Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Impulse Sealer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetsimehc
freak
Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer
    #988035 - 10/24/02 12:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

well.. after thinking and thinking... i must mention that im a insomniac because of my endless cursed thought... i though about the impulse sealer.. and how stupid and expensive it is.... let me say that sealers out there are not that complicated.. all they are made up with are: heating element, microswtich, timer, and teflon in a nice case.... oh yeah.. springs and hinges and screws.. bleh...

well.. i was like.. ok.... what kind of heating element.. so i looked and looked... and they use nichrome wire... yeah.. the stuff they use in toasters, kilns and other things... so what is nichrome.. well... u put a electric current through it.. and it gets hot... wow.... but impulse sealers dont use round wires but they use ribbons... 2mm = 1/8" ribbon.. per foot of the nichrome ribbon that is 1/8" is something like 2 dollars a foot... god danm thats cheap... 5mm=1/4" ribbon... 5mm is what most expensive impulse sealers use... and 1/4" per foot is 3 dollars.... i didnt know how thick the nichrome has to be.. but they offer .010 and .005...

now... i was like... "how the hell am i gonna keep the nichrome from melting into the plastic... well... then there comes teflon... max operating temp for tefon is 350 - 400f... geeze thats hot... well... i went out and looked... and i didnt know how thick the teflon they used in impulse sealers... so i figured that either you can buy replacement teflon stuff for the impulse sealer... or u can buy a roll of it... 1/2" x 10 yards x .010 is 6 bucks... .010 is less then 1/64".... so what....

all now we have to do is use our imaginations to make a impulse sealer that is safe to use.. safe to be around and reliable.... you can probly have a impulse sealer that can do the same stuff as the expensive models out there for a fraction... but that means you have to do it all yourself... boo hoo... but hey.. paying 120+ for a 12" sealer is theft....

tell me what you think... give me some ideas....

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

Loc: ghetto# 03479
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: tsimehc]
    #988116 - 10/24/02 12:50 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

good research. i had similar ideas, but i could never figure out what the heating element was made of. a little ingenuity and the right parts and you should be in business. i'd suggest wiring a potentiometer into your circuit so you can adjust the amount of electricity passing through the heating element.

--------------------
All refrences to and statements concerning mushrooms, mushroom cultivation, and mushroom related paraphrenalia refer specifically to the cultivation of legal species.

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: vaporbrains]
    #988599 - 10/24/02 04:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

a friend of mine showed me a cheap way to make a sealer with a hair straightner with the combs pulled out. maybe she will post it up here =)

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

#988620 - 10/24/02 04:32 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hello

Yeah i asked a few questions regarding an alternative to an impulse sealer cause i do agree, it is bloody expensive and pretty useless if you're just going to use it for spawn bags...anyways i remember seeing back home an infomercial about a bag sealer that would seal anything including big heavy compost bags...i ended up doing a search about it on google and found a few being auctioned out on ebay. I bought one for bloody cheap...equivelant to $3 + shipping = $12 (approx. ?8). I'll be receiving it sometime next week so i'll post something up here regarding whether or not it works...

Offlinetsimehc
freak
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: boO]
    #988944 - 10/24/02 08:59 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

yeah..i remember the hand held ones that run on a 9v battery... its really poor quality and unless you are steady at hand it works.. but its a thin seal... i dunno if its that... i want to make a quality sealer without paying the 120 dollar fee.... does anyone know the thickness of the teflon? cause you can allways order a replacement elements and teflon strips made for the impulse sealer and wire those up.... it may be easyer to get that then getting the wire and teflon and do an experiment....

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

OfflineboOM
Female User Gallery

#989100 - 10/24/02 10:49 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

if it's a thin seal always do a double so one on top of the other just about 1 cm apart

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: boO]
    #989585 - 10/24/02 02:58 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I am going to open my own thread about this but a iron works perfectly. I was also thinking of what I could do to make spawn bags and I went looking around for a sealer of some sort and couldnt find one for lwss that $100. But they did sell bags for $10 a roll of 11in by 18ft. I picked those up plus a couple of boxes of turkey sized oven bags. I am going to see if you can seal the oven bags too. Anyway all I could think of to seal the bags was an iron. I put it on high and it melted the bags too much so I switched it to low and it seals perfectly. I tested the bags for a seal by filling then with air an then putting them under water and squeazing them. No bubbles so I guess the seal is ok. There you go. A cheap sealer. It doesnt do a pretty job but it works.
Laters

Offlinetsimehc
freak
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: blahblahblah]
    #990567 - 10/24/02 08:40 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

i dont own a iron... get all my cloth sent to dry cleaners.... but even tho.. what happens you wanna seal 12" or more.. then its probly more cheaper to make your own 40" sealer then buying one...

------

i ordered 5 feet of 1/4" x .010 ribbon nichrome and 1/2" x 10 x .010 yards teflon tape.... im gonna get some aluminum sheeting and bang out a impulse sealer... ill post pics and everything when i get it all together... hrmm.. i could make a 5 foot sealer... mmm... naa.. lol.. ;] oh yeah.. the cost was 20 bucks for all that... not that expensive...

--------------------
-------------
cHemist

Edited by tsimehc (10/25/02 12:30 AM)

Offlineliquidmycelium
Stranger
    #6329966 - 12/03/06 01:09 PM (11 years, 12 days ago)

im thinkin about using a lighter to melt it whats everybodys thoughs

--------------------
im just an ex-con tryin to go straigh and get my kids back

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: liquidmycelium]
    #6332025 - 12/04/06 04:16 AM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Try this on for size.

Materials list

Clothes pins $3 at yardsale
flour $1

ok heres the guide.

you mix water and flour to make a paste...when heated it turns to glue....which will create a seal for your bags....so you take this paste and put it on the inside of your bags...more the marrier.

so with flour paste smeared everywhere inside the top of your bag(above your filter patch)....you fold down(tightly) the top of your bag and keep folding it until you have a big roll.

Next you clip your roll with your clothes pins to keep it tight and so it doesn't unroll during pressure cooking....make sure you use like 8 pins because they will fall off...i find that a mixture of spring loaded clothes pins along with regular clothes pins(without springs) work best.

when all said and done you can take the pins off after everything is cooled and you will have a fairly nicely sealed bag....i suggest putting some chip clips on the bag for extra measure.

Word of caution however...i havn't used this flour paste before but im 99% sure it would work....normally i just fold down the plastic bag at the top and use the clothes pins on it....after cooking the plastic is sort of melded together somewhat...i just leave the pins on and i don't have to use any sealer.....althow i do wonder if my bags are popping anywhere....i havn't seen any holes but maybe they are small.

p.s. clothes pins will mold if left in moisture

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleSofaKingGood
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #6333070 - 12/04/06 04:19 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

I was actually thinking about something along those lines. I was thinking about wheatpasting and how the water,flour ( and a LITTLE bit of sugar. Sugar helps in the glucose production I guess, I'm not sure why it works just know it does ) turns to a glue once getting dry.

--------------------
[quote]I8thesh400m said:
he-has-as-have-i-chek-My-ratings:thumbup:
to-the-post-origionator-5-to-you
there-are-nice-people-but-be-smart
my-spacebar-is-broke:p [/quote]

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: SofaKingGood]
    #6334585 - 12/04/06 11:58 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

actually i heard salt helps too for some reason...makes it harder or something, because i remember back in elementry we used to make maps n shit out of salt-flour.

edit- maybe the salt was just their so it was easier to mold.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Edited by makaveli8x8 (12/04/06 11:58 PM)

OfflineRigaCrypto
Hidden Heart
 User Gallery
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #6385182 - 12/19/06 03:19 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I've used a clothes iron to seal bags with no problems. I read about it on the Shroomery too, do a search.

Put the end of the bag in a fold of paper (you might also try aluminum foil),iron over it at maximum power for 1-2 minutes and let it cool without moving it. The result is plastic solidified into one and with the paper fused into it. You can make the seal as wide as you want like this, and it looks much sturdier than an impulse seal.

If you do this without a paper, the plastic tends to stick to the iron and when you detach them the plastic stretches and may form tears or little holes. I haven't had contaminations though even using this method for one bag.

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: RigaCrypto]
    #6385265 - 12/19/06 04:45 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Random thoughts-
-Yes baking bags will seal, I've done it.
-Look into woven fiberglass sheets for element covers. (very cheap per strip if you cut it into bands, found in auto or boat repair)
-Some cheap toasters use thin ribbon element instead of coils. The width of the element won't matter much if you adjust heating time to the sweet spot for what you're sealing.
-Maybe cover the outside of the fiberglass cloth with teflon tape? Long clips along either side would hold everything to the element.
-The timer switch in the toaster could probably be adapted, but might not be accurate enough...
-K.I.S.S.- You could also make the switch manual, so when you press down it connects. Getting the hang of how long to hold down wouldn't be much harder than adjusting the timer on a commercial sealer. Do a couple warm ups first for consistent results, just as with the manufactured machines.
-The pad strip underneath can be silicone. It could be just thick enough to spring open the electric connection when pressure is let off the element, for safety. (or use a spring)

Practical or not, I like playing around with making stuff too.

InvisibleGyromitra
Fungsmurf
 User Gallery

Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: Gyromitra]
    #6385275 - 12/19/06 04:53 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Oh yeah, the mica or whatever card that holds the wires in a toaster could also be cut down with a dremel and dust mask, for the backing strip on the top side.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: Gyromitra]
    #6385553 - 12/19/06 10:11 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I don't impulse seal. I simply twist the end and wrap a steel wire around the top of the bag. This allows it to be opened and re-sealed later for spawning, casing, or air exchange without cutting the bag up.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineLentinulaEdodes
Edible Warrior
 User Gallery

Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6391988 - 12/20/06 10:40 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

^^Exactly

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Makeing Your Own Impulse Sealer [Re: LentinulaEdodes]
    #6525620 - 02/03/07 06:39 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe using a smaller soldering iron and something else in conjunction with it to make a solid line...? I would like to know if there is any SOLID ways to do it without a sealer, I really don't want to buy one if at all possible.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #6529551 - 02/04/07 01:35 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
This 4 year old thread is not advanced and needs to be put to rest. All of the questions within have been answered already.
RR

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Impulse Sealer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology