Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The whole flaming the needle.. [Re: gsmith]
    #3856690 - 03/02/05 10:33 AM (19 years, 21 days ago)

I Wipe the needle between jars, and the spot I inject and inject through the swab. I do four jars quickly, set the syringe down, and throw on two bandaids cut in half (grain jars, 1 hold each)..flame the needle and go again.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
Re: The whole flaming the needle.. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3857451 - 03/02/05 01:38 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

i do four jars/noc one injection site, never flame, only wipe w/ alcy and spray a good shot of lysol neutrair

i use an internal tyvek filter, and once the hole is punched in it, i just take a coffee filter and rubberband it around the jar, and all done

i use WBS now though (2cc's per 1/2 pint) through one hole, cover w/ the filter and then shake well to move around the spores, GL

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: The whole flaming the needle.. [Re: SoK]
    #3857619 - 03/02/05 02:17 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

well.. this is what has worked out for me- it's the flaming/wiping advice i got when i started.

i flame to begin with. i wipe every 2-3 jars. i use an alcohol wipe or soaked cotton ball to cover the injection site and inject through that with each hole. seems to work just fine.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: The whole flaming the needle.. [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3857884 - 03/02/05 03:17 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

I never flame... Ruins the needles IMO...
I just wipe with alcohol and it is good to go.
I have not flamed a needle in years.

If I ever start to experience higher than normal failure rates, perhaps I will return to this old technique. Although IMO it is unnecessary if the syringes were clean and nothing was stabbed with the needle. This holds true when one makes their own syringes as well. One usually starts out with sterile syringes, and any contaminants are usually introduced during the syringe making process. I would bet 99.99% of the time if contaminants are in the needle, they are in the syringe as well. Flaming would be futile in this situation...

I prefer to recycle things whenever I can. Needles are one thing I do not like to buy. Hence the reason why I do not flame. Most people will say it does not hurt to take the extra precaution, and to an extent this is true. However, heat is bad for healthy spores, and it is very easy to get carried away with that flame. Remember, one end is attached to plastic and will melt and distort...

I say flame once, before you start with a new spore syringe (if you must flame).
Then use Isopropyl alcohol wipes between jars.

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The whole flaming the needle.. [Re: ATWAR]
    #3858001 - 03/02/05 03:39 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

ATWAR said:

If I ever start to experience higher than normal failure rates, perhaps I will return to this old technique. Although IMO it is unnecessary if the syringes were clean and nothing was stabbed with the needle. This holds true when one makes their own syringes as well. One usually starts out with sterile syringes, and any contaminants are usually introduced during the syringe making process. I would bet 99.99% of the time if contaminants are in the needle, they are in the syringe as well. Flaming would be futile in this situation...

I prefer to recycle things whenever I can. Needles are one thing I do not like to buy. Hence the reason why I do not flame. Most people will say it does not hurt to take the extra precaution, and to an extent this is true. However, heat is bad for healthy spores, and it is very easy to get carried away with that flame. Remember, one end is attached to plastic and will melt and distort...

I say flame once, before you start with a new spore syringe (if you must flame).

Reading this thread was bringing me to these conclusions..not much flaming of the needle going on with some people. I think I will try it out. I definatly will flame once from vendor syringes or recycled needles, but beyond that I dont really think its gonna make a difference.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The whole flaming the needle.. [Re: ATWAR]
    #3858055 - 03/02/05 03:48 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

ATWAR said:

I never flame needles anymore either...I haven't in years.
I just wipe the needle with a cotton ball and Isopropyl Alcohol.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: The whole flaming the needle.. [Re: Roadkill]
    #3858119 - 03/02/05 04:02 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

And if your that concerned with airborne contams, the rapid tempature changes would cause mass to expel and retract in the needle. On a minute scale, but more of a threat to contams than wiping, I would think.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder