Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUHID
enthusiast
Loc: IL
Coco in lieu of perlite?
    #865841 - 09/05/02 05:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

hey folks-

my friend isn't going back to cultivation with cakes any time soon, but he was wondering if anyone ever tried using it in a tub to maintain humidity.  i.e., instead of one inch of perlite at the bottom of a tub with numerous cakes resting on it, why not put an inch of moist coco at the bottom of a tub and put your cakes on that?

has anyone tried this, yet?  it seems to me it would work great...

take care!  stay safe...
-b
:tongue:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Coco in lieu of perlite? [Re: UHID]
    #865900 - 09/05/02 06:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

coco coir is almost entirely a form of cellulose, of which there are numerous chemicaly differant forms. Most mushroom mycelium produces enzymes and acids that are capable of breaking cellulose down into sugar for digestion. yes, P. cubensis will digest cellulose in various forms, even though it is not a wood-lover.

if you place live mushroom mycelium in contact with coir, then the mycelium will begin to colonize it. this would not be bad except that it may send chemical messages throughout the mycelial web that tells the cake to remain in vegatative colonization mode instead of make babies mode. for certain strains like b+, except for pins that are allready on the cake, you may not get ANY new pins, and the ones you have may not grow into full sized adults, or may grow very slowly.

the amount of time a substrate is allowed to grow in the vegatative state is in direct opposition to total yield of fruitbodies. as a rule then, colonization time should be kept to a minimum.

since P. cubensis is not a wood-lover, it does not fully utilize the food available in the coir.

OfflineUHID
enthusiast
Loc: IL
Re: Coco in lieu of perlite? [Re: tchyted]
    #866027 - 09/04/02 07:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

if you're exposing a fully colonized cake to light, why would it fail to pin simply because of resting on the coco? how is it different than using coco as a casing layer?

i'm not sure i understand completely, but even if the cakes can't come in direct contact with the coco (like how many people place cakes on foil when using perlite so that the cakes don't contact the perlite), i think it has distinct advantages over perlite. it's easier to tell how wet coco is than how wet perlite is.

In reply to:

the amount of time a substrate is allowed to grow in the vegatative state is in direct opposition to total yield of fruitbodies

can you explain this or tell me where you read about it? i haven't heard that before.

take care!
-b

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation