Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Help ID a mushroom Revised new gill info
    #989342 - 10/24/02 10:47 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I have zero experience identifying mushrooms , so please bare with me . I have read the needed post . I am missing some data , and will try to add more over the next few days to this post . I have some good photos , and some basic info .

a) Habitat -- Is in the desert southwest , growing on a mixture of horse dung , hay , with a little worm castings and earth mixed in .

b) Gills --  white to creamy  ? gills only run on cap not touching stem ? pores  none 
I am vague in this area , mush is small I keep picking before developed , tryin to prevent it dominating this patch . Was going off dried mushie when I said dark brown to black gills , sorry . :frown: hangs head in shame

c) Measurements -- 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch this is guess stem , is very small maybe1/8 inch thick , they are tiny

d) Color of stem -- looks white , texture-- smooth ? semi hollow , fiborous ? , thin walled .

e)Cap characteristics -- color-fawn brown ? tapering to cream on the edges , conical have not seen one open up all the way . Small ridges on the outside of cap , very shiny looking surface , kinda slippery to the touch .

f) Spore print -- none yet will try .

g) Color of bruise -- none noticable , but after a couple of hours they dry up quickly and turn dark brown .

h) Scent -- hard to tell they are so small , I do not want to snort them , but earthy maybe mushroomy .

Here are some photos I took , very close up so you can zoom a little .
Click on thumbnail to zoom in they are good photos .

Hope this was enough .
Thanx  :cool: 

The only data at this point that was changed was the gill color .  :frown:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (10/24/02 03:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletripndicular

Re: Help ID a mushroom [Re: tripndicular]
    #989433 - 10/24/02 11:39 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Is this forum only for ID ' ing "active" mushies ?
Please help me .
Did I give that poor of a data sheet ? :confused: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisiblekaal-kopje
the season is upon us..

Loc: below sea level
    #989445 - 10/24/02 11:46 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

looks like some kind of coprinus to me.

http:\\www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lounge/3110/genera/coprinus-disseminatus1.jpg

(copy and paste the link to your browser)

Edited by kaal-kopje (10/24/02 11:55 AM)

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Help ID a mushroom [Re: kaal-kopje]
    #989457 - 10/24/02 11:52 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Toxic , non toxic ?
Will they affect growing P.CUBES mycelium ?
This patch was innoced with Thais , have never seen mushies in this part of property till this patch was made about 2 weeks ago . I know they are not the species hoping for .
Thanx for the reply .

--------------------

Invisiblekaal-kopje
the season is upon us..

Loc: below sea level
    #989470 - 10/24/02 12:00 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

if it is coprinus they are not posionous unless you drink alcohol after or before you eat them..
Then you will get some nasty stomach cramps, rapid hardbeat etc.
No idea if it inhibits the cubensis mycelium..

OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
    #989489 - 10/24/02 12:11 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

In reply to

"pores ???"

Some mushrooms have pores intead of gills un the underside of the cap. They look like a sponge. The pic below shows this well.

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #989545 - 10/24/02 12:33 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Its a Coprinus for sure, not toxic unless you drink alcohol up to a week after eating the mushroom. Don't know what effect it would have on cubensis mycelium.

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: Help ID a mushroom [Re: Gumby]
    #989588 - 10/24/02 12:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

my bet the coprinus in this case is a contam of the straw. most likely it will take over the cubensis mycelium, particularly if temp is not optimal (coprinus likes it colder than cubensis)

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#989626 - 10/24/02 01:13 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

The oval cap points to Coprinus.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Help ID a mushroom [Re: comario2]
    #989733 - 10/24/02 01:54 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanx every one . As far as pores .......there are none definetly has gills .
Alot of mycelium (p.cubes) was thrown in the patch at time of innoc . It was milo/milllet fully colonized and some agar that was not the best but healthy .
I spose I should learn to pasturize hay before using , even in outdoor application .
I hope my babies have the strength to fight this stuff off .
I innoced when temps were pefect , but since then night time temps drop down to around 64*F , still nice temps in day .
THANYOU AGAIN for all the help .

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Help ID a mushroom Revised new gill info [Re: tripndicular]
    #990018 - 10/24/02 03:08 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry guys had some wrong data the first time around . Please re read original post if you read it before , changes are in bold . I will get better at this yet , I also will get a spore print and some photos of gills , when I get one big enough to open up . I tried by hand and they break up easily , need to bust out the knives and such . :tongue: :cool: 

--------------------

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #990153 - 10/24/02 03:51 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I am by far an expert in identification. It might be Pan. semiovatus or Cop. atramentarius.

IDing this specimen would be easier w/ an older specimen.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #990258 - 10/24/02 04:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I still think its Coprinus. The caps of the mushroom will probably melt over time and it will have a dark to black sporeprint.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Help ID a mushroom Revised new gill info [Re: Gumby]
    #990408 - 10/24/02 05:32 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah those are inky caps, coprinus'.

Keep shroomin,
GG

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #990833 - 10/24/02 08:05 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

if it whern't for the habitat i'd say those look exactly like cop. micaceus pins.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (10/24/02 08:06 PM)

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Help ID a mushroom Revised new gill info [Re: Joshua]
    #990858 - 10/24/02 08:14 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thnx again guys . I will take more photos in morning , hopefully there will be a mature one by then I can get spore print from . Watch for updates to this post please . If it helps by being more specific on region , this is in Arizona .
I hope you all noticed I made some changes due to my screwing up . :grin:
Could you all mention if species you believe it is ....is it toxic or not . I have no books at my disposal and it would be a great help if you gave that info with your guess .
Thank you
trip n d 

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Help ID a mushroom Revised new gill info [Re: Joshua]
    #992554 - 10/25/02 12:21 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Okay guys here is some more data . I had a rough time getting a print . I left it over night under a glass and when I came to it this morning , it looked like the cap exploded all over the place leaving a puddle of black goo in its place . I will make a better attempt when I can stay up to wait and remove cap before it oozzes .
Thes photos are not so great .......

The first is what happened during printing .

This one shows more mature mush , the colors of the cap changed , what used to be white or cream on the outer edges of the cap turned gun metal gray .

This is one of gills and spores....the gills have a dove grey color almost metalic looking .

I will attempt to get a better "print" .
Thanx again for all the input
trip n d

--------------------

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #992866 - 10/25/02 03:00 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Those are definately a Coprinus species. The deliquescing you see is the calling card of coprinus. Coprinus species are also known as "inky caps" for this reason.

This poem was taken from Mushrooms Demystified:

Their mass rotted off them flake by flake
'Til the thick stalk stuck like a murders stake,
Where rags of loose flesh yet tremble on high
Infecting the winds that wander by.

The genus include edible species, species that have alcohol interactions, and a few poisonous species.

I tried to norrow it down to a particular species, but am unable to.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #993210 - 10/25/02 05:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

as has been said, coprinus. perhaps micaceous, perhaps atramentarius, perhaps else...
only a few coprinus are worth eating. only a couple cause the poisoning when mixed with alcohol.
that one is prolly one that does interact with alcohol.
still good eatin, if fresh and young, before deliquescing.
i doubt that they will take over your patch. many species of mushroom coexist in the same substrate in nature. outdoors it would be unlikely that you could keep nout such mushrooms. mushrooms are often seen fruiting in overlapping clusters of various species, often more than just two.
i dont think you can get rid of them, but i dont think you need to.

did you innoculate the straw with fully colonized substrate, or with spore solution?
just curious.
good luck.
peace

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

Invisibletripndicular

Re: Help ID a mushroom Revised new gill info [Re: viscid]
    #994984 - 10/26/02 03:51 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I followed MOES OUTDOOR TEK , I added in some worm castings though .
I innoced with fully colonized milo/millet , about 2-3 pints worth , I also threw in some leftover agar dishes that had good mycelium on them . The patch is roughly the size of a 10 gal tank . I did notice the "invader" mushroom ( coprinus ) was mostly growing from pieces of hay(the stalks) , I did not see a "colony" of mycelium per se . I did dig in a little deeper in a few areas and saw the mycelium I spawned (I assume due to rhizos and color, and grain chunks ) nice and thick , but laying low in the substrate , not trying to surface . It is raining like a mo fo today , hope all was not drowned . I will drop in from time to time and check this post for added info .

Thank you everyone for all the help and knowledge , it has been a real treat hearing all the intelligent guesses as to what this is . I appreciate any and all research done on my behalf . I hope to come back again some day .

Anyone here know some good places in AZ to hunt for the "FUN" mushies ?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom