Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefirstpftek
Stranger

sterilizing jars and rubber seals
    #9631429 - 01/18/09 11:30 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I do not have the funds to purchase a new preasure cooker, so i just bought a 3 piece pot. It can hold up to 8 1/2 pint jars that sit on a steaming rack. I am just worried about the lid. I have not used it yet but i can tell that it will let some steam out. It does not have a rubber seal or anything on it. If i still steam the jars for an hour and a half will the jars still be sterilized even though the seal is not completly tight? I also have some conserns about the rubber seal on the jar itself, People say to put the rubber facing up why is this? and if i did already poke the holes with the rubber side down can i still use it facing down throught the intire procedure?
Thank You for your help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlackPeace
Self proclaimed CEO
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: sterilizing jars and rubber seals [Re: firstpftek]
    #9631457 - 01/18/09 11:36 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

What are you "sterilising" ?
The sterilisation is obtained buy the pressure. With pressure, water/steam can get up to 118 celcius. Without pressure the water boil and escape in steam at 100 celcius.

--------------------

Invisibledoze
Stranger

#9631473 - 01/18/09 11:38 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

yeah 90 minute steam sterilization is fine for pf cakes. and yes they will be sterlized even though some steam lets out.

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

InvisibleIcky
Chrome Gnome
Male
Loc: Bacon Road
    #9631505 - 01/18/09 11:44 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

90 minute steam sterilization is fine for pf cakes

:thumbup:

Rubber side up or down is a matter of personal preference.

I find it is easier to get the lids off rubber side up, after the jars a colonized.

Rubber side down I have to use a spoon, or something to pry them off sometimes. Prying the lids may damage them and is generally just a PITA.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: sterilizing jars and rubber seals [Re: Icky]
    #9631535 - 01/18/09 11:51 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I place a heavy bowl or another pot on top of my steamer.  that way it can build just a lil more pressure. IME.:):thumbup:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinefirstpftek
Stranger

Re: sterilizing jars and rubber seals [Re: 13shrooms]
    #9631770 - 01/18/09 12:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you for your help! I will place some kind of weight on the top of the lid when its steaming. Some people also say puting tape on the holes before it goes in steaming works best, but that seems like it might harm the substrate, is taping the holes the right thing to do or should i stick with just tin foil. Thank you for all your advice!

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #9632174 - 01/18/09 02:05 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

firstpftek said:
Thank you for your help! I will place some kind of weight on the top of the lid when its steaming. Some people also say puting tape on the holes before it goes in steaming works best, but that seems like it might harm the substrate, is taping the holes the right thing to do or should i stick with just tin foil. Thank you for all your advice!

tape on the holes is unnecessary if you have your dry verm layer in place.  if not use micropore tape (found by band aids section) to cover holes for gas exchange during incubation/colonizing.  u still use foil no matter what, its to keep water out during steaming.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: sterilizing jars and rubber seals [Re: Icky]
    #9632191 - 01/18/09 02:08 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

KeyMaster said:
Quote:

90 minute steam sterilization is fine for pf cakes

:thumbup:

Rubber side up or down is a matter of personal preference.

I find it is easier to get the lids off rubber side up, after the jars a colonized.

Rubber side down I have to use a spoon, or something to pry them off sometimes. Prying the lids may damage them and is generally just a PITA.

I think he meant a rubber seal around the lid for the steamer.

And for anyone who rides:
Shiny side up, rubber side down. :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag