Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBullfrog1
Discovery BeyondImagination

Salute to our veterans.....
    #1041638 - 11/10/02 06:51 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I may be tooting my own horn here but, oh well! Just about all the men in my family including myself, are veterans. My father served in Vietnam. My stepfather served in Korea. All my uncles served in WWII and myself in Desert Storm. Looks like we're ready to go again if that A-hole Saddam doesn't submit.
No matter what your feelings are concerning present policies, we Americans owe a great debt to the men who served in WWII. That probably applies to the Europeans too. I know that our Canadian friends too, have many veterans. Anyone know when the Canadian one is?
Anyhow, I'll be at a ceremony tommorow donning my dress uniform and helping the older and disabled vets in a parade.

Bullfrog1

A Company 4/101st Aviation BDE
101st Airborne Division

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlu Spore
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Salute to our veterans..... [Re: Bullfrog1]
    #1042042 - 11/10/02 10:34 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think some wars are justified like world war 2 but some wars seem like they are products of a country going on a power trip. I dont think the war against Saddam is needed at this point in time. The US doesnt even know for sure if hes building super weapons ,harboring terrorists or whatever you cant just attack somebody because you suspect them of something. You cant use this way of thinking in every day life ( you cant hit somebody because you thought they might do something) so why in this situation. I read somewhere that saddam couldnt reach the US with weapons anyhow. I also noticed something about the way the media controls things. When the sniper was shooting up DC all the papers , news shows only talked about that and the war issue was put on the back burner. Now the sniper thing is over and poof the war talks are back on..its called propaganda. Im not a US hater I just think that there might be other was of solving this. I live in Canada by the way.

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#1042057 - 11/10/02 10:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sorry we don't welcome serious threads round these parts.

heh but you know, here you are, a veteran and descendent of veterans, and your government would like to put you in jail for substances you've chosen to put in your body. That's fucked.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #1042083 - 11/10/02 10:59 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

> Anyhow, I'll be at a ceremony tommorow donning my dress uniform and helping the older and disabled vets in a parade.

Good for you! Helping our older and disabled vets is very important! Our vets deserve more support than they get at times. Regardless of the politics of the times, it is a high calling to serve one's country. As someone who enjoys the freedom and benefits from the sacrifices made by veterans such as yourself, I salute you! :cool:

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1042962 - 11/11/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"Veterans day" in the U.S. falls on the same day as "Remembrance Day" in Canada...It is a national Holiday and generally everyone gets at least a half day off to attend memorial ceremonies (although very few actually do) It is common for everyone to wear a symbolic poppy in memory of the many Canadians who died in both world wars...and a poem is often read aloud by school children...It is about the areas of Northern France known as Flanders and Picardy, which saw some of the most concentrated and bloodiest fighting of the First World War.

There was complete devastation. Buildings, roads, trees and natural life simply disappeared. Where once there were homes and farms there was now a sea of mud - a grave for the dead where men still lived and fought.

Only one other living thing survived. The poppy, flowering each year with the coming of the warm weather, brought life, hope, colour and reassurance to those still fighting.

John McCrea, a doctor serving with the Canadian Armed Forces, was so deeply moved by what he saw in Northern France that, in 1915, in his pocket book, he scribbled the following verses:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Offlinecroftsk
cupcake

Re: Salute to our veterans..... [Re: Papaver]
    #1042965 - 11/11/02 09:32 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

remembrance day today here in the uk! already had our one minute silence

--------------------
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes.
You are free. - Jim Morrison

OfflineShroomSkin
Liberty or Death

Loc: Don't Tread on Me
    #1042971 - 11/11/02 09:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I wish people would start doing something about all the homeless vietnam vets. Its not right they get treated like shit by citizens when they come back from war, and then their own government that they fought for won't even help them. I have a deep respect for war veterans.

--------------------
---
Stay gold.

OfflineBullfrog1
Discovery BeyondImagination

Re: Salute to our veterans..... [Re: Papaver]
    #1044182 - 11/11/02 05:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Papaver. I'm not a warmonger, just a citizen who used the military to help with my education and repaid them with my service.
I also did my share of tree-hugging, but will kick ass when I need too. :grin:

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Salute to our veterans..... [Re: Rono]
    #1044298 - 11/11/02 06:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Wow Rono!

I swore I was just going to make one post today but I had to comment on yours too.

That was great, man.  I already had a lot of respect for you but your stock just went up again.

Hats off to Rono (my great piece of head gear too :wink:

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #1044405 - 11/11/02 06:51 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Bullfrog Im sure your very proud of your family history I know I would be! And my hats off to all the vets who served and especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Even more of a pleasure knowing you too my friend! Any Screaming Eagle is a friend of mine!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
    #1044787 - 11/11/02 09:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you sir!  Thanks to all veterans.  You paid the price of admission for me. :smile: 

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: Salute to our veterans..... [Re: Blu Spore]
    #1045781 - 11/12/02 08:49 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

We aren't going to attack until we do know. That's what the inspectors are for.

The ball is in Houssaine's court now.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineShroomSkin
Liberty or Death

Loc: Don't Tread on Me
Re: Salute to our veterans..... [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #1045819 - 11/12/02 09:20 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think we're going to war with Iraq. If we are, Bush is a fucking moron for talking all this shit. Usually when you attack someone, you don't want every goddamn person in the world to know so they won't be prepared for it. And what happened to this shit about tracking down Bin Laden? I still wanna see his body parts scattered all over those damn caves!

--------------------
---
Stay gold.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom