Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOutThisLife
Male

Loc: 127.0.0.1
Needles.
    #10203014 - 04/20/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

So my friend brought home extra needles, and she works w/ sterility all the time and gave this suggestion:

To inject a jar w/ 2cc of spores, then throw out that needle and use another one. Repeating between jars for maximum sterility.

She says that contams/junk can easily build up in the needles themselves, and burning doesn't really do anything but burn the junk - which you're putting into your jar.

Would changing out needles between jars be a good idea? Sounds foolproof to me haha.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

Re: Needles. [Re: OutThisLife]
    #10203044 - 04/20/09 05:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Would be a huge pain in the ass and you wold go through a shit ton of needles. If you were doing alot of jars you would go insaine. I have re-used my needles alot. Before i use it i soak the needle tip and cap in alcohol, then flame it before ever injection. Worked great so far!

OfflineOutThisLife
Male

Re: Needles. [Re: Noobey]
    #10203052 - 04/20/09 05:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well the process is actually simple, since they snap on and off the syringes relatively easy. I don't open the case where the needle is until I'm in position to quickly inject.

I don't know if this is even the main source of contams within the jars though for this to really make a difference.

Offlineoh_you_know
lsd <3
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oh, USA
    #10203060 - 04/20/09 06:00 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

depends if you have to buy all the needles or if your friend can just get a bunch from work for free

--------------------
My Journal

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

#10203067 - 04/20/09 06:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Trust me it would be a pain in the ass. Have you knockedj ars up before. Think about it 4 needles per jar. Thats just dumb.

OfflineNoobey
Noob tube
 User Gallery

#10203076 - 04/20/09 06:04 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I would kill my self if i was knockin up like 25 jars especially in a gove box.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10203089 - 04/20/09 06:07 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Trust me, when you flame a needle white hot, its sterile wether or not there is still burnt junk in the needle.

Nothing will survive the temp of a white hot needle, nor a red hot needle. And i say white hot because i dont use a regular flame. I use a blotorch that gets the needle white hot.

Having a little bit of burnt junk getting into your jars inst any concern as its sterile, its different in the case of using needles in animals and humans which could be disasterous,.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineOutThisLife
Male

Re: Needles. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10203111 - 04/20/09 06:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

1 needle per jar, doing rye.

I get it though.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #10203118 - 04/20/09 06:16 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I think your friend is full of shit and I'm betting she's a nurse. When it comes to your human body the standards of what is sterile and what kinds of organisms can contaminate the body vs your cakes is an entirely different field. Does she think your using them for heroin or something? Also you should likely get the kinds of needles you find at an agriculture supply store. Big long thick gauge needles are particularly important with liquid cultures. I can confidently say I've never had a contaminant in my needle.

Now for how your friend is wrong. When you flame sterilize your needles to red hot it expels liquid in the form of steam as well as heating any contaminants. The practical effect is that the heat kills and the germs are expelled by the expanding steam anyway. Some organisms like viruses that can survive the the heat and the steam expulsion could infect your blood but non if any of the contaminants of mushroom substrates is in those list of contaminants.

Your friend may be a good at their medical job but trust me on this all the experts swear by flame sterilization of needles.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineOutThisLife
Male

Re: Needles. [Re: ScavengerType]
    #10203198 - 04/20/09 06:34 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

^ dentist actually.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #10203396 - 04/20/09 07:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

same thing though they inject drugs in a medical capacity and that isn't the same as what's going on here.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

InvisibleMEEZIE
Incognito

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Needles. [Re: ScavengerType]
    #10203482 - 04/20/09 07:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I would seem like a wase of time, money, effort considering the flaming you needle between shots is a standard procedure that seems to works for everyone. I think it is just one of those things that would be completely not needed, and just be the extra hassle.

InvisibleMEEZIE
Incognito

Re: Needles. [Re: MEEZIE]
    #10203491 - 04/20/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Wow i cant spell for shit. Anyways, atleast your head is in the right state of mind as far as being sterile. IT couldnt hurt, but i wouldnt think you need it at all

OfflineOutThisLife
Male

Re: Needles. [Re: MEEZIE]
    #10203707 - 04/20/09 08:08 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I get all the sterilization equipment for free, along with Birex which apparently can kill HIV so says the packaging :-p

It's whatever, the process is incredibly simple to switch needles the way they have them set up. I get 50 of em' free, why not? :]

InvisibleMEEZIE
Incognito

#10203719 - 04/20/09 08:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Then why not. If you have the extra time, and arent digging deeper in your pockets, go for it. Im sure it wouldnt hurt any, but how many jars do you typically knock up at a time? Im sure it will get fustrating when you get into the teens+. For me it would

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures