Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Flame spore print before using?
    #900305 - 09/22/02 11:06 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Taken from:
http://www.theforestfloor.org/archives/main/How_to_Make_a_Clean_Room.html

"6. If using a spore print, dip in rubbing alcohol and flame off before you use it to scrap spores. I also find this helpful for all instruments that touch the cake, including knives used to cut out any contamination, always flame off alcohol"

Wont this kill the spores?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flame spore print before using? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #900315 - 09/22/02 11:11 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

They just left something out...or didn't word it well.

I think they are talking about a scapel or an Exacto knife.

You don't dip the spore print in rubbing alcohol or flame it.

Also.....you don't have to flame off alcohol....it evaporates into the air.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Edited by Roadkill (09/22/02 11:13 PM)

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Flame spore print before using? [Re: Roadkill]
    #900338 - 09/22/02 11:17 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Okay thanks, I thought they left something out as well, it didnt make sense.

Just needed someone to clear things up, wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong :P

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #900348 - 09/22/02 11:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Do NOT for any reason other than wanting to kill them expose spores to open flame , it will destroy them . You do as roadkill said need to sterilize any tools before dipping them into spore sample . :shocked:
Make sure you let tool cool off before dipping this to can kill them , spores will become sterile if they reach thermal death of 104*F - 106*F 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Flame spore print before using? [Re: Roadkill]
    #900365 - 09/22/02 11:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

LOUD Applause to Roadkill.

That question was "unintentional &  innocent" razzle bait, if I ever saw one.

Roadkill, You answered it with breaking out into laughter, at least publicly. :grin:

Don't spray alcohol inside your glove box either, then attempt to flame a needle in there -- right afterwards. You will get BURNED.

6T :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Flame spore print before using? [Re: SixTango]
    #900391 - 09/22/02 11:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh excuseeeeeeeeeee me :P

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Flame spore print before using? [Re: SixTango]
    #900619 - 09/23/02 01:16 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Oh come on 6T .............. alchohol "flashes " are cool looking ! :crazy:
Great piece of advice though . :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#900752 - 09/23/02 02:22 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hey SuperM,

No offense meant. I for one CERTAINLY dropped my drawers more than a few times  :blush:, when on the learning curve & asking questions. Take it with a grain of salt  :smile:. Not many can say they never asked a question, they wish they would not have  :wink:.

Best you can do for a "clean room" without spending big bucks is to use a roll of thick black plastic & carpet the floor, walls & ceiling of any room. You can get a 10 X 100 roll @ Home Depot or Lowes for around $20. A roll & lots of tacks or a screw gun & your on your way.

If that room is heated by a furnace? Best to plug the vents & heat it with a small ceramic type heater. Otherwise, the furnace will blow in contam's from it's intake & whatever else is lurking in the duct work.

Then, run the best hepa -- or hepa type filter in it, you can beg, borrow or afford to buy.

If you set up a "clean room" really well, you don't really need a glove box. For extra special clean work, like agar or G2G transfers. You can partition off a small work section with plastic, just a little bigger than your work table.

Wear clean cloths. Wash up. Go in, spray Lysol, run the filter or filters & give then a while to clean the air in the room.

Wear a hat or shower cap over your hair, use the best face mask you can get (3M recommended), spray & wipe your work surface down & go for it.

In a relative clean room, Most contam's in G2G transfers are one's you breath into the work or fall out of your hair. Keep that in mind.

If you want to get fancy? Make it a "positive" pressure clean room. Rig an outside air source & filter that incoming air. Have the air exit smaller than the intake. Which will create positive pressure in the room.

If your clean room is also your grow room area. Metal filing cabinets work great for incubating jars in. A heat pad under a metal filing cabinet "generaly" works perfect -- on low. It will maintain the temp inside the file drawers around 80 F, under normal conditions.

Against one wall, build some racks to hold your tubs. Rig it so you can cover the front of the rack w/plastic. That way -- once you get that far, you can rig a cool mist or whatever to maintain RH in that area.

If you use a shed, barn, garage or any out/building? Set mouse traps. Those little bastards can really create havoc in a substrate. They like to dig up grain.

If it is anywhere there are flie's or gnats? Get yourself one of those electric light bug zappers & hang it out. Gnats love dung/straw substrate as a breeding ground.

If you can find & afford an AA PC. They are the best $$$$ can buy & will last a lifetime, if cared for.

While some will disagree. Wild bird seed mix of red & white millet is about the best bulk spawn for the money. The smaller seed provides more innoc points.

IMHO, Besides custom compost. Horse / cow dung & wheat straw are the best bulk substrates. You will get BIG fruits.

Any questions. Just ask. I promise not to razz you & wish you all the luck in the world.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: Roadkill]
    #901588 - 09/23/02 01:24 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Flame spore print before using? [Re: vatoloco]
    #901710 - 09/23/02 02:14 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Yo VatoLoco,

Just nuke them. They pop like pop corn. J/K ......... :crazy:.

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Flame spore print before using? [Re: vatoloco]
    #901944 - 09/23/02 04:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

wait, you guys don't flame sterilize your prints?

Of course not, that would fry the spores!  The only thing I do with my prints is hydrate them with a few shots of kentucky moonshine.  You can drink the stuff afterwards, too!  :grin:

Note: To those who wouldn't know better, this post is laced with sarcasm. 

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Edited by mickey_rourke (09/23/02 04:42 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation