Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of pics)
    #1486539 - 04/23/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yesterday I decided to take a walk through an area that I had not really ventured into much before. My friend and I were just on a mission to find some lizards and snakes, not really thinking we'd find much mushrooms.

This place was right along the coastline, started off with some horse pastures, and then turned to beautiful medows and feilds of springtime flowers including California poppies and blue bonnets. Venturing further up the hike, it soon turned to a bay forest, then tan-oak, then to oak forests. There was a creek running through the forest area, which really made things moist, and we ended up finding some mushrooms!

We saw a lot of wildlife, and I'll only be posting the pictures which I think came out best. I think the most startling find was of the "Giant Pacific Salamander" which we had been looking for over the past few months without ever seeing one. It was a good 10 inches long, and was just a beauty!

Anyways, here are the pictures.

You know springtime is here when you start seeing these wild iris and blue bonnets!

Here is a species of Amanita. It was growing from the sand/debris under tan-oak. It was pretty small in size, and had no odor that I could smell.

This was a HUGE "polypore" that was just as hard as the oak log it was growing from. That is a quarter for size reference!! I'm not sure as it really classifies as a polypore.

Here's a real polypore. More flexible, but, sitll very hard. Notice that it has a black stem, a beautiful cap, with a very white underside. This was growing from oak as well.

I thought this looked like a candy cap. My friend has been borrowing my mushroom book for the last few days, so I havent been able to ID mushrooms that I was unsure of! It smelled pretty sweet.

A mushroom here that really looked like a mini-chantrelle. Im guessing Clitocybe or Inocybe? (Once again my book is being borrowed!!)

Now on to the Giant pacific salamander... One of the best finds I've had all year!! Notice the quarter for size reference. This thing was HUGE. The skin was extremely slimey. He tried to bite us too. The colors on his back were just beautiful as well.

We found two types of alligator lizards. I was unsure if they were different species, or were just male and female. We found two with Red, white, and black markings, and one with yellow and white.

And a bluebelly resting upon his pillow of sand.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of pics) [Re: angryshroom]
    #1486645 - 04/23/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Nice pictures yet again :-) your seeing in your area pretty much
the same fungi as mine at the moment :-) you
have better wildlife though :-(

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of pics) [Re: Paid]
    #1486893 - 04/23/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

great pix angry.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (04/23/03 06:09 PM)

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of pics) [Re: canid]
    #1487026 - 04/23/03 05:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i didnt know blue bonnets grew in cali. of course we have them here they are the state flower. we get whole fields covered in them it is really pretty almost looks like an ocean when the wind blows on them. do you get indian paintbrushes in cali? nice pics as always angry. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of pics) [Re: angryshroom]
    #1487462 - 04/23/03 08:41 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

nice salamander, you know this is a speiceis known for its vocalization, it is in fact the only salamander with a voice. id guess youre false chanterelles are just that, clitocybes. muscarine toxin i beleive

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of pics) [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1487558 - 04/23/03 09:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

My guess is that Amanita is Amanita ocreata (although I can't see a sack...). The Destroying Angel. Cool, wish I found one...

Nice pics. :laugh:

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (04/23/03 09:21 PM)

Anonymous

#1487807 - 04/23/03 10:54 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of p [Re: angryshroom]
    #1488072 - 04/24/03 12:39 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Excellent photos. Love the salamander and lizards.

oO_wombat_Oo - when identifying Amanitas, the volva is one of the first things to look at. Amanita ocreata (and its close relatives in section Phalloidae) have a membranous saccate volva. Other things to start with are whether the cap margin is striate, presence of absence of a ring, and whether the spores are amyloid or not. In this case there is no apparent volva, and the basal bulb isn't marginate or submarginate. The mushroom also isn't covered with warts or powdery patches. That kind of works this one down to section Validae.

We need bruising reactions to get close to species in that section. The main mushroom here would be Amanita rubescens. Unfortunately, there are a pile of very similar mushrooms, and David Arora recommends avoiding eating this species because it's so hard to know which exact one you've got. Since the basal bulb hasn't bruised to a brownish or reddish color I don't think it's rubescens. Amanita excelsa is the closest match I find, but I wouldn't bet much on that being right.

The big black polypore looks somewhat like a Phellinus, but I don't have a lot of confidence in that guess.

The other polypore suggests Ganoderma to me.

That Lactarius resembles Lactarius rufulus. Was it growing under oak? That would point to L. rufulus, along with the reddish color. (They are another Candy Cap).

That last one does suggest Clitocybe. It has an interesting texture to the stem.

You might want to be on the lookout for Amanita phalloides. Apparently there have been several collections of them within the last month or so in the LA area. Unfortunately, there was also a poisoning.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of p [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1488106 - 04/24/03 12:49 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of pics) [Re: ]
    #1488303 - 04/24/03 02:15 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks everyone !! :laugh: Im glad you guys like the pictures. I enjoy taking them and sharing... :smile:

Anyways, Michnast... I heard him quack once... I thought it was sort of weird. Its interesting how they are the only species of salamander with vocals!

ToxicMan, thanks for the great reply. Once I get my book back, I'll try to add to the identifications as well. The pictures of the Amanita didn't show the cap very well. It actually had a pinkish-buff cap that faded to white towards the margin. It was growing in an oak area.

Ohh man, Im off to bed, I just took a big dose of Nyquil so I could get some sleep tonight and stop coughing for maybe a few seconds.... sheesh  :ooo: :ooo:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1490180 - 04/24/03 03:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

SARS! =X

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms, lizards...giant pacific salamander (Lots of pics) [Re: Gumby]
    #1490354 - 04/24/03 04:51 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, I tought'd you at least put some input into the lizard pictures.

Are they two different species or just male/female!!!?? The alligator lizards im talking about.

cough cough cough... CHOOKEEE.

But you know whats crazy? The only report of SARS in the US was at the San Jose airport about 3 weeks ago... I was there the day before the plane landed with the kid that had SARS. The whole plane had come from Hong Kong, and they quarantined them. I was scared,but then I realized.. oh wait, i was there BEFORE. So now Im okay. But, I hear there was some cases over the hill in Santa Clara, and San Jose.

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
    #1492436 - 04/25/03 08:56 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Those are great!

Absolutely wonderful job angry!!

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate