Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsychedelicious
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Jar lid tek - no need for glovebox during inoculation?
    #11126021 - 09/25/09 02:49 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I've been thinking about the self-sealing jar lids lately, and am wondering about the need for a glove box. I myself have one, and have done my first inoculations with the glove box and sterile techniques. Anally sterile, in fact! However, wouldn't the following lid tek negate the need for still air?

Basically, you'd have tyvex under the lid, then the lid with four small holes punched, then another layer of tyvex.. and one of the four holes would be the self-sealing RTV silicone port. You'd place an alcohol soaked cotton ball over the RTV port, and inject your flame sterilized needle right through the cotton ball and the RTV, into the jar.

I cannot really understand how a contaminate could penetrate you jar this way. The alcohol soaked cotton ball would both cool the needle as it entered, and prevent any contaminates from somehow against the odds landing on your cooling needle and surviving its way -somehow- through the RTV port..

Contaminates would have to get through alcohol, rtv, and two layers of tyvex seperated by still air to make it to your spawn.

It'd be nice to work in relatively clean open air with this method. Any thoughts as to how it could fail?

--------------------
<metatron> i dont think the surface area of a mushroom is quite ideal to administer psychoactive compounds anally

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNoOneKnowsHowToAct
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Jar lid tek - no need for glovebox during inoculation? [Re: Psychedelicious]
    #11126047 - 09/25/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

FWIW: I'm a noob, but I use lids with RTV silicone ports and a tyvec disk on top sealed down of course. Did 6 jars in open air. Flamed the needle and wiped it with an alcohol soaked paper town on its way into the rtv port. I had 0 contams.

--------------------
Winner of 2 of TacoHerder's 2 cultivation contests!
Most recent contest posts:
inoculation
Ready for spawning
Substrate done colonizing
Pins
Pins #2
First flush

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Jar lid tek - no need for glovebox during inoculation? [Re: NoOneKnowsHowToAct]
    #11126065 - 09/25/09 02:56 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, if everything else is good, you don't need a glovebox.
It's useful at first though. And you'll want one later anyway, so you might as well go ahead and make one and try it out.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflinePsychedelicious
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Re: Jar lid tek - no need for glovebox during inoculation? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11126114 - 09/25/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I got one. I plan on using it with my same overly anal techniques for G2G transfers and strain isolations after I get some growth going here on these first jars.

It's just a pain working in it when not necessary. Heh!

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

--------------------
<metatron> i dont think the surface area of a mushroom is quite ideal to administer psychoactive compounds anally

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
Re: Jar lid tek - no need for glovebox during inoculation? [Re: Psychedelicious]
    #11126452 - 09/25/09 04:04 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

i just made one for the first time 2 weeks ago they are not nessisary and have never used for jars just agar, getto to just a cardbord box

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies