Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedjneutron
ummmm...idunnnnoooo

Loc: OHIO
question about pressure cookers
    #977008 - 10/20/02 02:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I just went and bought a 22qt PC'r...is it alright to stack half-pint jars on top of each other while PC'ing? btw, this thing ROCKS compared to the 4.2qt pc'r i've been using!!

--------------------
www.sporesrus.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: question about pressure cookers [Re: djneutron]
    #977063 - 10/20/02 03:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, that sounds great! Must be nice to have a big PC like that!!

Yes, its fine to stack, just make sure they are pretty sturdy...perhaps a pyrimd style? :smile:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #977074 - 10/20/02 03:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It is fine to stack the jars. You can also move up to larger jars now too... quart jars with rye berries.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinedjneutron
ummmm...idunnnnoooo

Re: question about pressure cookers [Re: Seuss]
    #977181 - 10/20/02 03:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I agree about the bigger jars....I will go buy some qt sized jars soon...when i went to my local health store where i alwayz buy my brf and millet, they don't carry rye berries, but they let me fill out a form to the guy that orders there stuff to see if he can get it for me...I'm hopin he can,  itz right downt he road from me and much more convienent to go there than ordering online and waiting...but if he can't i will order the berries from earthstounge.com....thatz another thing, these guys r who i buy almost all of my stuff from, but I never hear anyone talk about them on here...they r also the only site ive ever seen (itz a new thing for them) that if your a first timer, u can buy 1/4 to 3/4 already colonized jars of your choice of strain...and they have BY FAR the biggest selection of spores and everything else you would ever need for cultivating...If u guys havn't seen them before, take a min to check them out!!

Thanx guyz!!!! :smile: 

--------------------
www.sporesrus.com

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #977246 - 10/20/02 04:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yup you can stack um.  If there are "feed" stores in your area. You can generaly find 50 pound bags of rye, there & a lot cheaper than health food stores.

You might also want to try WBS (Wild Bird Seed). It is cheaper than rye & as good, if not better. Because of the smaller seed size.

Go to quart jars, if you can. You get more bang for the buck. Often, you can find quart jars at thrift stores (GoodWill, Salvation Army & the like) for like 0.25 cents each. It is also canning season & major chain grocery stores generaly stock them by the case.

Once you have quart jars -- down. Learn G2G transfers. One colonized quart will get you 15 - 20 more via G2G & they colonize in less than 2 weeks, under optimal conditions.

Then find lots of dung, for use as a bulk substrate. Dung is the shitzzzzzz.  :grin:

6T :tongue:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white & red millet - with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $9.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin (a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable. Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some small brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil- while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Edited by SixTango (10/20/02 04:50 PM)

Offlinedjneutron
ummmm...idunnnnoooo

Re: question about pressure cookers [Re: SixTango]
    #977250 - 10/20/02 04:28 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanx 6T!!!

info is greatly appreciated...I havn't went to QT jars yet cause my old PC wasn't big enough, but I've been working with white millet that i buy from the local health store, I havn't done the G2G transfer's yet, but I will with the batch i just innoculated a few days ago...There is a feed store about an hour away or so, i'll look for one thatz closer...a 50lb bag would kick ass!!!

Thanx everyone for being great to me anytime i've posted anything...I appreciated ya'll...Keep up the great work!!!
:smile: 

--------------------
www.sporesrus.com

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #977550 - 10/20/02 07:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A few peeps PM'ed & asked why leave the lids 1/4 turn loose pre/PC, then tighten after PC'ing.

I use mostly plastic lids. LOL, that methodoligy is to resolve that sometimes the plastic lids -- if tight -- pre/PC. Cannot be unscrewed post/PC. Because they get tighter than Mo's grip on a bag of Welli :smile:, as he leaves some city slickers yard, when they let the dogs loose.

That is a pisser. 6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#977576 - 10/20/02 07:26 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I hear ya!! I was lusting after one of the big, sweet 22 qt'ers at Wally -World. Visions of QUART jars of grain!!!! No more 1/2pints. Damn!!- Quarts!!!
Johnny Sporeseed.

The only difference I could think of, is tha t the 'health food' store ingredients may be organic.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation