Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Oysters, coffee grounds, and liquid culture
    #990809 - 10/24/02 09:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have some oyster liquid culture (note: not spore solution). Growing oysters on coffee grounds has interested me and I just started drinking coffee again, so it's appropriate to try it.

I'm thinking I could probably get away with direct innoculation of the grounds with liquid culture? Any comments? If none, I'll try it :smile:

I'm also curious as to what the mushrooms metabolize caffeine into....or are traces of caffeine present in the mushrooms? I seem to recall someone saying that the mushrooms do actually take on a slight coffee odour and taste -- is this true, or is it just their close proximity to a fairly strong smell that conjours up this notion?

TIA.

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
Re: Oysters, coffee grounds, and liquid culture [Re: psyconaut]
    #1013839 - 11/01/02 06:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It should work for you. Liquid inoc. on to coffe ground has worked for me. Good luck!

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Re: Oysters, coffee grounds, and liquid culture [Re: r05c03]
    #1013865 - 11/01/02 06:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I've also been told you should use fresh grounds? I'm guessing the acidity is good....

I'd pondered stockpiling coffee grounds for like a week....

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

OfflineGao
Irie Hombre
    #1013996 - 11/01/02 07:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hrmmm...I doubt the acidity is good. Most mushrooms do better in a slightly alkaline substrate. If you've ever had bacterial contams, you'll notice how the mycelium has trouble colonizing areas where a lot of bacterial growth has occured. Frequently, this is because the bacteria acidify the substrate to a point where the mushroom is unable to survive. I wonder what the pH of fresh coffe grounds is, anyway?

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Re: Oysters, coffee grounds, and liquid culture [Re: Gao]
    #1014036 - 11/01/02 08:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Black coffee has a pH of about 5. Stamets' supplemented formula generally has a pH of about 5.5-6.0 according to GGMM.

I will admit that oysters like substrate that's midly basic (7.5-8.5pH)....but then you've got things like shiitake that relish slightly acidic conditions for mycellial growth and even more acidic conditions for fruiting (in the range of pH4.5!). Heck, even oysters are acidic by the time they get to fruting.

-psyco

--------------------

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Re: Oysters, coffee grounds, and liquid culture [Re: Gao]
    #1015296 - 11/02/02 10:18 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

No man. Bacteria do not like acid conditions, and when populations of bacteria start getting high enough to make condition acidic they start limiting their own growth. Fungi do much better in acidic conditions than do bacteria. One way to cut down on bacterial contams in agar when you are isolating strains is to a lower the pH to 4 or 5. The fungi will grow faster than the bacteria under those conditions.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1016550 - 11/02/02 09:15 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

that only occurs when they make it too acidc. what species are you growing on arar at ph 4? not to say that you're wrong but that i'm now confused.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (11/02/02 09:15 PM)

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Re: Oysters, coffee grounds, and liquid culture [Re: canid]
    #1017812 - 11/03/02 09:07 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I do not grow on agar at pH 4 I isolate. I work with the fungus that causes take-all on wheat, Gaeumannomyces graminis var. tritici. You isolate strains from infected roots. When you do this you have to deal with lots of contaminants. Aside from using antibiotics, a cheap way to do this is use acidified water agar. The low pH and nutrient inhibit bacterial growth, but the pathogen usually has enough energy to grow into the agar and at that point you can isolate pure cultures and start using normal agar recipies.

Bacteria may acidify things to a certain degree, but I do not think that most of them can acidiy substrates very far below what fungi are capable of. Fungi natuarally acidify substrates during nutrient acquisition. Bacteria do however produce may other compounds that inhibit fungal growth.

--------------------

OfflineGao
Irie Hombre
    #1019900 - 11/04/02 02:59 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Haha, well, you think you know some shit...

I lied in my bio, I'm not a researcher, I'm a student who works in a lab and wishes he was a researcher. I do however work on Lactobacillus species, which super acidify their medium. You're right tho, most inhibition of fungal growth in bacteria infested regions is from bacterial metabolites. I remember my boss telling me about the old days of screening for wild yeasts by using an acidified medium, which excluded bacteria. Thanks for schoolin'!

Gao

Offlineaural
Hola Amigos!
Loc: The Desert In The Spring
    #1020431 - 11/04/02 10:37 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

I'm also curious as to what the mushrooms metabolize caffeine into....or are traces of caffeine present in the mushrooms? I seem to recall someone saying that the mushrooms do actually take on a slight coffee odour and taste -- is this true, or is it just their close proximity to a fairly strong smell that conjours up this notion?

I'm not sure what the metabolic product is,but the mushrooms do break down the caffeine.So I doubt that the mushrooms become caffeinated!

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Re: Oysters, coffee grounds, and liquid culture [Re: aural]
    #1032468 - 11/07/02 02:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Caffeinated mushrooms would be kinda fun ;-)

I just innoculated this morning's coffee grounds with some fairly old yellow oyster culture. We'll see what happens.

-psy

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms