Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Calcium Chloride, Dessicant, Silica Gel

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineManzarek
Stranger
did i fuck up drying? (shrooms/paper/dessicant)
    #1163161 - 12/22/02 07:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all, Please help me out.
question about dessicant. i screwed up drying because i was in a rush and moving at the time. i had less than half air dried shrooms and stuck them in a container with dessicant. dessicant on the bottom, then a suspended paper towel, then the shrooms (again, they were still quite wet, only had been air dried for like 4 hours). in the process of moving, the paper towel fell onto the dessicant. so the shrooms were only seperated from the dessicant by the paper towel, which became wet. so am i fucked? they were like that for about 7 hours. i am now air drying them for the proper amount of time and then will put them back into the chamber with dessicant, this time with a more secure barrier between the shrooms and the dessicant. so the paper towel was wet and the dessicant underneath started clumping together - there must have been some mixing of shrooms and dessicant - do you think the shrooms are still safe? how toxic is dessicant?
thanks a lot, i know there's lots of stuff floating around about how toixc dessicant really is, but i was wondering what people thought about my specific situation.
Manz

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: did i fuck up drying? (shrooms/paper/dessicant) [Re: Manzarek]
    #1163166 - 12/22/02 07:40 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Depends on what kind of dessicant. Silica gel is non-toxic.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #1163174 - 12/22/02 07:43 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i actually think your fine. desicants just pull in the moisture out of air. just allow them to fan dry some more as most desicants won't take in alot of water. the clumping u are seeing is from desicant getting moisture and the wet towel is from the moisture coming from mush to desicant. fan dry longer then reuse with desicant and u should have grade a cracker dry. fan dry for 24-36 more hours.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineManzarek
Stranger
Re: did i fuck up drying? (shrooms/paper/dessicant) [Re: socratesmind]
    #1163202 - 12/22/02 07:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i can't remember the type off hand, but i don't think it's silica gel. it's the kind that looks like a bunch of little white balls.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #1163255 - 12/22/02 08:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well apparently i didnt answer your question thoroughly enuff.
http://orgchem.colorado.edu/safety/MSDS.html
that site is a link to the material safety data sheets that can be searched. u can use the name off the back of the container of your desicant.
http://orgchem.colorado.edu/hndbksupport/drying/drying.html
this above url for names of varities of desicants along with pictures and technique in using them.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineManzarek
Stranger
Re: did i fuck up drying? (shrooms/paper/dessicant) [Re: socratesmind]
    #1165705 - 12/23/02 07:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

alrght, the dessicant i'm using has calcium chloride in it. i did a search on that site and it doesn't sound like it's very good for you to ingest at all, even though that's probably sizeable quantities of pure calcium chloride. but it doesn't sound like it's worth the risk. it says skin contact can cause irritation, and i definitely felt that when i touched the wet paper towel that the shrooms were drying on. so it's crazy to pretend that it didn't get on the shrooms and its foolish to think that it won't have an adverse effect, even though there's no way that that small a quantity would pose any real danger. but even if it did induce just mild stomach pains, that's not what you want when tripping. i'm just gonna scrap the mushrooms.
thanks for the help,
manz

Offlineajg2425
farmer

#1166215 - 12/24/02 04:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thats a good question, theres only one way to find out :wink: 

--------------------
http://www.erowid.org

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Calcium Chloride, Dessicant, Silica Gel

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation