gallery

Will a fan + desiccant in an enclosed area dry shrooms more effectively?
    #11141684 - 09/28/09 02:52 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I fucked around with a storage tub and managed to fit a small fan into it along with a tub of damp rid and a mesh colander.

The colander has one mushroom in it (more to come once more veils tear) and the box is about 95% airtight.. there are a couple small gaps, but its nothing that would allow the passage of a lot of air quickly.

Here are some photos:

The mushroom colander is top left (I didn't put it in for the open photo, but it's there when the lid is closed). It's not directly behind the fan, nor is the desiccant (back bottomright), but I figure there's gotta be so much air moving around in such a small enclosed space that it's effectively pointed right at it and going full blast.

Is this going to work to dry my mushrooms faster and more efficiently/effectictively? Or am I opening myself to potential trouble by recycling the air (should I drill some holes in the lid?) and having it in such an enclosed space...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebotanisthype
P$ylocibe$ounDW@vE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: DECEPTICON MANOR
Re: Will a fan + desiccant in an enclosed area dry shrooms more effectively? [Re: ozzyozzyozzy]
    #11141975 - 09/28/09 06:15 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Ummmm if the fanis enclosed it would not work you would have to either face the fan away so vents the air effectively And have a mush behind the fan or you can just take the fan out and point it at the mush.... Butly some damn rid and just stuff them in there and itll be dry after a evening ... Its only 11 bux at homedepot or etc.

--------------------
Please +REP if i've been of any help... thanks!!!

Dinosaur of the Funny Family, though I have short arms, they fit in my GB... lol

Offlineozzyozzyozzy
Australian
 User Gallery

Re: Will a fan + desiccant in an enclosed area dry shrooms more effectively? [Re: botanisthype]
    #11141997 - 09/28/09 06:28 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I have damp rid in there?

And if it's not an enclosed space there's no point putting damp rid in there...

Invisiblearp180
student of life
 User Gallery

Loc: Macondo
Re: Will a fan + desiccant in an enclosed area dry shrooms more effectively? [Re: ozzyozzyozzy]
    #11142173 - 09/28/09 07:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

better yet, if you plan on continuing the hobby, buy a dehydrator

--------------------
"Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain."  William Faulkner

"That which exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."
-A quote from the Judge in the novel Blood Meridian; or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy

"Let there be light" My Quick Reference Guide to Lighting
My AutoMono (11oz First Flush)
My Monster Mushroom Mono (9.3oz First Flush)

OfflinewalletJoker
AspiringPsilophile
 User Gallery

Re: Will a fan + desiccant in an enclosed area dry shrooms more effectively? [Re: arp180]
    #11142338 - 09/28/09 08:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

make sure you fan dry first for a day or two before trying to use damprid or any other desiccant or you will end up with a big pile of worthless blue mushies.  I have heard that a fan inside an airtight container of desiccant can speed up the process but really by the time they are ready for desiccant it really doesn't take to long and shouldn't matter too much.  I don't use desiccant anymore since i got my dehydrator.

--------------------
xxx..I Learned Something..xxx

"The greater the intelligence of a person, the greater his capacity to do the most stupid thing imaginable."
    Chinedu Nebo (of the Ebo tribe of Nigeria)

Offlineozzyozzyozzy
Australian
 User Gallery

Re: Will a fan + desiccant in an enclosed area dry shrooms more effectively? [Re: walletJoker]
    #11145110 - 09/28/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

im planning to move to gourmet mushrooms after this so a food dehydrator is a bit out of my price range for a one-use item

I don't understand the problem with having it in an airtight container with damprid, nobody's really explained the pros and cons as far as I can understand..

OfflinewalletJoker
AspiringPsilophile
 User Gallery

#11145442 - 09/28/09 06:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well its like this

your fan and desiccant box will work just fine as long as you fan dry first.  if you try to stick your fresh ones right in the box the damprid just cant pull enough of the moisture out fast enough and they will start to bruise really badly until the point of worthlessness. 

to fan dry, i just have a box fan that i lay flat (elevated on bricks for airflow) with a screen mesh where i place them right after picking.  they sit there for a day or two until they have lost almost 80% of their weight approximately

The damprid is for removing that last bit of moisture and getting them cracker dry. 

Adding the fan is supposed to speed up this finishing process but it never took more than a day or two with the desiccant for me anyways.  Although I suppose this is highly dependent on the ratio of mushroom to desiccant. 

Also, you really dont want any gaps because if it is not airtight you will have a hard time pulling all of the moisture out of the air and really drying them out.  I think this is more important than the fan. Make sense?

Edited by walletJoker (09/28/09 06:09 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies