Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
9 days no signs of life :(
    #892485 - 09/19/02 05:00 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No signs of life on the 9th day the temps are in around low 80's and theres 0 growth. burntup substrate?

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: 9 days no signs of life :( [Re: socratesmind]
    #892510 - 09/19/02 05:31 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

if you dont have any contams yet, such as bacteria, then please do yourself a favor and wait some more. you cant do anything. sometimes the spores are not so strong or not well hydrated in the syringe etc

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

OfflineSwondPooping
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Female
Loc: third drawer from the top...
    #892513 - 09/19/02 05:42 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Its really okay! my first batch, I thought I screwed up completely, I didn't have any growth for 2 weeks, I had a second round of jars already colonizing that I had innoculated a week later. If you don't have any contaminations, you are way ahead of the power curve.

one thing I know I did wrong was not allow any gas exchange in the jars, so I uncovered the holes and they went like mad!

Good luck to you

pc

K

--------------------
^Pure Fiction^
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

OfflineDISCGOLFNDOSE
Chain Ringer
Loc: International Waters (Oil...
Re: 9 days no signs of life :( [Re: SwondPooping]
    #892904 - 09/19/02 09:59 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

? always use tin foil for that reason tape has no gas exchange. Tin foil the top close the box, tape and ? have vever had a contam this way. What did you inoc. with store bought syringe or homemade from a print?

--------------------
Leave me alone I'm a Botanist not a Mycologist.

gRiP-n-RiP

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: 9 days no signs of life :( [Re: DISCGOLFNDOSE]
    #893002 - 09/19/02 10:42 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well of course i'm going to wate the substrate shows no signs of contams :smile:  But only chance i think i fucked up was maybe baked the substrate to have no water in it :frown:  but i have just the lids and tape on them right now over the lids and the lids are on loosely.  was thinking of ordering some sterile jars from micron magick just to make sure its not my sterilization procedures

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Anonymous

#893131 - 09/19/02 11:22 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

smell the holes, if you get a funny smell, like mildew or yeasty smell, your jar is trash. Too much water will make it smell like mildew. If you cant really smell anything, open a jar and smell it, make sure thier's no foul odors, and check the substrate consistancy. chuck the dry verm and wipe the inside of the jar and replace dry verm. you got about 50-50 chance of contams after that, but it's the tester jar, and better see if it colonizes than to chuck it and not try. I recently did this and had contam around the verm/substrate layer, so i openeed it again and cleaned it out, cut out 1/2" of substrate (taperd pint) and replace the verm. didnt get any contams after that, and the jar is doing fine.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: 9 days no signs of life :( [Re: ]
    #893213 - 09/19/02 11:49 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Whoooa there cowboy!!! Never ever ever put your nose up to the holes and sniff. Never sniff de jars period. If there ever is a contam in a jar you can usually smell it from a mile away. By sniffing jars you can inhale a concentrated amount of all sorts of nasties that can make you very very very sick. If you absolutely must, waft some air towards you, but never stick your schnaz in and take a big ol' whiff.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Anonymous

Re: 9 days no signs of life :( [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #893426 - 09/19/02 01:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

well, i didnt mean take a big snort, i meat take a light whiff. using the hand trick usualy doesent work since the holes are so small, and with the verm layer and all. although you should do that when smelling the substrate when you take the lid off

InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: 9 days no signs of life :( [Re: ]
    #893644 - 09/19/02 03:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If I were you, maybe increase the temp. 80 degrees seems fine but maybe like 85 would be primo. Seal the lids up after you steam them, you dont want crap getting in after that. Seal up the holes too. Dont go by smell, but experience. If the cakes dont show myc growth then there is probably a problem. For me, my cakes fully colonized and I accidently dunked, drained, left it in the jar for a night, and then dunked again. Before I dunked again I took a smell, and it had a fermented mushroom smell, but that was only stale air and my cakes are fine. Give it time and just see. You still have hope.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation